Masters Running

Friday Jan 18 Masters runs (Read 499 times)

evanflein

Steve, prayers to you and your family. You've been such a good son, your mother did a good job. Holly, I had to bring my kids to work a couple times when they were younger. We had the big talk about how mommy HAS to work and can't talk and play... they HAVE to be quiet and do their "work" (coloring or whatever). Inevitably, that lasts for about... oh... 8 minutes. Holly, prepare to get absolutely nothing done... Teresa, tourists always comment on how "friendly" Alaskans are, especially Fairbanksans. I think it's partly that, but a lot of us are sorta naive too... My sister, who lived in New York (upstate) for a few years, says I'd never make it in a big city. Hmmmm. roch, I'd stay in too. I hate wind, especially in the winter. Thank goodness we don't get much. I didn't get diddly done last night. Made an awesome dinner... but by the time I got all my after work errands done, got home and put things away, etc, I started dinner at around 7:15, we were done by 8:30... I was starving when I got home and proceeded to eat everything that wasn't nailed down... and ate dinner! I'm so fat this morning...It will be interesting to run a marathon with all this extra. There seems to be a little "more" of me each one... by Boston I'll be huge! Tight lipped Oh well. I'm gonna try to run a couple on the treadmill tonight, but I still have to pack up for my week away and finalize housesitter plans, etc! CNY, that's why I always always always have my running shoes etc in my carry on.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My thoughts are with you Steve. I love your fawn story - that would truly be an site to see. Scheduled rest day for me. Cross trained last night by playing Wii bowling. I now hold the official high score of the family - 244 and I am also the boxing champion. HooHa! Big grin Rochrunner and Tim - I'd like to take on the artic running challenge this weekend with you two. The only thing that will keep me inside is if the wind kicks up driving the wind chill down - other than that - game on! Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

HORRIBLE weather in Maine this morning - it snowed overnight, then changed to pouring rain. Blech. I had to drive the 3 kids to school and was thankful for our politically-incorrect SUV - I wouldn't made it out the driveway without it. Fortunately, I had planned my week around today since the storm was forecast all week. I went to an hour-long strength training class at the Y (gosh, I'm so uncoordinated, it's embarrassing - the instructor is always having to tell me to do things differently), and then ran a mile on the treadmill just for fun. The sun has come out in full force right now, so I'm hoping the streets will be decent tomorrow. Erika, from looking at your profile, I don't see how you could ever qualify as "fat," lol! I know what you mean, though. I really have to concentrate on not eating a lot, especially after I run. CNY, tough luck about your luggage! Grr. I'll remember Erika's suggestion about taking my running stuff in my carry on. When I go to South Africa in November, I would hate to be without it for a couple of weeks! Have a great weekend! Teresa PS - I DO like Yankees - they're just so different than Southerners, though! We've made some really great friends up here.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I will be out for sure Mary...will be thinking of you guys while I'm running in those coooold temps. Yeah, it's suppose to be real windy here, but will try and get some good outside runs in regardless Big grin Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

BTY

Hi everybody. After stating on Wednesday's thread how I never run with a watch, I ran with a watch today. I checked on my time periodically (like on the mile marks) just to see what my tendencies are, and as I suspected I run just a bit slower on mile 1 and over the last 1/2 mile, even during this time of year when everything is easy running, and my easy running lines up closer to my normal "recovery jog" pace than my "easy running" pace (ref. MacMillan). So, 5 miles in 45:58, avg pace 9:12/m. Slowly coming around. 18.5 miles for the week. Most in a long time. MTA - Oh, actually I did get some good use out of the watch. I ran 100m strides during 4.0 to 4.5 mile marks, and I timed the 100m strides at 20 sec and the 100m recoveries at 40 sec. After 4 of these I realized that at my current level of fitness, I should give myself at least 200m recovery between strides. bty
              Hi all, Sorry to hear about your Mom Steve. We had a very nice young woman from Texas working in our lab in T.O. for awhile. She was just so friendly and caring, everybody loved her. She had lots of young men following her home at night too, asking her out for coffee. She went to Europe for the summer and came back with too many stories of all the nice guys she was talking to, suddenly flashing her or groping her. We had to tell her not to be so friendly all the time. Good Luck Holly. Since my daughter talks non-stop from the moment she wakes up in the morning....it would never work. She can't even watch TV by herself for more than 10 minutes without giving up and climbing all over me. Oh yeah, I had one of those sluggish runs that I was contemplating on cutting short, but then I kept on thinking, but what would evanflein do?? She'd be in heaven with these above freezing temps! Suck it up enke!, so I did and completed the 12.5 miles feeling greta.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Well......I am praying for your mom there Steve. You folks have done really well by her from all that you have shared. Erika would have to gain 20 pounds before you would even notice she had put any weight on. But the fact is, how she perceives herself is what matters. We all see things in ourself that others don't see or notice. I did a nice 8.13 mile run this afternoon. This was done in anticipation of some weather coming tomorrow that might ruin my chances of doing a long run then. The first mile today still brought some discomfort in the chest, but after that there was no pain. The bruise is fading and all that is left are little lumpy areas behind the skin. I wonder what that is? The bruise is up in the high chest area where I would think it is mainly pectoral muscles. Oh....Holly is going to need a nice glass of something tonight....lol. At the same time, years from now today's office visit by DD will be one of the family stories and memories. Gee, the Disney race reports everyone is giving sounds like a lot of fun adding to my race agenda for next year. Being from Maine originally, I will have to say that people from that area are a type all of their own. While I never saw it growing up, now reflecting back on the area and the times it certainly rings true. They can be extremely loyal, but it may take some time to get in their good graces to start with. In regards to the nice lady from Texas, I have never been quite sure if ladies understand how easily a man can be encouraged at times. In some cases I have thought tha actions of some ladies were deviously planned, but at other times I felt it was simply not understanding what was going on. This is all just my observation and not my experience. Have a great weekend one and all.
                Vista

