Masters Running

Sunday, 12.20.15 (Read 38 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Congratulations rosie on your grand finale.
    However, don’t count on it. I remember vowing never to run another marathon again if it ever took longer than five hours to run 26.2 miles.  That was more than 100 marathons ago, before I found out that having a good time, particularly as Father Time marches on, doesn’t have anything to do with having a good time, e.g. especially with Portland, Equinox and other marathons honoring finishers up to 8, 9, 10 and even more hours. . 
    ps amy - you haven’t run a marathon until you’ve been held up by a train or, better yet, caught up with others who were being held up. Besides, of my six Portlands, only one confronted one of the little commuter trains.
    Not that it would apply to me or anything like that but you also have to be pretty slow and, even if your are, it’s only a short commuter that takes less than a minute.

having too much fun in the sunshine deezie and henrun.

lucky.

ps - is it december back there?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Great to see Deez and Henry!

7.3 miles today, and dangit if I wasn't just a mile short of 40 for the week. I can say if I'd known that I'd have gone another mile, but I was running late as it was and we needed to get home. Good thing, too, since the roast we planned for dinner must've still been a little frozen in the middle because it took *forever* to finish! It was really good though. Had MIL, DS1 and his GF over for dinner, so it's not like there were no consequences for being late. BTW, what's the acronym for a GF when said GF is engaged to your DS? I don't recall if I mentioned it here or not, but DS1 and his GF got engaged in Hawaii, and we couldn't be happier!

Glad I got in the outdoor miles I did this past week. The temps will be dropping from here and we could see -30 or colder by Christmas! Brrr! Glad this is a 3 day week at work.

SteveP

Deez, I'm so sorry about your FIL.

TW, from what I understand, the valley people are rather tasty.

They are only teens once.

MikeE, I keep hoping Eric has an awakening.

RCG!!!!

What a lovely picture mrrun.

What a weekend. Earlier in the week, Tag and I we wrestling around and I found a lump on his shoulder. We went to the vet on Saturday. It turned out to be a fatty tumor. It may get large, however, it will not be removed unless it causes discomfort. It was a long wait and we got him up to date on three vaccines that would have been due in March.

After church, I noticed a FB friend request. It was from, Jennifer, the oldest daughter of a woman I lived with 20 years ago. (I had worked out of town quite a lot.When in KY, I got a call telling me I should be checked for an STD). I still did things with the kids after. After the company relocated me, I still went to the former digs. I'd give the kids a key to the hotel room so they could use the pool. One night, I got in and had a talk with them about smoking pot. I didn't care if they still used the room for pool access, however, no weed in the hotel. It was tough not to be hypercritical there. After that, the e mail contact and phone calls were one sided. 14 years ago this week, I stopped by the house with a fair sized load of Christmas presents for the family. Jennifer had moved out, the other daughter, Samantha, wasn't too keen on me. (I understand, I bailed on them with out saying exactly why). There were roaches in ash trays, a couple of hash pipes and booze scatter around the living/dining room.That was the last contact. One I've second guessed for over a decade.

After accepting Jenny's FB friend request, I sent a message telling her how she made my day. Then she sent a letter apologizing for her behavior while her mom and I were together. Six years maybe? Then she thanked me for what I had done for the kids. I told her there was nothing to apologise for. Whatever behavior is part of the human condition. Holly's post reminded of some of the stuff. Carp, every day these kids are waking up into a different body than the one they went to bed in. Add peer pressure, raging hormones, a child's expectations with young adult realities.....sheesh!!! I understand why beavers eat their young when they don't move out.

Anyway, threeish miles with a dog that is still mad at me.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

BTW, what's the acronym for a GF when said GF is engaged to your DS? I don't recall if I mentioned it here or not, but DS1 and his GF got engaged in Hawaii, and we couldn't be happier!

DS'DW2B?

DIL2B?

Anyway - congrats!

Moebo - glad to see you back.

Marj and Henry - awesome picture!

Tet - I agree...

Steve - it's good to know that, even when they don't seem to be listening, they remember.  Glad you could reconnect.  And that is great news about Tag.  My friend Renee just lost her dog to cancer, and our other friend Bruce just had cancer surgery on his dog (she came out okay, and seems to be doing well), but anyway it seems a tough time lately both for sick relatives and pets.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."