Masters Running

Charlevoix (MI) Marathon - Sat, June 27, 2015 (Read 61 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Bump.  Also a few questions:

1.) I am planning to fly in Thursday and leave Sunday, unless someone advises otherwise.

2.) Flying into Traverse City make sense?  Please advise as I'd like to reserve plane tickets soon since I'm using FF miles.  Thanks in advance.

3.) I still haven't cancelled the room, in case we need/want it.  I'd really like to stay in the house, just know space is at a premium and would like to accomodate as many as possible.  SO let me know.

4.) Anyone know if Breger is coming?

5.) Is Tag wearing a cape?

I know its only January, but I'm excited!  Promise to keep ankle well from now to then.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Ok, let't get a head count for those staying at the house.  Here is who I have so far (let me know if I am wrong):

Holly

Tara (my friend from Ohio)

Slo

Perch (and DW?)

Amy (and DH?)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Not sure if I have a traveling partner yet Holly. (DW)

What are the house accomondations again?

Sayhey! MM#130

Prolly not DH, but I asked my Rapid City running buddy who now lives in Duluth but is moving to South Bend.  She's a super person--runs a training/fitness program for a trucking company.  She's from western Michigan.

Amy, Traverse City is definitely the best place to fly into -- really the only choice unless you want to drive a couple hours (or know somebody with a private plane). I'm sure some arrangement can be made for someone to pick you up/drop you off when the date gets closer and everyone knows their travel plans better.

I can't believe that Breger wouldn't already know about this, and after all he's basically "local" now.

I'm not sure at this point if my DW will be along or not. We will have just returned from a long driving trip to Canada (Quebec and Montreal) and also the long-time priest at her church is retiring and that's his last weekend. I'm also not sure at this point about my distance either. If you asked me today if I can do the HM by then I'd say "no way," but I might change my mind when the weather changes. Worst case I'll downgrade to the 10K. My right elbow is unaffected.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p279995?utm_source=sy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20141118&utm_content=prop_text_t_LPROP&utm_campaign=InqiryConfirmation

What are the house accomondations again?

Slo - the house has a master bedroom on the first floor, 3 bedrooms upstairs, and a bonus room with a sofa-bed - so it can sleep 10 if we are two to a bed.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Except I don't think the wimmin are allowed to sleep with you...

Slo

Except I don't think the wimmin are allowed to sleep with you...

Damn the luck!

Sayhey! MM#130

Damn the luck!

heh heh....what Holly sez goes.

Sayhey, I am ticketed up, getting into Traverse City (Cherry Capital Airport) on Thursday, the 25th at 5:30 pm.

Leaving same at 10:30 am Sunday the 28th.

I'd be happy to share a rental car with someone or take the Batmobile if it is available (I can donate gas money, biscuits, and Charley Boy ice cream).

Since I'm using FF miles, I went ahead and got me my seats.  I'm getting my Vernor's on!

grins,

A

SteveP

heh heh....what Holly sez goes.

Sayhey, I am ticketed up, getting into Traverse City (Cherry Capital Airport) on Thursday, the 25th at 5:30 pm.

Leaving same at 10:30 am Sunday the 28th.

I'd be happy to share a rental car with someone or take the Batmobile if it is available (I can donate gas money, biscuits, and Charley Boy ice cream).

Since I'm using FF miles, I went ahead and got me my seats.  I'm getting my Vernor's on!

grins,

A

I work just a couple of miles from the airport. If I'm not done by touch down, I'll make sure the vehicle is there and our company is programed into the GPS. I wasn't planning on going up until Friday. If you would like, we have plenty of room. Taggy usually does not play dress up when it's warm. Looking forward to the weekend.

SteveP

If I can ever get my running shoes out of mothballs, I MAY consider the half or maybe the 10K.  I'd hate to miss seeing all my old runnin' buds.  No guarantees at this point.  (I'm about 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours north of Charlevoix.)

Charlevoix is a really neat little tourist town, especially in the summer.  I happened to be driving through the town this last summer when the Expo was going on.  The full and half marathons run along Lake Michigan for a good part of them on a really great bike path.  You will LOVE that view and the path.  Gorgeous.  That bike path actually goes all the way to Petoskey, Harbor Springs and further north.

Mushroom houses.  Ha!  Hadn't heard that term used but it makes sense.  There is a REALLY big, expensive mushroom house right on the water not far from that drawbridge that I've always called the "Hobbit House".  Spectacular!

Traverse City is the best airport option if you don't want to drive from Detroit.  There is an airport in Pellston as well but it can get pricey.  Detroit is actually not a terrible option.  The drive isn't too long and there are many more flight options due to it's size.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

At the rate things are going around here, I may still be in Michigan in June.  If so, I'll drive and watch the race.

Still no word on when the people in the WV condo are moving out. I guess because they don't know when the people in the house they bought are moving out.  And here in Michigan our contractor got a job building a boat, which is apparently more fun than fixing up an old house, and we still have some stuff to get done before we put our house up for sale.  We are about 90% ready, just some little things to fix up. If our guy won't be coming back for a while then we'll have to go looking for someone else.

SteveP

I delivered windows to a restaurant that's been demolished and is being rebuilt. The owner expects to be open by memorial day. It's right on Lake Charlevoix. The ferry that lands at the place had 16 seats added for people who want to park and ride as opposed to taking their vehicle. It's caslled "The Landings". It's a potential option.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Trying to get my former Rapid City running buddy to join us.  She's moved to Niles, MI, so it's a about 4.5 hours away for her.  She's a fitness trainer for a trucking company, really swell person.   She had moved to Duluth from Rapid; stayed with her last year when I ran Grandma's.

Marathon Maniac #957

The more the merrier!