Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 7.6.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Congrats to you and the Saint on the AG hardware, Ribs. And congrats on your continued pace improvement.

Henrun, if you ever head up to the Portsmouth farmer's market, please let me know. If I'm in town, I'd be delighted to meet you there! I hope your colds fly away before you and Marj fly to LA.

Sounds like a fun day with your brother and nephew, Holly.

Sorry about the cat-chewed cord, Dave. Seems you had a well-paced day yesterday.

Low 40s, Tselbes? That's a bit cool for July. Good 10-miler for you yesterday.

Congrats to you and those other 60+ women, Aamos! Yes, you are tough in your own special way - I couldn't deal with racing in a heat index of 100.

Wildchild, if you are grill-less, you can always do roasted veggies stovetop in a wok. Nice run yesterday; if you call a trail 'steep,' I imagine it must be pretty close to vertical.

Twocat, just tell me the town and the date for the cook-off, and I'll be there! Congrats on your good 6-miler.

Welcome back, TW. I'm glad you and Claire had a good swim. 14 laps for a new swimmer is pretty good!

I hope you had a good time at the wedding yesterday, Evanflein. Good luck on your 20-miler today.

I'm glad you had a great family time on Tiffany Mtn., Mariposai. What great views from up there!

Sorry about the hornet harassment, Steve and Tag. They do get even, don't they?

Last night's roasted veggies (potatoes, onions, beets, carrots, string beans, sugar snaps, red peppers, zucchini, squash and some cherry tomatoes thrown in at the end) were delicious, and went great with DW's roasted chicken. Today I was up at 4, read a bit, and was out the door at 4:45. It was in the low 60s, and nice and dry with a delightful SW breeze - IWC. I headed north up the coast, but missed the sunrise only because of the tall cloud banks off the coast. But it was still nice to see hints of the sun climbing up behind those clouds. On the way I saw 2 foxes playing in a field; a great blue heron stalking breakfast in a tidal stream; and a pair of swans gliding across Eel Pond; a deer silently disappearing into the woods; and a few rabbits that seemed to blend in with the base of the shrubs where they hid. I went just over 11 miles, going easy on the way out, and a little harder on the way back, especially over the last mile. My reward for the effort was breakfast with DW at our favorite dive. For the rest of today, it is more yard work until I drop. If we're lucky, DW and I will squeeze in a late afternoon walk on the beach, after most of the weekend and day-trippers have headed back home.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

So you get up early in the morning and read Jay?  I could never do that.  I'm reading Anthony Trollope right now, an 800 page book. As much as I enjoy Trollope, I wouldn't get up at 4 a.m. to read him.

Aamos, that's quite a performance. Well done.

Nice run tselbs!

My oldest son tore his patellar tendon playing soccer yesterday, so tomorrow I am taking him to my sports medicine dr. the guy who is the Dallas Cowboys physician.  I think this is a surgery coming up and we want to get steered to the right guy.  Poor son.  His kneecap is about 3" above where it normally is and he is immobile.

Today I did a 6 mile recovery run at the Lake and although I was tired, it went okay.   Spareribs

..mornin' guys//....another 1 1/2 hours in the pool........

==========

as I stumbled

into the kitchen at 630 for my first cup of coffee,

I discovered a Deranged Midget in her swimming suit,

''it's too cold'' I said

''no, it's not'' I heard

''it's Snot??'' I queried

''it's not Snot'' was the comeback

''it's Snot-Snot??'' I responded

''GRANDADDY!!!!!!''

.we invented this game when she was 4,,apparently the Losing Side has to yell ''GranDaddy!!'' in an exasperated voice

we then went swimming for 1 1/2 hours

.........maybe I was the Losing Side,

about froze off my Tuckus.

........................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - those roasted veggies sound wonderful!

Ribs - ouch! for your poor DS!

TomWhite -

We had a wonderful time visiting with my brother and his son, and also the local nephew and his 4 little boys.  Today we are preparing for and driving DD to church camp in Hillsboro, Ohio, about 1.5 hours away.  She will be gone until Friday night.  This will be the first time she has gone away like this for more than a day or two, but I expect it will be harder on me than on her....

