Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - May (Read 41 times)

“Times of great calamity and confusion have been productive for the greatest minds. The purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace. The brightest thunder-bolt is elicited from the darkest storm.” (Charles Caleb Colton)

Welcome to a new month, folks.

Congrats to our racers, Ev and Arla!  You rock!  And how great, Ev, that you got to hang for a short while with the woman who ran Boston.

Stumpy - Be nice to your foot.

I've had to back off on the orthos.  They wanted me to try over-the-counter orthos for everyday, and those caused me issues.  So now I'm waiting for things to calm down enough that I can give the custom ones a try.  They had to go back and make them a little bit thicker as they were too thin, which made them springy . . . and caused issues.  I think I'm gonna contact Inov-8, tell them what my issues are, and see if they suggest a different shoe than what I've been running in.

'Til then, I'm still on the bike.

Well, once I again I am asking for prayers and positive thoughts.  Shorty and I are going through an extremely hard time right now (a direct result of what happened before), and things are really tough.  We have a long haul in front of us, and I'm very worried about Shorty.  Not worried that he'll start drinking again, just very worried for his mental health through all of this.  So if you all would remember us in your thoughts and prayers, it sure would be appreciated.  Thanks ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yesterday I stayed on the bike for 1.5 hrs.  My butt didn't appreciate it at church last night. Roll eyes

Today was the Avenue of the Giants Marathon, and Tammy (in the daily) came down from Grants Pass to run it, so I actually got to meet an RA-er finally!!  She had a rough time, but she finished and that's what counts.  I was a one person cheering team for almost 5 hours, so between all the hootin' and hollerin' and constant hand-clapping, my palms and throat are sore.  There aren't a lot of people who walk out on the course at this race - okay, basically nobody does; they all sit at the end - so people appreciated me ( . . . or at least they said they did . . . hmmmm . . .).  Anyway, I know when I've been in their shoes, especially toward the end, it's nice to have people cheering you on.  Also made me ansy to get back out there.  Well, not on the road, but definitely running.  Soon . . . . soon . . . .

Okay - Off to do some transcription ~

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Miles last week were lacking, between planting and a May snowstorm I fell short of my goal maintenance mileage. I did get 7 in today and felt good to get out there. We still got 100 acres planted today and over that much sprayed and both got decent runs in. Our weather just doesn't want to get spring yet, not a lot of precip but stays cold enough little rains/snows keep us out of the field longer than normal with little relief from the drought. .

Ev and Arla well done on your races. Ev cool experience with the Boston runner, your training and results were remarkably similar to my Feb half that I was well pleased with. Arla all that base and residual fitness is something I marvel at, being able to cruise thru a marathon without the huge long runs etc...

Arla Lynda is doing very well with the hip, her mileage is down due to planting  but the pt did wonders for her. I am a total fan of the Hruska PRI methods.

Leslie we are thinking about you and your struggles and wish you and Shortie the best of luck. Now for the shoe deal true orthotics were maybe too much for me, but finding a shoe with a stiff heel and medium drop sure helped the AT.. Any cushiness in the heel really put the hurt on me, even worse than a low drop shoe tho I would find some middle ground there. Just my thoughts and trials with AT, you are the best judge of what works for you.

Stump good luck on the foot.

Hiyas to the rest of the gang.

more later prob after planting.

Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I'll bet that you get the orthos figured out after awhile, hang in there. Meanwhile, my condolences to your butt. Shy Best wishes for you and for Shorty, you are both strong people and you CAN tough this out, too, you've done it before!

ev - I'm at a different computer and can now see your medal, cool!

r2 - I'm amazed that you do as much running as you do, given your schedule. Glad the PT is working for Lynda, I've become a big believer myself.

Survived week one of training with track repeats and a decent long run (14 mi), pretty happy about that. One to week two...

Ex runner

Hey gang, I look away again, and Arla and Ev have raced!  Nice going for both of you!  Ev, nice to put the face with the name.  Sounds like a great day for you and your Boston compatriot.

Leslie, I hope you don't mind me sharing with God what I think, which is "enough already"!!  I have a dear friend who reported two weeks ago to a federal prison camp.  She is not guilty, but was fingered by those who are.  She struck a plea deal to avoid the possibility of much worse than what she got.  "Only" an 8 month sentence + 5 yrs probation + restitution, but still is time away from family and very difficult.  I'll be visiting her once I'm approved.  So yes, I feel for you and Shorty more now than ever.  This stuff impacts the whole family, and friends who care as well.

