Masters Running

Scary Friday, 10.30.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Our niece is new to NH, and a newly-registered voter, so we wanted to introduce her to Presidential politics the way it is done here. We went to a Jeb Bush gathering at a Portsmouth restaurant yesterday, and we were about 15 feet away when he spoke, and DN got a photo with him. Tonight, we are going to see Bernie Sanders at a town hall meeting, and we hope to get to a house party with Carly Fiorina tomorrow afternoon. Rubio and Christie are going to be in NH soon too, so we'll see if we can snag them as well.

I'm still not back on the roads, so I was up reading and checking email at 4.

OK, gotta go. Where the heck did all this work come from???

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job jay.

I remember the rare chance we had to do the same in 1960 when I was a senior in high school a little southeast of erika-land and, with Hawaii’s admission earlier in the year, vowing to visit all 50 states, both candidates came to town. My more-politically oriented friend at a reception in a local hotel a couple of blocks away, called me up at 7pm Sunday night in a panic that “you gotta come down to the reception for Senator Kennedy; hardly anyone’s here!”  I’m still grateful I got to be one of them. Then, with Vice President Nixon’s visit coming at the height of the fall duck-hunting season, the Secret Service threw their hands up and gave up when all the hunters with our shotguns in hand came off the adjacent airport marshes to see his arrival.
      Final taper day for Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run extravaganza starting at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow.

There’s no way I can run, walk or do anything for 12 nonstop hours and it is totally stupid and idiotic to try but, as usual in past years, it should somehow become manageable when I focus on running two or three of the 1.93 mile perimeter laps, then a couple more until, all-of-a-sudden, it’s 6:00 pm., . . . . I hope.
      I hope everyone else has just as much fun, including another ilene double.
      Maybe OM can report in too.

I’ve never done it and don’t know how it is for East Coast runners but, for anyone from out on the West Coast, the New York Marathon is the run of a lifetime so as many RR’s as possible won’t be too many. <<<(robin/om)>>>

10/31 Ileneforward - Carrera De Los Muertos 5K, Los Angeles CA
      10/31 milktruck - Great Osprey 10K Ocean Run, Freeport, ME
      11/01 OrangeMat - New York City Marathon, NYC, NY
      11/01 Rtravers - New York Marathon, NY, NY
      11/01 Ileneforward - Dino Dash 10K, Tustin CA

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...aaahhh,

Nixon and DuckHunting, Good Times, Good Times.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys and all to follow. Sorry you're not 100% yet Jay. Glad you're taking it easy until things feel right.

I'm sitting in the Minneapolis airport right now waiting for our connecting flight to Denver. Got up at 4:15 to run a few miles before we left, just to be totally exhausted when we get to DD's house later today. My DH just looks at me like I'm a crazy person and tries to bite his tongue

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Can you take a nap in the middle?

Jlynne - Yes, we are all pretty crazy here....

Today was 65 minutes on the bike trainer,  followed by 15 minute Ab Ripper X, then 15 minutes of Priscilla's Yoga Stretches.

The problem with the bike trainer is that it is pretty much thigh-specific.  After yesterday's Legs and Back, which has something like 400 lunge-type exercises, my thighs feel like toast.  Sure would feel good to do a nice slow recovery run....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...have a good flight jylnne...

===========

40's here

...45-min HH walk with no cane.....

the hand-weights wouldn't fit over the gloves....DUH

so I had to carry them which defeated the whole idea of having my hands free

............good running guys

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay and Holly, time for Holly to get into some racewalking!

Hope you have time to get  to the Tattered Cover Bookstore, jlynne.

Too much tapering = overanalyzing.  I think the reason I lean at the end of a marathon is due to a leg length discrepancy.

6 lovely slow miles in the neighborhoods last night as the sun set, folks walked their dogs, biked with their kiddoes, and the night blooming jasmine began scenting the air.  So I did it again this am, only different neighborhoods.

Still dithering on whether to run a 5K tomorrow or not.

Happy Halloween!  I'm putting one of my fluorescent orange race shirts to good use today, and "decorating" at the office with another.

ghoulish grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Holly, it's good you passed the oral surgeon's test the other day.  Also, good for your daughter making the basketball team.

This morning, it was about 40° and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:24 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

....hey,

Looky what I found while I was looking for my Guide to Poolrunning

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/011562.shtml

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yes, tomwhite, it is hard to run when you have the squirts.

I was kind of looking forward to taking a couple weeks off to let some little nagging injuries heal up, but our high school boys team and two of the girls qualified for the state meet, so...I'll be going to practice, tomorrow.

I do do this every marathon trip...I leave stuff to do for when I get back...and then I have so much to do, I get all stressed out.  And on top of everything, I seem to go into a bit of post marathon blues.  I need to find another marathon to get ready for...I'm kind of thinking the Mississippi Blues Marathon...hey--a blues marathon to get over the blues--perfect.  Anybody every do that one?  The one thing that makes me consider not doing it is the medal.  The thing is huge!  I cannot stand the size of the medals a lot of the marathons think thay have to give out, these days.

Okay--I should get get off my iPad, now.  I'm actually getting my oil changed, right now...just one of those things I left for when I got back...one of the easiest ones, but it will be one item marked off my list.  See ya!

an amazing likeness

...I'm kind of thinking the Mississippi Blues Marathon...hey--a blues marathon to get over the blues--perfect.  Anybody every do that one?  The one thing that makes me consider not doing it is the medal.  The thing is huge!  I cannot stand the size of the medals a lot of the marathons think thay have to give out, these days...

Mike -- here's something I do at races where, for whatever reason, I don't want the medal...I look around the finish area for a mom who has just finished and has a couple young kids hugging her, and looking at her with that pure, unabashed hero adoration. Invariably one of the kids will have her medal in his/her hand; I will quietly ask the other kid if they want a medal too, and give them mine. Try it !

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tetsujin209 wow all the way back in 1960! They ate dinosaurs or something like that then, no? 

Mike E I am with you. These days a lot of the medals can double as boat anchors. But it is what people want. <<shrug>>

I ran 7 today. I may try doing a 5k tomorrow to see where I am at the moment. Then again, I probably will not. My DW and I are throwing a Halloween party and I need to get the food ready. One item on the menu is this beef and pumpkin stew http://allrecipes.com/recipe/22925/pumpkin-stew. You really need a big crowd for this recipe. But if you have one, the presentation is something else!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike -- here's something I do at races where, for whatever reason, I don't want the medal...I look around the finish area for a mom who has just finished and has a couple young kids hugging her, and looking at her with that pure, unabashed hero adoration. Invariably one of the kids will have her medal in his/her hand; I will quietly ask the other kid if they want a medal too, and give them mine. Try it !

Nice!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Enjoy your 12 hour run taper boy. Cool story abiut Kennedy.

Good luck to all the weekend.

Twocat,  lucky people who will be at your party .

No running for me for two day. Crazy work schedule  which will continue thru the weekend.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wrong day

It’s taken me to 6:00:48 pm and  5:48:00 pm to reach the 50K mark in the hilly (7,000 feet up/7,000 feet down) Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run and Costume Contest in the last two years so, when  some circumstances I might fess up to sometime or the other delayed my starting time for the 2015 edition today from 6:00 am. to thirty minutes later at 6:30 am, I realized there would be no chance for 50K so I revised my goal to a more manageable marathon distance. NOT.  Somehow, I made up thirty minutes late start and finished at 5:38 pm, fastest ever on that rugged course.  Yippee

ps – thanks much for posting pictures from FB I can’t see.

ps - no wonder I finally decided to love standard time so much

I hope all tomorrow's marathons remember the extra hour of sleep

they probably don't need or want  I sure do.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)