Masters Running

40's on the run, wk of 8/10/08 the cicadas are singing can Fall be far away? (Read 355 times)

Top 'O the World!

~~ Oh, the weather outside is frightfull.....~~ can you believe it is snowing in Colorado?!?!? well, above 10,000' anyway..... Big grin 52 degrees & steady rain @ lower elevation just now Smile supposed to have a "high" of 62*!! good thing it's a "rest day"....for a coupla reasons! Might be a shock to the system to run in such chilly climate Shocked...but truly, I need to recover from kicking my own butt the past coupla days..2 days of ~ not long runs, but pushing it a bit + boot camp (weighted squats, reverse pull-ups, rows, abs/crunch sets = a bit creaky this am...Hey! takes my attention off my feet! Tongue (which are doing well)......looking @ 6-ish wks till taper-ish modification to schedule (6 wks to train up as much as possible) & I may be having some challenges getting my runs in whilst crewing for the TransRockies in 2 wks.....& then there's my niece's wedding, which takes a bite outta two other wknds in Sept.....mebbe I should run the Boulder Backroads HM w/Doug just to get the mileage! >>>What Kelly Said! Wink< i="" didn't="" have="" the="" />time to run (& was told I couldn't/shouldn't) 10 yrs ago....have fought my whole life for "me time" & was never able to achieve anything consistent before this.... however, something I heard/read from one of the other "Masters" ~ over 40: Rest Days are Sacred! (I'm working on that one) Kelly: what's yer fees? Wink too bad I can't "barter" long distance Sad boot camp coach mentioned wanting to add me to his website....I'm thinkin' "let me get through this marathon first!" R2: You are gonna KICK BUTT this weekend!!!! Wink Good Luck! Joe: envious of your beach running, I am! Enjoy your week dude! Leslie: LOVED the crewing rpt & pics! Kate is just plain awesome! I followed the links & read a bunch of Russ's stuff...what a lucky find!! I'd say he's a definite "keeper" in the friends dept! Wink Jewels: So, do you have any "fun" plans for the last wknd before diving back into it?? Mebbe you & Arla can have a "virtual margarita party"....I hear it's a loooong flight! Carol: {{{{thumbs up girl!!}}}} my favorite runs are my 'doggie migrations' - they're never stellar pace, but quite nice nevertheless Smile where'd Salty go?? Have a Great Weekend Everybody!!
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

2.1 miles @ 9:47 to lube up the joints. Knees seemed fine after the first half mile warmup. After I thought about it I been doing lots of climbing this week, loading corn trucks, climbing grain bins, climbing up into my sprayer so the knee thing has alot more to do with that than my runs. They have a big machinery expo at the CC fair so we went down and walked through last night, ran into Jonathan and wife so got some good last minute instruction. As per I did 3 speedups to 10k ish then 5k ish pace for short distances (1 rea pole at a time) during my little run. We are moving slow this morning, its raining so outside stuff on hold but need to attack the pile on my desk, catch up with yall later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Well, I'm a little livelier today than yesterday, even though I transcribed for almost 3 solid hours last night 'til 10:00 p.m. Dead Must be because I pulled my butt outta bed and ran. Ya think?? And it was one of my best runs in a long time. And, for the first time I climbed the entirety of The Hill by my house without stopping, and that was at the end of my hour run. Yee haw!! Big grin All this work is working! Carol - How'd Katie do on the sprints? Wink Re Russ' blog - did you read the one where he was in the tire shop? I was cracking up. He's a very funny guy and great to be around. And he plays the ukelele! He and his girlfriend stopped here in Eureka on their move to Portland, OR, and left the little bugger behind at the hotel. I've gone and picked it up and will ship it to him. Told him he owes me a concert. Cindy - You are too frigging busy. I don't know how you keep up. Farmer Jim - Good luck in the race this weekend. Have fun! Joe - He must be relaxin' right about now. Kelly - I was so pooped yesterday, I felt like I was old, old, old. I shoulda pulled myself out of bed yesterday a.m. and worked out. It always helps. Keep promoting your coaching in your signature. Keeping fingers crossed you pick up some candidates. Jewels - What're you and The Hub gonna do once both girls are out of high school? Relax a little?? Sarah from PC Trail Runs has linked my and Russ' blogs onto their Headlands Hundred race reports page. Cool! Makes me feel like the journalist I was going to be oh, lo so many years ago. Wink Enjoy your Friday, folks!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hiya 40's! 6 miles running and 1.5 miles walking this mornig. Funny what endorphins will do. In the middle of it, I was thinking...hey, this is great, maybe I'll go for 7 today, then by the end I was really glad I hadn't. Pretty ouchy on the cooldown walk, but doing better now. Would not have been smart to jump the distance more today though. Hubby went out for 2.5 with Katy this morning. It's his birthday, so we're going to see Viva Las Vegas, an Elvis show at the Grapevine Opry, tonight after we do setup for church this afternoon. Weird deal that Elvis died on Kerry's birthday. Anyway, should be fun. Happy trails, and roads, and bikes.......
            Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Soggy Saturday Salutations! (GD LOVES Charlotte's Web Wink ) ...Weird, except that there's only 365 days in the year...look up your birthday in "a day in history" (I think that's the name of the site) I always get a kick out of the celebs w/my birthday. 0600 50*F light drizzle (became steady rain!) 14 "draggin my achey butt down the trail" miles w/the TNT group followed by 30 min HOT shower!! Just to regain feeling in my extremities Big grin
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Got off to a late start this morning but sunshine, some blue sky, puffy white clouds that might have some rain in them later, temps in high 60's when I started. Temps in the 70's, 2:42:42 and 17 miles later. Cheated and ran on the roads this morning. My hamstring was not happy with me. Was planning on 20 but also ran out of fluid and new if I stopped by home to get more I may not go back out so called it good. Carol-looks like you made the same call this morning by not pushing it. Have fun tonight with the hubster. Cindy-winter in CO already? Smile My thoughts are with the runners doing Leadville. Have a good weekend everyone-time for more sunshine! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