Not much running going on for me.  Stress fracture is recovered, but running mojo is not.   Have been doing a few short runs, but nothing feels right about it.  Been cycling more than anything, and just taking life a little easier.  Hubby & I are going to Vancouver for our 25th wedding anniversary soon, have a trip to San Fran later in the summer, and in between that I plan to visit my friend several times.  Getting work and life to line up around all that is the priority right now, but I promise to keep moving in one way or another Smile.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - Shorty and I have talked a lot about how God doesn't give you more than you can handle, but sometimes - jeesh!  It's the stress of the unknown, too. We have a meeting today and will hopefully get some questions answered.  And as Shorty reminded me last night, no matter what happens, we have each other and we have God, and that's a whole freaking heck of a lot!

Jim - I agree with Arla.  I don't know how you find time to run with all you have to do.  Hope some precip comes your way soon.

Arla - How's the heat your way?  It was absolutely stunning up here this weekend.  On Saturday, I think Eureka hit 73.  What?!? Shocked

Well, so far I'm not enamored with the orthotics.  They seem to be causing more issues.  Think I'm gonna start research trail shoes with wide toe boxes for pronators.  I'd much rather change my shoes than deal with orthos the rest of my running life, but we'll see.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol sighting!!! - I wouldn't be surprised if it takes awhile to get back into the running groove, take it as it comes and enjoy your cycling. Sorry to hear about your friend, what a horrible story! Meanwhile, happy 25th, sounds like you have some quality hub time coming your way.

Leslie - hope things sort themselves out at your meeting today, you WILL go forward with this! Do you have a good local running shop that might help you with your foot issues? The guy that owns our local shop was so instrumental in fixing my shoe choices quite a few years ago, probably if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be running, pretty sure I would have ended up with a 5th metatarsal stress fracture. About the heat - we had a few days, but over the weekend it turned cool and rainy, but heading back to 90-ish this coming weekend. Disapprove

Hi to the rest of you.

Long runs, medium-long runs, track workouts, and parcourse workouts = slightly tired runner! Mostly in a good way. Also that pesky winter 5 lbs is melting off. Big grin

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I had my first PT appointment this morning.  Got another evaluation and then an ultrasound treatment and ice massage on the tendon.  I now have some other exercises to do, plus the clearance to run a few miles as long as it doesn't hurt.  I think I may have surprised the therapist with the enthuthiasm that I received that with.  Wink  Another 45 minutes on the eliptical this morning before hand.  Everything feels pretty good right now, so will make another appointment for next week before I start a 1-1/2 week stay down in NC.  Time to take a look at the training schedule and calendar and see how far I can get by the end of June.  I'm also going shopping for new shoes--I think I may have pushed my Pure Connects a little further than I should have.  The guy at the shoe shop said to expect less than I normally see for my Adrenalines and right now they're over 400 miles, which is where I've been phasing them out.

Leslie--I think life is sort of like running in this case.  You and Shorty have built a good base over the the year +, and it wil stand you in good stead to get through the tough times.  but postive thoughts can't hurt either, so many coming your way.  Nice cheering and pictures for Tammy.  Glad you finally got to meet one of your imaginary friends.

Jim--wishing you warmer weather and plenty of moisture.  And a run or three here and there.

Arla--I'm reminded of what our trainer at puppy kindergarten told us.  A tired dog is a good dog.  Works the same way for runners?  Joking  My problem is that I've revved up my appetite to deal with the extra miles and it doesn't slack off while I do.  have to be careful I don't get a spring 5.  Nice training, btw.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Kind of a sucky run week here, pushing hard planting to beat the forecast rains that have not come. Today kinda felt like I have let myself down by not taking a little bit of time to run, so when the dawn sky emerged with ideal run conditions I had to run. Ran up to get the fertilizer truck  in the field I finished last nite and moved it home to refill. Lost my dad a year ago this morning, can't help but think he was part of giving me this beautiful run morning.

more later, have a great weekend my friends!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Lost my dad a year ago this morning, can't help but think he was part of giving me this beautiful run morning.

That's well worth reposting.

Arla - We do have a local running store, but my experience with the guy has been hit and miss.  I'm going to San Jose next week for a conference, and there's a running store down there in Campbell called "Running Revolution" where they do a full on gait analysis, etc.  I'm gonna go talk to them about my issues and see what they recommend.  In the meantime, I'm sticking with my prior shoes, my Mizunos, even though they cause hot spot and blister issues.  I ordered a pair of Mountain Masochists on the recommendation of someone in the trail running forums.  Hopefully, they'll be here next week and I can at least check out the toe box issue.  Unfortunately, I got them through Zappos, so if I want to return them, I can't run in them only.  REI's the only place I know of that lets you return used shoes.  There's an REI in Santa Rosa, so I may stop there, as well, as on the way the San Jose next week.

