Masters Running

Tax Day Boomer Runs - 4/15 (Read 484 times)

Ding ding ding, Tammy you are right, I do believe they match the picture for skunk cabbage. I was so proud of taking that picture, then a few days later I ran past a swampy area that had about 8 of them all in bloom, which would have made an even better photo. Your legs O lead - didn't you just run a 10 mile race pretty fast recently? There is one lesson I keep learning over and over again. It always takes me much longer to recover from a hard workout than I think it should. I say if the shin is ok, try the mary.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Craneium--as one who also grew up in Rochester, I can say that you got an exceptional day. seem to remember a stat while growing up, that Rochester has more cloudy days than Seattle. Don't make it back too often anymore as we usually drag the parents to MA for holidays. I understand that Dino BBQ is supposed to be really good. Have to check it out on the next trip. For me, a short bike ride due to over sleeping and under temperture. another frost this morning (31F), but nice and sunny. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jules, LOL at your comment about getting $300 for the MIL and trying to sell yours for less. I can relate Evil grin. I hope you get better weather soon. JJJ, you sound like you had a great run! Yes, we all need to go out and play... Enke, nice haiku Smile Ran 4.6 miles of hills last night, and tonight it is XT. I get to give the stairmaster the special "dromedary salute". And to youse guys tapering for Boston: Boston bound boomers Taper madness spreading fast Drink beer and eat cake
          Nastalgia can be dangerous to the health. Back in 1985 my kids bought me running shoes that were the most uncomfortable shoes I have even worn. I could not wear them but was wisely advised that I needed to keep them around since they were a gift from the kids and for some reason that I now forget, could not be returned. I proceeded to wear these Reeboks around the house, for such times as when I was watching TV and didn't need to walk. Eventually they actually became tolerable to wear and I started making use of them. For the next 4-5 years they were what I wore for various sporting events that I participated in, which was plenty. Eventually they looked ratty and I put them in the back of my closet for use only at events where looks did not matter. When I started running in 2003, I used a nice pair of running shoes (New Balance) for all of my runs but eventually realized I needed a second pair. Where did I go to find them? I went to the back of the closet and pulled out the Reeboks that I got from the kids 18 years before. I rotated them into my running shoe scheme and found them to be solid performers. Tonight I wore them once again for my 3.52 mile run. I keep retiring them but never seem to be able to throw them away. With this run tonight I have now put on 1,080+ miles on them, not counting whatever I did the first 18 years. Oh....and by the way, I know the dangers of running with old shoes. Like I said at the start, nostalgia can be dangerous to the health. Anyone else have something they hate to retire?
          Vista
            the boomers are coming!! the boomers are coming!! Big grin Big grin can't believe you guys are just days away from being here!! can't wait!! Boston is so getting ready for you - marathon signs are up everywhere!! the weather here today started off at 31 and eeked it's way up to mid50's!! so beautiful but makes me so sad that i can't run yet!! went for a sports massage today but not feeling better at all - in fact, charge nurse just told me to go home as soon as dinner breaks are covered instead of trying to work thru this - plan on staying home tomorrow night too - have an MD appt tomorrow and plan to push for an MRI and hopefully get some answers!! cranium - those rochester pics and the boston beanie baby are great!! happy taper week to everyone running Boston!! and i can't wait to meet those of you who go to the pasta dinner - i will be there even if i have to double up on the alleve!! Big grin

denise

Mariposai

Nastalgia can be dangerous to the health. Oh....and by the way, I know the dangers of running with old shoes. Like I said at the start, nostalgia can be dangerous to the health. anyone else have something they hate to retire?
              18 years old shoes, I can't top that, but I still have and always will have my New Balance that I used to train and run my first marathon in. Sweet memories...like that first kiss. Oh, I also have that first race shirt I ever received and all the race bib number that I hope it will go with me the day I get die.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

As I was running tonight after work, I couldn't help but think of the one's going through taper madness....I have to admit tearing up a few times because I am running what ever I want to...but you guys and gals can't. You all are my inspriration to keep pounding the pavement.....really!!! 7 miles tonight and my legs felt rather "froggy" rather than "loggy" (probably not real words, lol) as I thought they would be sore and tired. I was trying to run at 9:45 to 10:00 pace, but was running at 8:00 pace...I kept having to slow down to keep myself in check. You all ROCK, no matter who you are, and how far or fast you run!!!! Oh yeah....re-newed my drivers license after work tonight, and yes....the picture was absolutey dorky...go figure, huh? It was funny because there were a couple of teenie bopper girls that asked to have their pictures taken again because they looked so bad....they said nope, the picture is just fine...I got a laugh out of that. Have a wonderful evening all. Tim Summary: dont chew gum while having your driving license picture taken...odds are against you.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good thing PDR is checking the weather forecast cuz I'm not allowed to. Much. Oh, maybe just once or twice. This afternoon.
                  My favorite right now is weather.com: Mostly Cloudy, High 52. Accuweather is Rain, High 53 WBZ-TV is Rain, High 48 (Bleh) noaa.gov is mostly sunny, high 57 See what happens when I'm tapering and WRFB is out of town - I stay up way too late! Look at the time!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

Just got back a few minutes ago from 4 lovely moonlit miles. Dog, babysitter and I went out on a tour through town. SO quiet tonight, it was like it had just snowed, but it was 50something out and clear. My H is out of town...babysitter's Mom watched my kids! She's so psyched for her daughter to be getting her mileage in, that she's willing to put up with my crazy kids. Big grin Great night all around and fun reading today here! I'm learning a lot. Yes

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

lots of fun posts to read tonight! :-) Vista, I just threw out 5 pairs of retired Asics, who knows why I didn't sooner. Ok, I really just moved them from my closet to the garage, but reeally close to the trash. I had a great time at the interval workout tonight 5 x 1k at ~5k pace. It felt great and the extra rest made me feel fast. At the end we did a Lance-finish-time pool. My money is on 2:47...I suspect he'll be slower than that though. Night all!
                      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                      also on Twitter

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enke - though they get up to six feet in the coastal mountain rain forests, there’s a bunch of small ones by the Cherry Blossom Pond in the Arboretum too Tammy, unlike most subsequent marathons that regular fitness runners don’t mind DNF’ing without any regrets whatsoever, an inagural marathon is too precious to let some injury you know about ruin it. Do Eugene now only if you can fret about, . . . I mean focus on the marathon itself, not worry about how some one-time injury is going to affect it. You can be still be very proud if the marathon defeats you in spite of your best efforts but you’ll only be sorry if you defeated you. vista - not that I'm glad I'm like mariposai in this regard but I wore my Nike Waffle stompers and even t-shirt from marathon number one in 1977 around Hayward Field in Eugene with the goddesses last year. Hope you can come out and wear your first ones too in 2015. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tuesday - working on a major merger of data with two agencies at work yesterday and after we finished we discovered that the "master names" file was corrupt! Thank goodness for backups. Anyway that caused me to be late and I had plans to meet Dick Beardsley and listen to him give a bit of an inspirational talk on his "Duel in the Sun" with Alberto Salazar and of his battle with pain medications. What an excellent speaker and such a personable guy he is. I also got him to autograph a copy of the book "Duel in the Sun". So I ended up squeezing in a 5 miler at a bit better than marathon pace - 36:37 (7:17) Avg HR 147 - 7:28 - 7:20 - 7:17 - 7:16 - 7:07 - :09 - Sunny and 59 degrees Big grin
                          SteveP

You guys rock. With the job and getting Mom's stuff in order for a memorial service and an estate auction, making time for a run has been tough. Don't take this as a complaint. We're making progresss and our moods are up beat.

SteveP