13 miles for me this morning in 66 degrees.

The tooth next to my front tooth broke off while I was brushing my teeth today.  An old crown, coming off and taking part of the tooth with it.  (sigh).  DH wants me to pull my teeth and get dentures, but I am not willing to go down without a fight.  If we can spend $17,000 on a car that we will use 8 years, why not spend $15,000 on dental implants I will use the rest of my life (which hopefully will be longer than 8 years)?  But he doesn't see it that way.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice day for running in the PNW but I'm still savoring our 10K-on-the-fourth.

I'd be up on Mt. Tiffany everyday though if it's that handy.

In the old days, posie's pic would've been on the cover of something.

Maybe a masters' album of everyone's great cover-quality photos, . . .

.. . mikeE&son, moab holly, ms's tour de hurricane, erika's ice face,

. . .somebody's knee, all of wild's, etc..

= = = = = = = = = =

apparently the Losing Side has to yell ''GranDaddy!!'' in an exasperated voice

I hear that exasperated tone a lot from 5-yp GS now that I can't get away

with quacking like a duck is nearby any more or most anything else..

.........maybe I was the Losing Side

I when it's  vs. GD / GS, there's no maybe's about it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant Sunday.

Jay--Nice long RW and wildlife sightings.  they sounded like they were enjoying the day.

Ribs--that does NOT sound like fun.  Is it as bad an injury as AT?

TW--What's the fun of having grandkids if you can't annoy them?

Holly--Sounds like the visit is going well.  Nice to get the family together after such a long time.  And while I know that dentures have gotten better since the time of our parents, I'd go kicking and screaming to avoid them as long as possible.

I had 3.5 miles yesterday and 6.5 this morning.  an double out and back on the less hilly route for Sat. and the big hill today.  I said good morning to two ladies trudging up and they said "Impressive!"  My speed up that hill does not really qualify, but it was nice of them to say.  What was nice was that I had the same pace on both.

Last night was all the fireworks that everyone couldn't fire off on the 4th.  People on the beach next to us must have gone through several thousand dollars worth.  There was a huge flotilla of boats out watching.  DW and I had a prime observation spot a few docks away.  it was pretty load until about 11pm.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Spareribs, sorry to hear about your son. Best of luck with the doctor's visit.

Tomwhite, you are the best grandpa.

Jay, thanks for taking the time to describe your run today. Lovely. I am reading "Lost in Planet China. A very good book if you plan to visit China for a long period of time.

Stumpy, way to show the girls and the hill who is the boss .

Such a lovely summer day we are having here this weekend. A bit hot and humid, but still so gorgeous. I ran 10 miles today conquering some hills too.

I think the kids have some biking in mind for me tonight. We will see.

Off to enjoy reading under my grape arbor. The hummingbirds are sure liking the new flowering plants I planted this year right in front of the arbor. It makes for a nice little paradise for my wings.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Ouch and my best toDS Ribs.  Hope the doc can get him back in playing condition asap.

Adding Jay to the cookoff as I am drooling over that spread of veggies, yum!

So glad it's all going well, Holly....and you managed to slip in a 13 miler.

See you tomorrow!

Grins

A

The usual longish bridge run for me today.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Boy--this weekend flew by.  I ended up having a pretty nice time on the 4th with DW and her oldest daughter and family.  I drank way too much and was feeling it on Saturday, which made my 2 hour run tough...I only managed 14.8 miles.

For today's 3.5 hour run, I went out to a nearby nature center and ran loops.  It has some pretty steep hills on the back side that made it pretty tough.  I managed 23.1 miles...and a gazillion black fly bites...dang trail running.

Okay--that's all I've got time for.  Is it Monday, tomorrow?  Dang.  See ya!

Hello friends, I finally have time to post here.  I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.  I got out for a run that day right before a downpour hit the area. I am sure it ruined a lot of picnics. The skies cleared in time for the fireworks show. Next year I will use my tripod and telephoto lens to get better pictures.  BTW, I loved all the pics posted over the last few days, MustangSally, tselbs "trike" and grandson, Butterfly Lady at the top of the mountain. Now if I just had a Walden Pond photo, ahem....

Speaking of ponds, my lake is turning green with algae already so I am not inclined to put my face into it to practice swimming. Besides that, it is either too cold or to windy.  For now I will run and bike but no lake swimming for me. That tri will have to wait until I find one with a pool swim, I guess.  TomWhite, that is awesome that Claire can swim! I hope my grandkids learn it easily.

MrStarr and I have been biking a bit and he tries to keep up with me. Now he's thinking about a road bike instead of the recumbent bike he has looked at. The bike store in Sioux Falls has a demo road bike that he can try so we will go over there on Saturday. They have a 19 mile paved trail but we won't do the whole thing, just up to the Falls Park.

DD1, the nurse, had several days off so she came on the 4th and has an appointment to have her car detailed tomorrow. It is quite a bit cheaper out here in the sticks than in the Twin Cities.  We had a family picnic yesterday and I ate way more than I intended too, but it was so good!  MrStarr and I spent a bit of time getting the yard somewhat in shape.  The new grass seed mostly got washed down into the lake but some of it is growing where it is supposed to. Lots of work yet to fix the bad spots.

Here are a few pictures:

Smokey and Bandit

Smokey and Bandit

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Nice fireworks, Starr! And I'm with you on not swimming in the algae. Bleh. You do such a good job of cross training.

Spareribs, ouch... that sucks! I hope they can get him fixed up and on the mend. That sounds pretty serious, like a soccer-ending injury.

SteveP, good thing you aren't allergic! My DH would swell up like crazy from just one sting.

Nephew's wedding went well, but wow was it hot out there. The setting was in a very rural area, out in gold mining country. My BIL owns a lot of land out there, so it was held out in the boonies in the full sun and low 80's temps. Beautiful in a rugged sort of way. It was fun how it could've been a wedding in a park or special venue setting, but it was out on a side of a gravel hill... hard to describe, really. But it worked, and was so totally appropriate for the occasion.

Today was another hot sunny day, and even though I got out a couple hours later than I'd wanted to, I stuck it out and got my 20 miler in. It was 86° down on the road where DH picked me up. Went through 40 oz of Nuun, 32 oz of water (during and after), 2 gels and 2 s-caps (prolly needed more of those) and I was still down 2 lbs when I got home. So I had my Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster (favorite recovery drink) and I've been sipping water all afternoon. Was much better prepared for this run than last week's bonk, that's for sure, but it was still hard. It was so nice to stop for water/etc at DH's office (mile 14) to get out of the sun for a minute. And I stopped at the hotel that's 5 miles from my house and ran cold water on my arms on the way back. That felt good! But, back out in the sun for a few miles to finish. Glad that's done. Total running time was 2:49, not counting the stops.

Happy 4th everyone!

Hoping you all had a great and safe holiday weekend..

Got in 2 runs this weekend, 8.8 late this morning around the neighborhood..

Grilled some Italian sausages on the grill this weekend, friend told me to drizzle lemon juice over them once off the grill ( had sliced them in half long ways also).. Gave it a great flavor..

Ribs, sorry to hear about your son, that has to be painful, good luck with the doctor visit..

Tomwhite - Grandparents have a right to annoy their grandkids, it's a birth rite..

Starr, nice pics and fireworks!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now if I just had a Walden Pond photo, ahem....

I second.

Starr: no need for a telephoto at all. 
                            sometimes better to get too much
                            and crop than miss the edges.

It's also hard to get them just right

in between being too bright and too dark.

Nice lake reflection too.

I wonder how erika’s nutrition compares to 2-cat and ribs.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

My nutrition? Or post run meal? We had chicken asiago/spinach sausages with sauteed sweet onions, mushrooms and garlic, with roasted butternut squash ravioli and a light alfredo sauce, and steamed broccoli. It was awesome....

SteveP

Yeyouch, Ribs. I'm glad your son will be in good hands.

Snork, TW

I'm pro implants. Quality of life and all.

Nice pictures, Starr

Tomwhite - Grandparents have a right to annoy their grandkids, it's a birth rite..

Our grandson, Noah, spent most of the day with us. We got some Lego cross training in.

SteveP