Masters Running

Wednesday, 3.30.16 (Read 40 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Life is made of the small connections we make with our fellow travelers.

And conversely, if we are not connecting, it is intelligent to take some time and effort to try and figure out why.  [Big props to Tammy.]

My summary of today, .......

O, Erika, the Runners marathon of Reston is April 10, and there's a relay option.  I'm doing the full--Reston is where my college roommate and her husband live, and it's a really well organized run, this will be my third time.  Barb and her fam are doing the relay, and so I blithely invited Holly along.

Just ran short this am, as I ran after work last night.  It's cool today, though, so now I'm tempted to go out again tonight, just for a few......

And I have a half Saturday, so that'll be shorter than usual unless I can scooch in some extra before and/or after.   (That bike ride on Saturday with the wind sounds rugged, Slo.)

You seem to be handling communicating here just swell, ts, so here's to continued eye healing and health.

And hope you maintain your non-work schedule, Steve.

Looking for that golf report, Holly and DD.  (I wonder if she likes the new Meghan Trainor song, "NO.")

grins,

A

ps: the Tomoka race folks asked if they could post my blog piece on their FB page.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwalker I inherited a bad back. (Minor scoliosis.)  Having your back go is no fun. It is amazing how a little exercise cures that problem.

buehrle cell phone off!?! Off!  Noooooo  . . .

Slo_Hand marathon training is overrated. Believe me. 

fatozzig funny having to prepare to run on a hard surface. All my runs are on hard surfaces.

enkephalin did you consider running to work? 

Dave59 yes changing clothing with the weather does help. That sounds like it was one sweaty run! 

Holly S. I know I have been telling myself how wonderful I am for the past several years.  More seriously, I hope you find a way out of your dark tunnel. I think there is a lot to TammyinGP's story about her parents.

wildchild your DH should get together with my DW and start the stressed out and anxious people that will not do anything to undo that club. It is hopeless. On the positive side my DW deals in corporate bonds and thinking everything is going to go south any minute is a good trait in that field. There are not many careers where that is true and it is good that she found the one for her!  Still, I wish she were more upbeat and less stressed out as I am sure you wish for your DH.

tselbs my DW has heard so many stories where cataract surgery improving people's vision so much. I hope that you get eyeglass free! The stories are so good my DW is wondering why you need cataracts to get the surgery. Why not just replace the lens because glasses are a pain in the neck?

tomwhite I find it amazing you can now do a four hour hike! Congratulations.

evanflein glad to hear you are volcano misery free in your area. It would be cool to go see it however.

SteveP the problem you are going to have with 40 hour boundaries is that you seem to have quite a good time at work! I have a sneaky suspicion it is not all your company's doing. Which is, a good thing!

The big news is that the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club has a full set of runners for the Reach the Beach Relay! Yea!!!! This is a new land speed record for filling the vans. And when it comes to Rosie land speed means vehicle assisted! Work has kept me really busy this week but in a good way. On the other hand, it has meant a running hiatus as I have to leave early for the office and I get home late.

That critter I caught yesterday has a friend. They have been reunited.

This one is a lot smaller than the other one. My DW wonders if the other was pregnant. If so, glad to have her out of the house before we had a whole nest of whatever kind of rodent it is. I tell you this new trap I purchased is great! I wish I had bought it years ago. Easy to use. Works on mice and somewhat larger rodents. Cheap too!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Quick post 5.6 miles for my 56th birthday!! Rosie Ruiz vans are full - yay!!

denise

tomw, nice hike.  Steve, I hope you've got that flu on the run.  {{{Holly}}}.  Deez, happy birthday.

Since I 'm back to not running for a few weeks, I walked twice today, 2 miles on the TM this morning and 3 miles outside this afternoon.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

...tammy//......it takes a Lot of Guts to post that, thank you.......

+1

Similarly, my dad and the SM he married when I was 3 got divorced when I was 19, or thereabouts.  She married someone else and after 12 years got divorced.  Then she and my dad got married again, on the 34th anniversary of their first wedding.  She died last year, but they were apparently very happy for the years they had together.

