Masters Running

I Ran a Race That Was Not There--Potomac River Run Half Marathon (Read 365 times)

King of PhotoShop

It is never right to laugh at another person's misfortune, but either because of your dry humor in the way you wrote it, or the fact that everything was so bizarre, I laughed all the way through this story. I am glad you got some good quality work in, with a heck of a time too. I'm sorry for the inconvenience too. But the new concept of self-reported BAA times was just too much, and he seems to write this to you with "a straight face.' I would love to be in the BAA offices when they get his email. "Hey guys! C'mere, you gotta look at this!" Thanks Tramps. Spareribs
      Self reported times - BAA or otherwise. This guy's got a screw loose!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Not one comment yet on Marathonguide....hmmmmm.....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

And we're using self-reported times to qualify for cash prizes? Oh wow, I think I just set a 20 minute PR on this course! And yes, Ribs, I can just hear the guys at BAA wondering if this nut is serious.... Thanks for writing this up, Tramps. It should go in the "You Can't Make This Stuff Up" category...
          Henrun

RD aka Bernie Madoff????AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry.
            Tramps

First, I felt really, really bad for folks who had this as a target race. Imagine training for months, tapering, worrying about the weather, etc, and, minutes before you start, you find out about this fiasco! The deep disappointment was there; there was crying and anger but mostly people were just stunned. How could this be happening? Perhaps even worse, some runners started when the timing mats were still out, thinking they’d finish with an official time. The race was canceled while they were on the course and presumably they didn’t know it until they got to the non-finish line. When I headed out for my run there were people who had left almost an hour earlier, heading back and working hard to finish their "race." I don’t think anyone had the heart to break the news to them; I know I didn't. What do you say? "Hey buddy, ease up, it doesn't count anyway"? So on one level, this was an outrage. But if you set aside the tragedy for some runners, it was also hilarious. (Count on Ribs--the man who joked his way through heart surgery--to pick up on that fact.) I had little—beyond some money and a soggy Sunday morning—invested in this race. So I stood there in disbelief and pretty much alternated between looking like this: Shocked and this: Surprised I had dragged myself out of bed at 4:00 a.m.—and I’m not a morning person. It was pouring rain all the way up to the race (though it thankfully let up just as we arrived). DW and I gave each other the groggy “Why are we doing this again?” comments…and that was all before the thing fell apart. Then it turned mind-bogglingly absurd. We were watching this guy spout this nonsense and strangers would just look at each other and ask, “Is he serious?” “Is this for real?” I thought, “Well, I paid 60 bucks for a heckuva story.” I tend to deal with stuff like this with dark humor--as others there did as well. So, yeah, when the RD first mentioned self-reporting finish times, I was telling folks, “I had no idea I had a sub-3 marathon in me today!” The gallows humor abounded. One guy joked to me, "Heck, if I knew I could report my own time, I'd have gone out drinking last night and slept in this morning!" And on it went. It was just all surreal. Several times later in the day, back at home and still a little zoned out from the early morning, DW and I just shook our heads and said, “Wow, this has been a weird day.” And then this morning the new RD e-mail arrived with the “self-recorded” BQs idea. The hilarity just never ends! ETA: I posted this on the main racing forum too, as a warning to others. BadDawg there had a good line: "I wonder what percentage of the [Boston Marathon] elite corral next year will be from this race?" Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

oh boy! This really does sound like one of those bad dreams you have the night before a marathon because of nerves, jitters, etc. Like the infamous college dream where you show up to class for the first time and realize it's finals day and you haven't been there all semester.

Tammy

Renee the dog

I guess it wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility to see Alan Funt come walking out from behind the Port o Potties, no?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

The race director kept saying it wasn’t his fault because the Park Service has “never enforced the limit before.” (Hmmmm…. “But officer, I speed here all the time; you never stopped me before!’) Tramps, from where is this guy? Because I think I used to represent him! Wink
                    Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

The t-shirt from this event should become quite a collector's item. Big grin

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Nono: Alan Funt? Good one! Tramps, you know what would be the ultimate conclusion? Get the guy's email address and simply send him the link to this thread. Spareribs
                        Tramps

To be fair, the RD responded to my report in the main racing forum: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a1d7160c51504fc5b0ba4fe736a81bba/1

Be safe. Be kind.

I agree with the comments about being extremely mad if this happened to me. This might be a good posting for marathonguide.com, if you haven't already done it. I fixed Tramps' link below
                            To be fair, the RD responded to my report in the main racing forum: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a1d7160c51504fc5b0ba4fe736a81bba/1

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

I fixed Tramps' link below
                              Oops. Thanks, buddy. I fixed mine, too. One little extra space...sheesh.Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.