Just a spot of a "cold front".....currently 39* F steady rain in Leadville Sad biggest rpt of snow is from Trail Ridge Road/Rocky Mtn National Park (above Estes Park - where Jim & Lynda like to go) road closed due to approx 6" snowfall overnight..... Last wknd - perfect!! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/08/09/leadville.100.ap/index.html?eref=si_mostpopular

flatland mountaineer

Hiyas, home after big day. Lynda 5k small field 1st AG Jim 10k 50:09 6.21m 8:04 ave pace close 2nd AG small race took dad around expo/vette show etc. hurtin unit now, no injuries just sore, more later. my friend didn't run

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Snow already?? Say it ain't so!! Cindy, do you think the training for a marathon and your boot camp training are too much together? Just curious. Congrats to Jim and Lynda. The soreness will abate. Carol and Kelly - sounds like you both were smart to not push it. Somewhere between 7 and 8 miles on the Headwaters trail http://www.blm.gov/ca/arcata/headwaters_factsheet.html. There was a 12-hour bike race in the Arcata Forest. Decided to avoid that. It was nice running someplace different, plus it has a lot of uphill switchbacks for great uphill training - and a blast coming out! Big grin I think we're going to stick to the Headwaters for awhile. Off to a BBQ with friends tonight. For once, we're not doing the cooking and providing the balance of the food. Nice!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Cindy-winter in CO already? Smile My thoughts are with the runners doing Leadville. Have a good weekend everyone-time for more sunshine! Kelly
                        Pretty rough conditions I guess. Two of the members of my Rocky Mtn Nat park forums are running. http://www.rmnpforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13630&hl= might have to join the forum to view.

Top 'O the World!

. Lynda 5k small field 1st AG Jim 10k 50:09 6.21m 8:04 ave pace close 2nd AG small race . my friend didn't run
                          <congratulations!!!>>>>>>>>>></congratulations!!!> & ~ HA! (re: he who shall not be named!) does he know yet how well YOU did?? Big grin Leslie: I'm still kinda trying to work out the kinks & train when I can...finally think I've got the shoe thing worked out....I can still "feel it" but it's not in any way debilitating ....example of my "target" schedule: Sun/8mi easy pc Mon/off Tues/Boot Camp + 5 mi easy pc Wed/speed drills or hills (5-7 miles) Thurs/Boot Camp + 6 mi easy pc Fri/off Sat/16 mi waiting for Doug to get up & consider....one more cool day of intermittent rain squalls....he says he doesna want ta run in the rain! Roll eyes doesn't think it sounds fun at all Surprised