Leslie - you are spot-on about this group.

Amy - DD and I had a lovely, if a bit windy, day on the course.  We don't keeps score so it is very casual and no drama.  She brought a friend along to walk with her and teach her about the game.  Now the friend is thinking of taking up golf.

Now I am off to pack for my conference.  It is only 1:45 from home, but the boss said he would pay for the hotel if I wanted to stay overnight and I am happy to do so.  Since I am staying over, I accepted the invitation to join some of the attorneys for dinner Thursday at a local restaurant.  These are the top elder law attorneys in the state, and I am interested in listening to their discussions of their cases and the changes going on in Ohio Medicaid.   And then I can have a quiet evening reading my Kindle and getting to use the hotel Fitness Center in the morning. 

Deez - is it your birthday - Happy Birthday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I hope you had a lovely birthday, dear sistahh.

Can't wait in September!

Quick post 5.6 miles for my 56th birthday!! Rosie Ruiz vans are full - yay!!

5 miles of running for me today. It was lovely.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Thanks Buehrle. Sometimes us fellas need a reminder to wear pants.

You're a champ, Tammy.

TwoCat, I make the best of it. Often, I'll soul search and ask to what extent am I causing my own headaches(IE "Do I goof off?"). Then ask for the insight others whose response I can't predict. I started tracking the number of incoming phone calls routed to my office vs the number of calls going through the switch board. As of Wednesday afternoon, exactly 50% had been sent to my office. I let most calls go to voice mail, with is sent to my mobile device. I have answers before I call back. At the last company sponsored social function, the wives of two employees came up and told me how better their husbands' careers have been since I came back with the company. Customers have asked that I become their salesperson. The response is always, "Your salesperson does just fine. This is what I do.". A vendor called up and said he appreciated the way I looked out for his company. I look out for our company. His tail getting covered is a happy bonus and is exactly the same thing that's done for a dozen other suppliers. Though I'm not educated, I've learned who is motivated to work, who is putting time in until they retire, who is there to make buddies...etc.

My new time-saving goal is telling the sales-staff that I will help them out of a problem. Not instead of them. If they are willing to put in sweat equity, I'll drop what I'm doing and bend over backwards. If not, they can find another hourly person to do that or make excuses to their customers.

Mice travel up to two miles to get back the their nests.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks Buehrle. Sometimes us fellas need a reminder to wear pants.

You're a champ, Tammy.

TwoCat, I make the best of it. Often, I'll soul search and ask to what extent am I causing my own headaches(IE "Do I goof off?"). Then ask for the insight others whose response I can't predict. I started tracking the number of incoming phone calls routed to my office vs the number of calls going through the switch board. As of Wednesday afternoon, exactly 50% had been sent to my office. I let most calls go to voice mail, with is sent to my mobile device. I have answers before I call back. At the last company sponsored social function, the wives of two employees came up and told me how better their husbands' careers have been since I came back with the company. Customers have asked that I become their salesperson. The response is always, "Your salesperson does just fine. This is what I do.". A vendor called up and said he appreciated the way I looked out for his company. I look out for our company. His tail getting covered is a happy bonus and is exactly the same thing that's done for a dozen other suppliers. Though I'm not educated, I've learned who is motivated to work, who is putting time in until they retire, who is there to make buddies...etc.

My new time-saving goal is telling the sales-staff that I will help them out of a problem. Not instead of them. If they are willing to put in sweat equity, I'll drop what I'm doing and bend over backwards. If not, they can find another hourly person to do that or make excuses to their customers.

Mice travel up to two miles to get back the their nests.

That should give TC something to look forward to.

Steve--Wish I could clone you for a few of our suppliers and contractors.  I treasure the guys that know what I need, even when it's not what I asked for.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...and ps steveP//.........your Attitude makes you Quite Educated........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...and ps steveP//.........your Attitude makes you Quite Educated........

My thoughts exactly!!

And 2Kitty - Hope you moved those critters more than 2 miles away.  Just sayin . . . .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance