Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.3.14 (Read 40 times)

evanflein

I like lightling, that's great. I only say lightening if I'm referring to the brightening of the sky after it's been dark, gloomy and overcast. I believe that's the correct word. The other thing that drives me nuts is nuculear. I think that's mostly a spoken error rather than written. My auto-correct didn't like it. Let's not even get started on the use of lose vs. loose.....

Cute picture, TomS. That boy always has such a bright smile. And a trike with two front wheels isn't really a tricycle, is it??  Smile

I wasn't sure what to run today, but it apparently should be about 9 miles, right?

I've always wondered how drunken noodles got it's name. Haven't had it in years though. I usually go for something with a lot of mushrooms and ginger when we go for Thai food.

C-R, so sorry to hear about DW's broken wrist. That can be a difficult recovery. Glad you'll be home soon. When DS2 was almost 2, he fell off the bed at a family dinner gathering and broke his arm. DH was on a business trip. I asked him to be really sure not to miss that flight home!

No rain expected today, except maybe an afternoon thundershower. I can hardly believe it. Holly, those afternoon thundershowers (short, hard, intense) are what we usually get. These all day and all night heavy downpours are not usual at all for us. The newspaper is featuring a lot of photos of flooded yards, water running over roadways, sinkholes, mudslides, you name it. Pretty exciting stuff for a little river town like ours.

I have been AWOL for the past few days.  I was not running anyway and my SIL's 60th birthday celebration covered several of the days, along with a mini business trip.  I am back and ran 6 miles today!  Nothing hurt!  Well nothing hurt worse than I would expect after not running much for weeks and then running.  Still, at this point I appear to be just out of shape and as injury free as I can be at 54.

Spareribs one thing I learned a long time ago -- never, ever try to best a cook from Texas!  If you have any spare pork left I would be happy to relieve you of it!  Just freeze it up, pack it along with dry ice and ship next day mail.  It will be fine.  Really!  

C-R best wishes to your DW and her recovery from her broken wrist.  I did mine in when I had a skiing accident way back in the mid-90's.  All I can say is that PT works.  If she keeps at it she can likely get back to good as new.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Just a quick post. Surgery went well. Delta got me home early and life is good.

Thanks for thinking of us my imaginary internet masters running friends.

Have a safe 4th.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Every time I saw Nunn yesterday I had to laugh, waiting for someone to say something. EK came through for us.  It's like "lightening", my own spelling pet peeve.

grop, grop, grop.

Slowly-boiled pork bellies with most of the fat is boiled away have long been a staple in Okinawa and associated with the island populace’s exceptional  longevity.  Now the soft and tender, tasty, striated fatty morsels are sold in convenience store vacuum packs thoughout Japan for microwave warming or as-is. . 
          message to mikemp: oishii.
          ps - erika’s japlish is progressing too. <<<(lightling)>>>

Pork after simmering for two hours

Pork after simmering for two hours  (if it works)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Got out for a good hilly run today. Figured I've got this wonderful hilly area all around me, and I need hill work, so why not? The roads behind our house are dirt roads, low traffic mid-day and very hilly. Perfect. 10.7 miles of this:

Start to mile three is out from our house, heading down to the main road and up a big hill to the north. Turned around at mile 3 and came back, but at mile 6 instead of heading home, I kept going up the hill. Yowza that beast is steep! Miles 6-8 are on that hill behind our house, turn around at mile 8 and come zipping back down (about 7:30's for those miles) to the paved road, then turn around and come back up the hill the last half mile to home. What would Pro from Dover say? I believe Woof is in order.

C-R, glad your wife's surgery went well and that you were able to get home early. Yay all around.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hopefully, I won't accidentally delete my post, tonight, like I did last night.  I actually took some time and wrote something rather than just ducking in and out.  Then DW called me up for supper and I got all excited, hit a combinations of keys, or something and--poof--it was gone.

But, tonight...I am wiped out...so...ducking in...I ran 3 easy plus 3 at a 6:40 pace then 4.2 easy for a total of 10.2 miles in 1:16:19.

Okay--that's it--I'm ducking out.  See ya!

Oh--Erika--if you had repeated that first 6 again it kind of would have spelled, "WOW"...kind of.

Mariposai

C-R thanks for the update on your sweetie's surgery. Glad to hear you were able to make it home.

ERIKA those are hills

Enjoy the time with your brother Holly.  You are lucky to have them there. I wish I had the same blessing. Give them love.

Lovely evening here. A glass of wine anyone? Ohh and my grape arbor is a fun place to drink the wine and enjoy the hummingbirds visiting my flowers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Yikes, C-R! Sorry to hear about DW.

Everything in moderation.

What the hell is that? Some crazy hippy thing?

It's great that David is on the mend.

Wow TomS. What a good looking guy.

SteveP

Oops posted in the wrong day

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx