Masters Running

Wednesday, June 11th Daily (Read 461 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Just back from a wonderful lunchtime run. I went to Cherry Creek State Park, which is very near the new office, and wandered the trails for an hour. I had no map, and tried a couple of bike paths that turned out to be muddy, but then I found one marked "wetlands trail" that was wonderful and shady. I came to a T intersection, and stopped to look around, and a deer was standing not 20 feet away, looking back at me. I stood still and watched it for a bit, then turned around and ran back. Then I took a trail that turned swampy so I bushwhacked a bit and got my feet wet, then I found the trail back. It was overcast and cool, mid 50's. I love exploring new trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

I am watching your steady progress, growth in mileage, and your determined schedule. I imagine you are feeling pretty good right now, as you should be. Very nice work. Are you training for some specific event Bruce? I also noticed you posted yesterday an interval workout that consisted of 400's at what I thought was around 7:36 per mile pace and 2:30 recoveries. I am interested in knowing how you selected that workout and what it was for. If you get a chance, let us know what's on tap for you going forward. It's really great to see your continued improvement. Spareribs
      Thanks for your kind words Ribs. I am training for 2 5k races, June 21st and July 4th. I have been doing 800's for my speed work along with tempo runs. Since I am getting so close to my races, I thought I would switch to 400's to help give me a little more kick at the end of the race. In my last 5k in March I had a PR of 24:20, 7:50/mile. The course on the 21st is very flat so I am hoping to come in at around 23:18-24:05, 7:30-7:45/mile. The race on the 4th is one I do every year. It has one small hill (an incline really) so I should be able to do around 24:20 for that race as well. It would be a PR for that course. I have been using a combination of Daniels and McMillan for my training. Again thanks for the encouragement. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #3309

Just wanted to pop in and add, I enjoyed the pictures you posted yesterday Erika...HEY, it does get green there Big grin Nice pictures of the soccer game And, I would love to run that race with TALL, where you drink beer and eat hotdogs...during the race Shocked (RE: yesterdays post) Well, off cycling with some triathlete buds of mine. Have a nice evening all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I had thought that race sounded like fun, too. I'm afraid I'd have a double whammy against my be able to run. at the moment I'm about 194 and if I run enough to be able to complete the race, I'll probably weigh less than the Clydsdale cutoff. Confused

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

{{{Vista}}} Wild - enjoy your trip east. You'll probably be near my neck of the woods, er, suburbs, right? Watch out for the humidity. Several major accomplishments today that are really no big deal, except in light of my recent stomach ailment and its still-lingering effects: (1) made it through a full day of school, starting with no power, which became too much a/c in one school - 68 degrees in my classroom - and too little air of any sort in my other school: 86 degrees there; (2) appropriate digestion of solid food for the first time in three days; no fruits or veggies yet; may get crazy and try an apple tomorrow; (3) walked 1.6 miles this evening without incident. It felt so good to MOVE!!!!! Didn't want to push it in the heat, but I feel like an enormous blimp, so I did some pilates and yoga when I got back in the a/c. Could running be in the forecast for tomorrow? Shocked I'm optimistic. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

OUCH! Took a ball off the big toe tonight while umpiring, even with the plate shoes it hurt & now is tender & bruised a little. Black eye Run at 3:00pm on grass in local city park so I could catch some shade, since it was 84F & sunny. Vista best wishes & blessings for your brother & you. Nice letter, hope it helps you both.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Eliz that's great news! I was worried about you... Good luck with a (gentle) run tomorrow. Carolyn, I love trails, too. Seems like ages since I ran on the ones I like the best... After we get back from Hawaii it's time to get my trail legs back. I got in 6.05 miles tonight, more than I'd planned but legs felt really good (surprisingly good after those intervals yesterday and almost no sleep) so I kept going after I reached the end of our road. The mile splits up the hill to home were the best I've seen in ages... 8:56 and 8:45. Hmmm, not sure where that came from, but hope it sticks around! Will get good sleep tonight and mile race tomorrow evening.
                  vista, you are a wonderful brother - your words, well, they touch all of us. four windy miles today (or was that yesterday?) pelle and i headed out the highway to avoid the hills, and he seemed to sense we were supposed to be turning at 2 miles, bopped his nose against my leg a few times as though to say mom, isn't it time? he knows the various turning points on our runs, and always looks for confirmation to see if we turn or continue, but this time he seemed to think i was missing something. i was going for time, and managed to get back to the car with the wind behind us 3 minutes faster than running out into the wind. the legs are starting to complain a bit, haven't taken a day off since last friday, but i know i'm going to miss friday and saturday for the trip to seattle for fjorddaughter's graduation from UW, so i'm trying to get the miles - and the calorie-burning - in before that. DH is wondering if i will fit into the dress for the wedding at the end of the month... oh yes - 4.06 miles, 57 minutes, 127 AHR. time for work, susan
                  SteveP

Joey, your situation reminds me of Mom's last year. You're in my thought through out the day.

SteveP