Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e (Read 21 times)

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person'sdetermination. (Tommy Lasorda)

Arla - Good for your for taking the high road in that encounter.  I agree with Ev - that woman knew she was wrong and was taking it out on you.  Unleashed dogs scare the carp out of me, and the owners are oblivious to their wrongdoing.  Very happy you didn't get bit.

I survived the race Saturday and had fun at the same time.  Came in 76th out of 78th overall and 7/8 for my age group.  Not exciting placements, but I don't care as I'm usually toward the bottom in these races.  The important thing is I didn't injury anything, I had fun, and I came in under 8 hours on a hard course.  6,000 feet of elevation gain with only the first 1-1.5 miles being flat.  Only one bad turn toward the end, but the crew at the Tennessee Valley Aid Station shoved some jelly beans and Pepsi down me, and after a few minutes I perked right up.  I gotta remember that when I start feeling down and depressed but the rest of the body is doing decent, it's a sugar crash and nothing else.  Makes you feel kind of stupid, but I got over it.  Jelly beans and Pepsi - quite the pick me up!  My quads and calves are fairly sore from all the climbing and descending, but things should be fine a couple of days.

Will be in recovery mode this week.  Yea!

Another lesson learned - don't eat stuff bell peppers the night before.  Yeah.  Not a good idea.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles (w/Trail Factor 50k) - Cascade Crest, WA/Astoria, OR/Portland, OR

June 7 - Grasshopper Peak Redwoods Run 30k - Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA

July 12 - Mt. Hood 50 - Mt. Hood, OR

Oct 11 - Firetrails 50 - Lake Chabot, CA

"The farther you go outside, the farther you go inside." (Unknown)
    Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

I was suppose to get up and run an EZ 3 this morning, but I didn't want to, so I'll be stuck doing them in the rain after work.  Oh well.

Yesterday, I went home after an hour and a half at work 'cause I was nauseated and had a headache.  I think it was just overly tired from the weekend and the driving. Today, except for a very slight headache, I feel much better.  I was sitting at work yesterday morning, when I got that sudden feeling of, "Oh boy.  I may be revisiting breakfast!"  Sat there for a couple of minutes, then told my co-worker, "I'm going home," and I was outta there.  Banana, crackers, and chicken noodle soup helped.  Now I'm eating chili beans!  Big grin

Leslie
      -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles (w/Trail Factor 50k) - Cascade Crest, WA/Astoria, OR/Portland, OR

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Finally!!

Photo: sound like anyone you know?

Not sure why this didn't work when I tried before, but does this remind you of anyone?

Arla--I think pepper spraying the owner would have been much more satisfying, even if not necessarily the brightest solution.  I can't understand owners that are that oblivious.  Must be nice to be so special that rules and courtesy only apply to other people.

Leslie--glad you enjoyed your race on Saturday.  You came PRETTY close to your prediction.  What great prize did you miss out on?  Good sugar rush.  I'm guessing chili beans signal recovery?

Ev--I fianlly had to retire my two orignal Boutique Tarjay running shorts when all the elastic gave up the ghost after 5+ years and modesty was problematic.  I've gotten really good service out of Starter and the C9 gear.  I also pass through Marshall's from time to time and pick up the real brand names when they're really cheap.

Joe--sure doesn't sound like you're slacking.  besides, once the spring actually arrives, the temptation will take back over.

I took the advice that I got and did 10 miles with some hills in the middle instead of the 14 I had thought about.  Felt good, but tiring.  May not matter in the short run.

About 8" on the ground when I left to drive into boston this morning.  Normal 40 minute drive took over 1-1/2 hours.  Bleh.  the reason I went in was for a stress test as a follwoup for my ablation of 4 years ago.  Everything went well until the 4th segment and my EKG showed something that they didn't like.  The doctor that was there said there's nothing major to worry about but I should talk with my regular cardiologist--there may be something to do with my meds.  Double bleh.  Unfortunately it was something I was a little suspicious about, but guessing that I don't see as major an effect becasue I always take all my pills after my runs instead of before like I was instructed today.  So now I don't know whether I can do my half on Sunday.  triple bleh.

Richmond, here I come.................November 15th will be here quicker than I know.

Stumpy - Your doc may not want you to run the half?  Do the meds make you feel crappy if you take them before your runs?  Don't give up yet.  See what he has to say.  Tell him you'll run really slow!! Big grin

PS - The chili beans meant they were already in a bowl to take to work from yesterday, and I was too lazy to fix anything else.  Black eye

3 slow miles this evening before the storm blew in.  My legs are tired, but felt good.  Just finished up with watching "Doc Martin," and now I'm hittin' the hay for the night.

