Masters Running

Solstice Sunday, June 21, 2015 (Read 36 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm feeling like a jerk.  I was coming up on my last mile of a 6 mile easy run...I was just plodding along and looking forward to being done...when a younger woman came up along side of me.  I think I've told you guys how, in 22 years of running up and down this street, I have only been passed twice...once in the final miles of a 30 miler and once as I ran with Ryan during his very 1st 10 miler before his 9th grade CC season.  So...rather than just picking up my speed, I tried to talk to her...and run with her.  Of course she had to turn down the music she was listening to and she looked kind of annoyed.  I asked her if she was training for something, she said no, then she made the mistake of asking me if I was training for something....and I told her.  I found out that she graduated a couple years before Ryan and she was in track...so she knew Ryan.  A couple of different times she said, "Well, enjoy your run."  But I just kept talking.  Finally, I knew she had had enough of me, so...I took off.  Why am I like that?  Why can't I just let somebody run by me, offer them an encouraging word, and let them go?

Anyway...I did 6 mile on the road then did another .3 mile on the treadmill with my new shows...I wanted to even out my weekly mileage and start breaking in the shoes.

I went and visited my dad.  He's in an assisted living facility.  I don't know about that guy.  He's had a pretty troubled past and has put my family through some pretty tough times...but...he's my dad.

Now, I'm heading out to watch my granddaughters play some soccer, so...I gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Mike - having met you more than once, I can honestly say that if she was more interested in listening to her music than spending a few minutes running and chatting with a great guy like you, well it is her loss.  I don't think anyone would describe you as a jerk.  Happy Father's Day, btw.  I called my own dad., but he hasn't talked to me in several years, so I left a friendly voicemail and left it at that.  Family can be really hard.

Yesterday was our anniversary, and DH had planned a fun outing with our friends, the Schultz Wild Hunting Adventure.  We actually went to a local state park and shot clay pigeons and had a picnic lunch.  It rained steadily for the whole day, but it was warm and we had a tent roof (what do you call those) and so stayed dry and comfy and had a lot of laughs.

Today we took DH out to lunch for Father's Day, but other than that did lots of puttering and home-care tasks.  I did get my first big harvest of spinach washed and tucked into freezer bags.  I'm starting to pack for Charlevoix.  I am so excited - this looks to be a great meet up!

10 miles for me yesterday, 7 miles today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

MikeE. You did the right thing. Someday the young lady will remember this super fast guy who stopped to talk to her.

Good job Holly. I am proud of you for making that move to talk to your papa.

15 miles today, 6 with the Steady Pacer.  The Twocats are on their way, grilled Italian  chicken legs, grilled asparagus, farro and kale salad, potato salad, baby green salad is for dinner.  Huckleberry pie for dessert.

Dinner anyone?

Happy father's day to all the father's here!

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jay is my New Role Model.

tomwhite is my role model

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Congrats on the age group win Erika!
            How many is that at MSR? I know Dorli has won a bunch for the women, but you are probably right up there with all time wins for women.

Being 2500 miles away, I obviously sat out (1st time since 2003 not running a Solistice race in AK, including 10 at Midnight Sun Run), but was able to get some vicarious thrills because both our boys ran. T, to be a freshman at the U in the fall, won the MSR scholarship--following in his brother's footsteps (he won it in 2013). And he got a 3rd overall in 34:54, breaking mom's PR by 7 seconds. Really proud of him/both boys. M was top 20, coming off a cold. And the top 20 was full of kids that I've coached over the years, maybe 8 or 10 of them.

I did 16.3 in Winter Park, CO including a hill climb from 8,800 to 10,800 ft. and back. Have had some ups and downs since early may but keeping it going in prep for Pikes Peak in August.

evanflein

I saw that your son got third, that's fantastic!! I don't know how many AG wins this is for me... I have four of those really nice tiles that they apparently stopped doing last year (we got hats, remember?), and they did silly ribbons for awhile before that. Last year I only had a 1 second "cushion" for my AG win, but this year it was more like 6 minutes!