Manchild

Just got home from work to check in...Steve, I am praying for your Mom and sending healing thoughts to both of you and your family during this difficult time. To everyone: Have a greta weekend! Chris
                    Add in my prayers to you and your family at this very sad time Steve. CNYrunner - wow that really bites! FWIW I once had somebody take my bag by accident. It took a couple of days but I did get it back. I was supposed to go on a 20 mile run today and have my training partner come with me for the first 10. It was raining when we were supposed to start at 6:45 so she called to bail out. I gave it another 20 minutes and decided it was now or never since I had to be on my way out of town by 10:45. Off I went with my trusty running jacket to keep me dry. After I got started I began thinking of routes and realized with some creativity I could cut out a hill and add a water fountain. But would cutting out the hill on this run be a form or wimping out? To help me figure this out I decided to play the latest game here and asked WWED? Since it was 40 degrees out I figured put on a tank top and shorts for the run. Alas, as insights go this one was not very helpful. Clowning around Then I decided any sane person would cut out the hill and add the water stop. So that is what I did: 20.64mi@9:11. Best of all Pfitz's schedule does not have another 20+ miler on tap for two weeks!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hang in there, Steve. Today's workout: CARDIO: 3 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 8:59 pace CALISTHENICS: Stretching, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bench dips, hip exercises STRENGTH: 30 lat pulldowns, 30 dumbell curls each arm, 30 squats, 30 leg curls, 100 wrist curls with light barbell Dark Colt accompanied me to the gym this afternoon, which was nice. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #957

DD and I survived the office, and she actually behaved pretty well. I managed to finish all vital work by 2pm, and the boss was willing to let me go at that point. DD fell asleep in the car within 2 minutes. Happy news! My DH has wonderfully offered to take my volunteer obligation at the church in the morning stuffing programs so I can switch out my LR for tomorrow instead of Sunday. The morning’s forecast is 22(feels like 10) degrees, while Sunday is forecast to be 7(feels like -5) degrees, so I’d MUCH rather do my LR tomorrow. What’s a little snow and 20mph winds? WWED? She’d do a LR BOTH days! Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good runs to all Masters! Steve, prayers going out to your Mom and family. A nice easy 6 miles @ 10:33 pace. I missed my Wed. run this week, so I'll have to double up and get another 6 miler in tomorrow...then finish up the week with 9 on Sunday...at least that's the plan.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Mariposai

My thoughts and prayers are with you Steve. Way to go Enkie, 12.5 miles wow!!!. Vista, you are doing well yourself also. Great posting about ladies. You are one gentleman, my friend. 8 Magical Healing Miles like peerchreek would say. It is 32F around here. I have yet to look at the weather report for the weekend, but with packing and all I am thinking that I may not have much chance to run at all. Good luck weekend runners!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

CNY, I hope you get your bag back. Erika, and all the weekend racers, good luck! DH, happy to hear about Ben. call physical therapy. Roll eyes Gordon & Tramps, me too. I'm trying yoga again, a new dvd tonight that worked pretty well. I need to get back to the PT exercises, they get pretty boring pretty fast. Steve, please give your mom a hug from me. tell her she raised a very fine son. my thoughts are with all of you.
                                DH, happy to hear about Ben. call physical therapy. Roll eyes
                                Debbie, I don't know, 3 slow miles a day on the treadmill seems to be working out for me right now. Just trying to keep one step ahead of the man from the glue factory. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.