Masters Running

Yoga (Read 265 times)

I'm pretty new to RA so I thought I'd ask you folks what might seem like a crazy question. Can anyone recommend pre and post run yoga poses? I'd probably use them because I don't seem to stretch enough and my legs get tired, or maybe it's me hitting the 55 mark! Big grin Any info is appreciated! Or should I just do yoga on a non running day? Is that considered cross training or a day off? Thank you.
      I'm pretty new to RA so I thought I'd ask you folks what might seem like a crazy question. Can anyone recommend pre and post run yoga poses? I'd probably use them because I don't seem to stretch enough and my legs get tired, or maybe it's me hitting the 55 mark! Big grin Any info is appreciated! Or should I just do yoga on a non running day? Is that considered cross training or a day off? Thank you.
      Hi Midpacker. I don't do any yoga pre-run (I don't stretch before runs either) but post-runs my typical "stretching" includes downward dog poses, lunges, cobra pose -- sort of a modified sun salutation. These are pretty basic poses you can find on any website or book about yoga. I now run in the late afternoon and often wait until the evening to do the yoga, just for time reasons. If I'm good, I'll do some seated poses, too, and really stretch the hamstrings and back. I also do a form of inversion where I put my legs up against a wall after all of my long runs. That feels wonderful. Try it. Smile I don't know if yoga is considered cross training or not, but I do think it's a wonderful compliment to running. I'm just starting to get back into yoga classes. For now, all I can manage is one class after my Monday evening runs. Going from that run right into an hour long class is heaven. I sleep like a log on Monday nights. Yoga in general may not help your legs feel any less "tired," (hmmm, that inversion sure helps with tired long run legs, though) but, if you're like me, it will help wth those runner-tight hamstrings and calves and also probably help prevent injuries related those areas. And, as runners we know all too well how those muscles in the body are connected...

Renee the dog

Gosh I love yoga and I'm the worst still at remembering the names of the poses. Black eye If I can only do one stretch at all, it is a simple forward bend and hold for 30 seconds. Touch the floor, and really fold your belly onto your thighs and learn to straighten your kness over time (gently). For me, this keeps my piriformis loose, which then doesn't start to irritate my ITB, so it's a failsafe for me. Plus, your hamstrings will love you for practicing that pose. Another pose that I love is pigeon for opening up the hips. I actually do a bunch of poses mixed with ITB-related stretching on the evening before my running. Good luck and let us know how it is working for ya!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Question for those of you who do Yoga. I've been practicing now for about 8 weeks. I can already tell a tremendous difference in my flexibility and how my back feels etc. The one thing I do not seem to be getting any better at is my balance poses though. I think when you can't quite get your heels to the floor during downward dog, or have to bend your knees some to touch the floor, no one really notices. But when you're flailing all over the room just to try to do a dancer pose, everyone notices. Can anyone give me advice on what I can do to improve my balance besides keep practicing? I've been trying to just stand on one foot sometimes when I'm standing in line etc. Will this eventually get any better or will I always look like a dork doing balance poses?
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
            scubagrrl, Balance gets easier over time. The one thing I'd say is remember to breathe and relax. That will help a lot. Also, focus on one spot on the floor just ahead of you when you're looking down. If it's a pose where you are looking over your arm or shoulder behind you, look for a spot on the wall behind you. And, remember it's not how "well" you do at yoga. It's how you feel doing it. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. I think I have the tighest hamstrings in my class thanks to marathon training, so when everyone else can grab their toes and straighten their legs in a raised "V" shape and mine are all bent and I can only reach my shins, well, who cares? And, if it helps, there are still a few poses I can't balance well in and I've been doing off/on for several years now! Namaste. Smile
              Thanks Soundrunner. I guess I'm really suprised at how much trouble I'm having with this. I do quite a few sports, like skiing, skating, etc. that require balance. How is it that I don't seem to have any? We were just doing the tree in the beginning and I seemed to be starting to get much better with that. But now she's switched over to this dancer pose and I'm just all over the place. Think next time I'm going to try to get a spot closer to the wall so I can put my hand out for balance.
              Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers