Masters Running

Recipe of the Week - let's do Slow Cooker Recipes (Read 1467 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm a big fan of slow cookers - it's wonderful to get home from work to some flavorful aroma filling the house and knowing all you have to make is a side dish and veggies.  Here's a recipe I tried recently that is my new favorite way to do pork roast.  This was AWESOME - both the night we cooked it, then later in sandwiches.

Note: I will eliminate the last step for my family - cooking the broth and serving it on the side - we thought the shredded pork was just fine without it.

Slow Cooker Char Siu Pork Roast

Char Siu is a Chinese version of barbeque.  Serve with white rice and steamed or stir-fried veggies.

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup hoisin sauce

3 tblspn ketchup

3 tblspn honey

2 tsp minced garlic

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

1 tsp dark sesame oil

½ tsp five-spice powder

2-3 pounds boneless Boston butt pork roast, trimmed

½ c. chicken broth

Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.  Place in a large zip-top plastic bag.  Add pork to bag; seal.  Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

Place pork and marinade in crockpot.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board and cover with foil; keep warm.

Add broth to sauce in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.  Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Holly!  I would love to expand my use of the slow cooker.  Of course, I have to use mostly chicken or no meat (not complaining, keeping heartboy crossing the finish lines is worth the effort) but I'm getting good at that.  This looks great.

I just made lasagna in mine over the weekend.  I used no-fat cottage cheese and a lot of no fat cheese, about 1/2 no salt tomato sauce and it still came out tasty.  You don't have to boil the noodles.  And it only takes about 4 hours on low.  D. had some for lunch today and said it reheated well and that I "sure could make that one again."

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
        Oh, oh, me, me, call on me, call on me!!!!  I love slow cookers!  Alas, I am not too creative and just follow recipes.  My overall favorite recipe book is Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.  It is just phenomenal.  Another favorite of mine is Southwest Slow Cooking.  Careful some of the recipes are pretty spicy!  One of my DW's favorites and mine too is the tomatillo chicken.  But I increase the tomatillo by about 50% seeing as how we love those things.  If I remember I will post a Mexican style beef stew that uses a clay pot.  The original slow cooker!  That is one my of all time favorite dishes.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i love my slowcooker too ........nothing like throwing dinner in the pot when i get home from work in the morning and waking up to the smells of a cooked dinner!!

yesterday did bbq pulled pork but cheated and used a package mix made for slow cookers -- usually i use a mix of ketchup, bbq sauce and various seasonings

tomorrow also cheating and using a seasoning mix for beef stew with carrots, mushrooms and potatoes.........i dont eat red meat but have to go to work anyway so the menfolk will have dinner ready for them!!

denise

evanflein

Twocat, I have that first cookbook and you're right, it is really good!

Denise, we do the pulled pork thing a lot (well, more than most other things) and I improvise the sauce with bbq sauce, some salsa, a dash of lemon juice, sometimes whatever I have in the fridge. It's a good way to use up old bits of this and that in the sauce/marinade/salsa category.

Aamos, do you have a round crockpot? Or one of those oblong shaped ones? I'd love to know how you did that; I've seen the lasagna recipes but always wondered how they'd turn out. I've seen two recipes that call for the oblong shaped cooker, and I don't have that.

I have a round one--I just "creatively snapped" the hard noodles, then used the cuttings to fill in the open spots.  It all sort of melded together.

I'm going to try a simple apple cobbler tomorrow--just 4 apples, sliced, a quarter cup of honey, some cinnamon (i'll prolly add some other things like nutmeg and ginger) and 2 cups of granola.  The recipe I have calls for 2 T of butter that I'll omit.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-3.  Should make the house smell cozy and will make a good dessert.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

erika - that's kind of what i do too -- like the idea of adding salsa too -- yummy!!

amy - apple cobbler sounds great!!

i have the beef stew cooking in there right now - mine is an oval shape - think its 6quarts but not sure - it's a pretty good size to feed my hungry menfolk!!

denise

SteveP

Festive Roast

In the morning, take a crock pot and place in a beef or pork roast. You like a lot of roast, use a lot of meat. You like chicken, use chicken. Add one large jar of salsa. You like it spicy, use hot salsa. You like it mild, use mild salsa. Put a can of corn in. This is not an option. It adds a festive look and the author is not changing the name at this point. You like garbanzo beans? Add garbanzo beans. You like leeks? Take a leek and put it in your roast. You like potatoes? Add potatoes. Same with carrots. Green peppers add a nice flavor and adds color. You say you’re not sure about peas? All we are saying is give peas a chance. Make sure the crock pot is plugged in. Turn it on low and forget about it. Go to work. Come home. Enjoy. Tell your spouse how difficult it was and guilt them into cleaning up the kitchen.

SteveP

Mariposai

My DS2 and I just made this Portuguese pot roast today. This is so good. Wow we had to make ourselves stop eating, it was that good. We added tomatillos from the garden  to the tomatoes and used more garlic than asked for....and we used a generic brand chorizo.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1618,144173-227198,00.html

Buen Apetito!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - the chorizo - do you leave it in the casing as a whole sausage, or do you dice it up?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Festive Roast

I like this kind of recipe .     (and the reminders about plugging in and turning on.  this has been an issue in the past in my house.  that's all I'm sayin' about that.) 

I think I'll omit the potatoes and garbanzo beans, maybe add some chopped olives and serve over rice with low-fat or fat free cheese and sour cream as garnishes.

Masters 2000 miles

Holly - that roast sounds awesome!

I like to make taco soup in the crockpot:

1 pound of burger, browned (2 chicken breasts will work in lieu of red meat)

1 cup of salsa

bag of frozen corn

packet of taco seasoning - your choice

packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (the powered stuff)

2 cans of southwest style beans

1 can of Rotel (or any diced tomatoes with chile peppers)

Throw it all in the pot and cook all day.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and corn chips

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Sue - that sounds great!  I could picture serving that on tostadas, too. 

I'm printing all these up to try soon.  Thanks everyone!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I love slow cookers, and I also love simple, throw together before I step out the door recipes:

Pot Roast:

Chuck roast - or whatever is on sale and big enough to feed the family.

1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 can Cream of mushroom soup

3/4 can of water

Mix soup, soup mix and water together.   Brown roast on both side with a little salt and pepper.   Put roast in crock pot, poor soup mixture over top and cook all day.   Normally I cook a 3 pound roast on high until the kids got home around 2:30, 3:00 and then had them turn down to low - but now they are gone.  If it is a large roast, I'd cook all day on high - smaller, cook on low.

Beef Stroganhoff:

1 to 1 1/2  pounds of fresh stir fry beef slices

1 8 oz. pkg. of fresh mushroom slices

1 can beef gravy

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 - 3/4 Cup Sour Cream

Brown beef in a little EVOO (just call me Rachel) and add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, little garlic powder.  Put into crock pot.   Mix gravy and mushroom soup together and stir into the meat mushroom mixture and cook on low all day.

Add sour cream, stir in and let cook while boiling egg noodles.  Add noodles to mixture and serve.    Yum-O!

I also have a great chicken noodle soup recipe - but that it at home and I don't have it memorized.   I'll try to remember to look it up and post tomorrow.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Sue - what are southwestern style beans?