Sweet dreams ~

Leslie
          -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Had my choice of 2-4 miles to run this a.m., so I split the difference and ran 3.  It was a chilly run, but my legs felt surprisingly spry as I ran a bit faster than "EZ."

Leslie
            -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Leslie, nice going on the, what was it a 50K?....wow!  Jelly beans and pepsi.....check.  No stuffed bell peppers.....double check.

Stumpy, hope things work out well for you with the EKG thing.

It's cool, it's misty, it's great running weather.  I'm fixin' to head out for a very short one, here in a bit.

Enjoy!

MTA....the drizzle was so fizzle that I did an 8 spot.  Expecting snow tomorrow, so I'll do the vry short one then.  It's snowing as I speak.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Still snowing???  I thought it was spring.  Come on, Mother Nature!  Give 'em a break!

Well, yesterday Karen and I ran our last training run together (10 miles), then we tackled more packing and cleaning so that she didn't have a ton to do today.  Came over last night, and the three of us made pizzas, then, of course, she and I had the very teary "see ya later."  Karen is more than just a running partner and friend.  We're as close as two people can be to being sisters without being blood, and we've spent hundreds of hours and miles along side each other.  Heck, without her, I never would've gotten into running.  I am so going to miss her.

Leslie
                -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

flatland mountaineer

I have been hanging in about 20 miles per week. We have been getting equipment ready and did get to the field some last week before more snow and very cold temps, near 0 last 2 nights. Did a 6 miler yesterday in full winter gear, Dessa Lou ran another coyoted down, didn't see the finish she was over the hill, she usually will just roll them then come back. She can catch them in about 150 yards, she is a serious athelete!

Stumpy hope you get your cardiac rythym issues sorted out. You were running really well hopefully nothing serious.

Leslie congrats on your race finish. Glad you had a good sendoff for Karen.

Arla kudos for taking the high road with the dog incident. Actually that dog owner was in big trouble if you wanted to push it. Lynda was walking
                  Dessa Lou at a farm show when they were attacked by a off leash pit bull. Thank goodness it was pretty old and toothless and when LuLu figured out that dog wasn't playing put a pretty good whuppin' on it and bloodied her up pretty good. When the owner showed up looking pretty much like the dog,ragged and toothless and had to deal with Lynda!

Hey Ev, see you are dealing with the plains snow storms too, at least it is wet, nice 8 spot.

Hiyas to Joe Carol and any others lurking out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Dang!  That must be quite a site of Dessa Lou running down a coyote.  Holy cow!

Put in 4 miles on Tues and 5 on Wed, so decided against running this morning and will do my scheduled 5 tomorrow instead of taking tomorrow off.  I figure this is my last week of being able to mess around, so I may as well enjoy it.  Next week everything starts on the increase to prepare for May.  I've already decided that even though it'll suck, I will be dividing my time between running out in Trinidad, which gives me opportunity for some flat running and running in the Community Forest or at Headwaters, which is all climbing.  There's climbing out in Trinidad, but not like the other two where there's nothing but.  I figure it's the only way I'm going to survive Headlands 50 come September, not to mention it should give me an edge over the first day of WS training when we climb in and out of the canyons.  Last year was an eye-opener.  This year I will be more prepared

Leslie
                    -------------

Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

6er for me this afternoon, back in shorts and t.

Leslie, people come into our lives at just the right time for just the right reason.  Karen was a good friend and running partner and she'll be missed.  You said without her you would have never gotten into running.  That was at least one of her purposes in your life.  Enjoy!

Stump....Tarjay has some good stuff alright.  I've browsed but never bought anything there....yet.  I'm waitin' on a good sale. Smile   Wow! I haven't used an emoticon in a long time.  It felt, uh, good.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Finally!!

Happy April's fools day.  Been a little quiet around here.  People enjoying spring?  I realized it's been quite a while since I've been here. too.

12.12 miles yesterday.  It was a little chilly at the start at 33°, but ended up at 50° at the end.  Not too fast, but a pleasant run.

Today I finally got a call back from my cardiologist to go over the stress test. He told me that the reaction that I had during the test was not a-fib or dangerous.  the drug that I take can act as a limiter when you get above a certain HR.  The fact that I had taken it before the test (as instructed) made for a bigger reaction.  So I can still run, but I guess I have a reason (excuse?) for not running too fast.  Just take the pills after running like I have been.  Onward and upward.  Week and a half away from my 10K in Richmond.  I was hoping that I'd have enough miles in to be able to go a little faster than last year.  I was aiming to run my age (a young at heart 57), but I'll settle for under an hour.

Hope everyone is well and running happily.

Richmond, here I come.................November 15th will be here quicker than I know.