Masters Running

Monday March 24 Pink Pajama Runs and Workouts (Read 47 times)

C-R

And the answer is--NO!  We will NEVER see the ground again for as long as we live!!!!  This winter will NEVER end!!!!   AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

We can see the ground but its still frozen here in Indiana. Sheesh.

Little 6.2 at lunch. Its actually quite pleasant so there is hope or as the say Hope Spring Eternal. Get it? I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.

And I didn't have any weird dreams but the cat woke me at 4:30. And no pink pajamas for me but I go have some Angry Bird one's.

Adios for now.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

I clicked on the thread wondering if there would be a picture of Holly working out in pink pajamas.

Actually, I DID work out this morning in pink and white pajamas, come to think of it.....

Mike - hang in there, buddy.  We'll talk you down from the iceburg  ledge.  Spring will get to MN before October, I promise.

Tet - Congratulations on your PR 12-hour run!  I'm thinking of signing up for one of those that is near here in October, just to see how far I could go in 12 hours.

Lamerunner - hi!

Aamos - while I envy your weather right now, if this summer is the predicted "hottest on record,"  you may have to come and visit the cooler climes...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Playing  catch up from the weekend, but

Tet had a great race, as usual.

Holly is wearing pink pj's to her daughter's school because she's sick of the wind and cold.

Cats are cats.

Dave is wired to the hilt, and we're trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a weird thing.

People's owies are getting better.

C-R is making food I would die for right now.

Posie grew something weird on her head trying to impress her coworkers and supervisors.

SteveP will be very sad to see all that beautiful snow disappear.

And Amy has a friend who used to live in San Luis Obispo - some of my old stomping grounds!!  I grew up north of there in Cambria.  Your friend will know exactly where that is.

I'm still working like a dog on the transcription job.  Put in almost 7 hrs yesterday.  My butt is tired of sitting.

This morning was an hour of core/strength training.

Saturday I did 19 miles of logging road and trail running. I bought a sample pack of a product called UCAN based on information from an on-line running cohort and some podcasts I've been listening to. The short explanation is its suppose to slowly release carbs, protein, and fat into your system over a period of 1.5 to 2 hours so you don't have to ingest so many calories while running. Many low carb runners are using this and a product called 3Fu3l. I chose UCAN based on the running co-hort's recommendation (he does low carb running due to Type 1 diabetes), the podcasts, and the price.

So you mix a packet of this stuff with no more than 16.9 oz of water and drink it 30-45 minutes for your run. I did that and also had a small bowl of yogurt, almonds, and raisins for breakfast. Took water with me, and some almond butter packets, Baby Bel cheeses, and some raisins/mixed nuts. Saturday's run took me 4:50 to complete, and I did a really fun 6-mile loop twice that has some decent climbing and a fun downhill section on the back half. I ate 3 cheeses and I think three almond butters with a handful of raisins/nuts, and took 3 S! caps (electrolytes) beginning around the 2.5/3 hr mark. I was very surprised at how good I felt the entire run. Although my legs were definitely pooped at the end, I never felt bonky, never felt mentally spent, never had stomach issues.. Since this is the first time I used the UCAN, I can't definitively say it was the reason for Saturday's results, but I felt better Saturday than I have in awhile, and this was at the end of my biggest mileage week in quite awhile. In two weeks I'll be back up in mileage, so I intend to take an extra bottle of the UCAN mix with me and take it around 3-hr mark to see what kind of results I get.

Okay, I know, blah, blah, blah. I'm done! Have a good week, Peeps ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tet, congrats on your 12 hour run with big mileage.  Mike, nice speedy 8K race.  wild, happy birthday to you daughter.  Steve, as always, I enjoyed your pictures.

There sure were a lot of nice long runs by pfriese, Holly, CNY, deez, wild, mari, ribs, evan, and fatozzig.

For a little over a week, I've been dealing with a bit of a sore throat, coughing, runny nose, and congested head.  When it started, it was rather mild and I just ignored the symptoms and kept to my normal routine.  20-30 years ago, that would have been fine.  I would have gradually recovered and been back to normal.  This time, however, it just kept getting worse and I kept ignoring it and doing what I normally would.  Yesterday, I was really feeling carpy and decided that today would be a total rest day and I would bail on my grandson babysitting duties tomorrow.  I'm doing a little better but think I was wise to stay away from my little buddy tomorrow as I don't want him to get sick.  This "geezerdom" is sometimes a pain.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

Such a busy group!  I wonder if Robin is speaking to Mike after his Saturday comment??