[now stuck in my head: Do you know the way to San Jose?
                      I've been away so long. I may go wrong and lose my way.
                      Do you know the way to San Jose?
                      I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose.

Speaking of running, I did a 5-mile EZ run/walk this morning. May have been too much, but live and learn.  I taped up my ATs and my left arch for support and had absolutely no problems with those areas, but that little hollow spot behind the ankle bone on the left foot is now talking to me.  This area flared up after the last try with the orthos.  I'll ice, bike tomorrow, and see how things feel Monday.

It felt SO good to be out there.  Really, really good.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - nice morning and run to remember your dad.

Leslie - REI does have a nice return policy, but they're running shoe selection (at least at the store here) isn't great and the employees don't know anything about running. Worth a try, though.

Had a 20min tempo on tap for the weekend but went to a 5 mi race instead. Tempo pace for a 40 min run was supposed to be 8:19 so I tried to keep myself reined in but hit about 8:10 pace for the first 4 miles. Felt pretty good and close to that tempo feeling. Got to the last half mile or so and couldn't resist "chicking" a couple of dudes (especially this one young guy who was walking, but then sprinted to pass me a few times in between bouts of walking. I'll admit to being annoyed by that. Ended up covering the last mile sub-8. Overall time 40:40 which was too fast (previous race results predicted 40:05 for all-out racing). Sore quads today is my penalty. Probably placed in my AG but couldn't stick around to find  out.

Slow 5 am run to beat the heat.

Ex runner

jfa

Hi All.

Kind of in lurking mode because I have been very busy at work and at home. Busy getting the Equinox ready for launch this Saturday. Hopefully, they got most of the houses,boats, cars, BBQ grills ,etc from the hurricane, out of the bay.

We shall see....

A few 25+ mile weeks lately with last week's almost 30. Plus 8 hours of raquetball for the week on top of that.

Weather's getting nice as I bump it up.

Try to read up more later.

C ya's!

Arla - I haven't been to an REI in awhile, but thought I'd at least check it out.  Got the Mountain Masochists today, but the toe box doesn't feel much roomier than my Mizunos, unfortunately. Undecided

Howdy Do, Joseph.  Hope the launching goes according to plan.

Did 4 miles in IRC this a.m.  Shorts, short sleeve shirt, and the gloves came off after about a mile or so. (Although the ear pops stayed on the entire time.  I dislike having cold ears.)  Haven't run in shorts - especially the morning - in a long time.  My lily white legs combined with all my reflective stuff made it hard for anybody to say they didn't see me! Followed the run with about 35-40 min of core/strength training.

So far so good on the feeties/AT's/etc.  Little irritants here and there, but nothing that doesn't feel manageable at this point.  Am being smart about icing and stretching.  Tomorrow Coach has me scheduled for a 30 min walk, which I'll probably follow up with a 30-45 min stat bike ride.

My office buddy, Denise and I, leave Thursday for a conference in San Jose.  Haven't been to one of these in two years.  It'll be good to get outta Dodge and to see friends I haven't seen in awhile.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - exciting to hear that you'll be getting out on the water soon! 25 - 30 mi + hours of racquetball is nothing to sneeze at - wow!

Leslie - with the AT thing is there any physical therapy you can do so it doesn't happen again? Is it partly because of all the hills you run, or just plain ol' bad luck? Getting out of town sounds like some nice therapy, too.

Bread and butter runs the last few days. Was really sore from Thursday afternoon's track workout + Saturday morning's racing (stupid), so took it pretty easy Sunday and yesterday, and then today *poof* everything's fine. Other than the fact that it's 90+ out there I'm looking forward to a pleasant evening run.

Ex runner

...couldn't resist "chicking" a couple of dudes...  Probably placed in my AG but couldn't stick around to find  out.

Arla, you have arrived!!   And it's exciting to watch you take on anothr training plan.  Go get 'em.

I could've  swore I posted the othr day.  Guess it didn't take.  I'm getting a few runs in....more to come.

Jim.....good runs to you.

Joe....Getting the boat out sounds like fun.  Enjoy!

Hey Stumpy and Leslie...Carol and OM....and Jewels and Mtn....

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM