Masters Running

Monday, May 19 Daily (Read 576 times)

Hi there fellow traveler Ribs. Nice runs and good conversation here as always. I did run today---4 miles at 5:45 AM in Staunton Virginia near the campus of Mary Baldwin College. Stunning campus and the students say that MBC stands for Major Big Calves.....talk about hills. Wowsa and the main buildings are all atop these fierce climbs. I was prepared and didn't wear my NYC heels for this jaunt. I am in Atlanta now for a client I'll see tomorrow and then home tomorrow night. Good run today----45F and a nice trek over some rolling hills all in 35 minutes. It was a good way to greet a long work day. I called home and the kiddo wrested the phone from my husband's hand. He was excited to tell me that he did the mile today in gym class and in a 7:34. For my hockey playing/baseball dude, that's whip fast compared to past efforts (11 minutes last year). He's getting carried away with how he can beat mom now that he is officially taller than I am. Yikes....gotta do some intervals soon! I am proud. G'nite all....sleepy and still need to prep for tomorrow. CNyrunner
      For all the Red Sox fans (this means you AAmos and Vista) John Lester just threw a no hitter Shocked graphic says he's first lefty Sox since '56 to do it. Great game, including diving catch in the outfield by Jacoby. eta: Like some one else mentioned--Where is Bob? Don''t remember that he was travelling anywhere.
      Thanks for this Stumpy.......I was watching Cubs baseball and they broke to the Red Sox game in the ninth inning to let us see this end. Good game. (By the way, your daughter is beautiful. Put an armed guard on her for the next 20 years). The 1956 lefty was Mel Parnel who threw that one. I remember him as a pitcher but not the no hitter. I do remember the ones thrown by Earl "No Hit" Wilson and Bill Monbouquette in the same year (1962). I also remember Dave Morehead throwing his in 1965. There wasn't another Red Sox no hitter for over 36 seasons until Hideo Nomo threw his. Since then there have been Derek Lowe's and Clay Buchholtz's before Lester's tonight. Other notable no hitter's for the Red Sox are two thrown by Cy Young and then one by Babe Ruth before he went to the Yankees and became an every day hitter. Here is a question for baseball trivia fans. This was Boston's 19th No Hitter in their long history. What major league franchise does not have ANY? (You might be surprised at the answer to this one)
      Vista
        late report for monday's run - 3.5 sloooooooow hot miles off to work, susan
        SteveP

A while back I think I mentioned my daughter, Sandy, is going to attempt the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City this Sat. and we will be there as cheerleaders. I'm in the process of getting our camper ready and we have reservations at a local campground. We'll probably get to the expo late Fri afternoon or early evening. Mrbill and hallar are supposed to be there and maybe our paths will cross. Steve, you mentioned you'll be working an aid station on Bluff Rd. Checking a map, I see that covers a lot of the course. Do you know any more specifically where you'll be? I have a copy of the course map and plan to hit the spectator areas as Sandy progresses. I may jog or jog/walk with her for parts of the race if it's not too crowded. TomS
          Bluff road rocks!!! The aid station workers have to wear the same shirts as to be easy to spot by racers. Maybe I can still wear the glasses, howeer, it's not about what I want. It's about the event and focus on the runners. I'll be at the 7.5 mile point. I'm fired up!!! http://www.mapquest.com/maps/eagles+landing:%5B10900-10937%5D+Bluff+Rd+Traverse+City+MI+49686/#a/search/l::[10900-10937]+Bluff+Rd:Traverse+City:MI:49686:US:44.8446:-85.5205:street:/m::7:44.855546:-85.573393:0::/so:Eagles+Landing:::d::25:::::/e (I hope this link works) If any Master Runners e-mail me at smpankowski at hotmail dot com, I'll send my cell #. I'll see if I can't get to the expo Friday night.

SteveP