What?  I thought it was a totally legitimate question? 

No pink pajamas for me today.  In fact, no pink anything.  I'm still wearing dull grays and blacks and dark blues.  It's too wintery for anything else.  The storm for Wednesday seems to have taken a course farther out to sea, and I'm grateful to see that we're expecting only 1-4 inches.  It's a relief to know that we aren't being clobbered again.

9.1 easy miles for me today, heading into my last 60+ mile week of this training cycle.  And then, sweet, sweet taper.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Actually, I DID work out this morning in pink and white pajamas, come to think of it.....

...and here I am trying to remember if I put on underwear............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...and here I am trying to remember if I put on underwear............

If you lost a pair, I might be able to help you. I was working the front desk at the Y tonight when one of our members came in holding a pair of undies. Said he found them out in the parking lot. I said "thanks," then after he went through I picked them up with a piece of tissue and threw them in the garbage. Really?! If I lost underwear, I don't think I'd be looking for them in the lost and found at the Y!!

6 miles on the mill this morning. Wimped out with single digit temps and a nice brisk wind out of the northwest. Then a half hour "express" yoga class.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - I like your spin on the news.  This morning’s local NPR newscaster actually apologized for “so much terrible news but that’s our job.”  They don’t know what TMI means though.
                  Holly, I haven’t been able to find anyone else who wants it yet (or maybe they think I’ll DQ again this year too) but I’ll save for you the bathrobe they are giving out in lieu of t-shirtsat this year's Pigtail’s 100 in May. .

ps - i think it was tom's swimming suit

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

If I lost underwear, I don't think I'd be looking for them in the lost and found at the Y!!

Oh...

Hello everybody!  I have to make this quick.  I'm rushing out to my DGD'd house to give her a birthday present...she's 11.  She's such a goofy kid.  She is exactly like her mother was when she was a kid.  She's tall and skinny so I call her Weiner....she calls me Shrimp.

I did 8.2 miles on the treadmill...have I told you all how much I love my treadmill?  Yes...I think I actually love it.  We have spent a lot of time together, this year...it was bound to happen.

Okay, I gotta go.

Mariposai

O..have I told you all how much I love my treadmill?  Yes...I think I actually love it.  We have spent a lot of time together, this year...it was bound to happen.

Yeahhh, it is bound to happen. You spend a lot of time together and you fell in love........

I hope that does not mean that I am going to fell in love with the orchards in bloom race course.... Another two hours spent on the course this evening this time around to measure the mile markers with the Jones counter.

A good thing is that my DH was on the bike.

A total rest day for my wings today. Tomorrow is another story.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mike, that's how I was feeling about my treadmill last year. Or maybe more like, a little too much togetherness... Thankfully, this year, except for a week or two, here and there, I think I've been outside more than any winter ever before. I know, that means you've taken a real hit. But hey, usually it's the other way around so I'm not feeling too bad. Besides, we still have tons of ice everywhere, and even though the temps are in the 40's most days, I'm tempted by the belt-to-nowhere sometimes just to avoid the ice!

Too funny on the lost underwear. Jlynne, I think I'd do the same thing....

No pink pj's here, but I did go out for 5.1 more-or-less easy miles after work today. Pace was almost easy (ok, a wee bit fast), but effort was a little tense with all the ice and icy ruts. Felt like I might have tweaked my right ankle (again) today. Drat. But the hip felt ok. If it's not one thing, it's something else, right?

We have a whole week of this forecast. It's not really warm enough to do a LOT of melting, but every day it seems like there's just a little bit less ice and more pavement/concrete showing. I just can't wait till the trails are runnable again, but we're probably a couple months away from that still.

HermosaBoy

Sorry....I seemed to have lost it for a second there.

Aamos--thank you for including me with Hermosaboy in your comment.  However, I really do not feel worthy to even be mentioned in the same paragraph....

Me:  98/489 overall.  6/29 55-59.  31:05

Hermosaboy: 39/489 overall.  2/26 50-54.  27:53

Oh look....IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!!!

Did somebody mention my name???

As for Mike and me in the same paragraph -- let's be clear, I have NEVER won a marathon!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob