Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 12/23 (Read 275 times)

4 stages of life: 1)You believe in Santa Claus 2)You don't believe in Santa Claus 3)You are Santa Claus 4)You look like Santa Claus

4 miles this early a.m., and thankfully the deluge that pounded outside as I was getting dressed stopped just as I was ready to leave.  Ended up being a pleasant predawn run, followed by about 50 min of core/strength training.

Then I got to go to work and deal with End of the Year Bookkeeping Monday.  I don't know what's worse, that or sticking a needle in my eye over and over and over and over.  They're kind of the same. Black eye

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

4 stages of life: 1)You believe in Santa Claus 2)You don't believe in Santa Claus 3)You are Santa Claus 4)You look like Santa Claus

4 miles this early a.m., and thankfully the deluge that pounded outside as I was getting dressed stopped just as I was ready to leave.  Ended up being a pleasant predawn run, followed by about 50 min of core/strength training.

Then I got to go to work and deal with End of the Year Bookkeeping Monday.  I don't know what's worse, that or sticking a needle in my eye over and over and over and over.  They're kind of the same. Black eye

didn't know that your avatar was a self portrait Evil

I started out in a mist that turned into something resembling a dleuge.  Oh well, at least it was windy.  3.1 very damp miles.  managed to avoid any major puddles for the first two miles, Then hit a big one with both feet.  Sort of freeing, actually, 'cause then I didn't have to try as hard to avoid them anymore.  46°, so shorts in the middle of December.  Keeps me wondering how people can say that there's not some sort of climate change going on.

Happy pre-Christmas week to all.  Hope your shopping is going well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

It was cold and rainy this a.m., but did my 5 miles with strides, plus about 40 min of core/strength training, plus had an encounter with a very strange dude which forced me to move my stride work to another stretch of road.  I wasn't paying attention to him and thought he was talking on a cell phone, but when I turned around to jog back to my starting point for my 4th stride, he was at the intersection I needed to run to and started yelling at me, "What're you looking at $itch?"  "You stupid blankety-blank $itch!"  and so on.  My pace improved in my haste to get out of there. Big grin  No worries.  I had my pepper spray at the ready and would've given him a full dose and then some if he'd tried anything, not to mention screamed my fool head off at the top of my lungs and woken up the neighborhood.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - creepy encounter! That's one way to get some spring in your strides!

Stumpy - 46F = shorts??? BRRR!!

Managed to get a shuffle in yesterday after colonoscopy. Talk about no big deal! The doc said "no running because you might collapse since you've had sedation" but I felt fine. Decided to take it cautiously all the same, because a couple polyps were removed and I didn't want to cause any bleeding. So the streak continues. 1872 mi down for the year, "only" 128 to go, just over 9.1 per day. I think I've got this!

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

40 is the nominal swtichover temp.  Although fall into winter I may go into the 30's and winter into spring I'll stay in long pants for a while above.  Depends on wind and rain.  Also just to be able to wear shorts in Dec is always a draw.  I'll loose the shirt if it hits 50 during the winter. 

Unlike some of us that seem to thrive in 80+, my sweet spot is about 30-50.  And I'd rather go lower than higher.

Glad you were able to get out and keep the string going--the only moivng I felt like was towards bed.

Hey folks.

2.25 for me this late afternoon.  I like 30-50F.  But tend to overdress. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              OrangeMat

MM #6177

46F while racing is skort weather for sure. For an EZ PZ run, it's tights. It's all about the effort you put out there, is the way I see it. Today it was in the low 50s and I had tights, long sleeve shirt and gloves. I was overdressed regardless of my pace but appreciated the compression effect of the tights on my slightly achy shin.

Howdy all! Now back into my hole....

You go, Arla!  Drugs and all!

Thanks for popping in, OM.

It's really nice having you back, Ev.

Last year I wore my capris almost the entire winter, with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 runs.  This year, it's definitely colder.  I bring out the winter tights when things get in the low 40s, and will wear a thin long sleeved tech shirt with my running sleeves over the top, and I can pull the sleeves down if I get too warm.  Also, usually just wear a running and ear pops, but Saturday and this morning, I also donned a warm whatever-you-call-it over my cap.  Reason for the cap still?  The bill keeps my  headlamp from sliding down my forehead.

Okay - I gotta get some more transcription done.  The Hub made fantastic individual chicken pot pies for dinner and I'm pleasantly plump and would much rather take a shower and go to bed, but I must soldier on!  You know, it really bothers him when he's not working (if it's raining, you can't do yard work), but when he's not, he does the housework, laundry, cooking, etc.  It's really nice.  I have my own houseboy! Wink I just haven't completely convinced him that that's worth as much as bringing in money.  If we weren't able to pay our bills, it'd be different, but we are. It's tight, but we're doing it.  And since I have been in the world of transcription at home for the past four months, having someone around to do all that really means a lot.  After all is said and done, I ended up with a really great guy. Approve

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie- FWIW, I have a friend, a famous scientist in his field, who was a stay-at-home dad for many years. His friends gave him some ribbing, colleagues tsk-tsk'd him saying he'd never have a career in science again, but he was happy with the arrangement and, besides, his wife had a higher income than he did so it made financial sense. Well, guess what? He eventually went back to science, he's very successful thank-you-very-much, and his family is strong. 

Stumpy - I should clarify that I took a good, long nap before that short shuffle! I also do not remember the first couple hours after the procedure very well. 

OM sighting!!!  I see you're now sporting an official Maniac number!

ev - "like" and "30" don't belong in the same sentence. Ever. 

Another day, another 2 + 6. The 2 ended up being a tempo run at about 8:15 because 1) it was cold, 2) I felt good, and 3) I was in a rush to interview a potential new instructor (we're desperate). The 6 ended up starting at 10:30 at night, but it was lovely, clear and quiet. For the 6 at 41F I wore pants, a heavy running tech sweatshirt, a hooded cotton sweatshirt, a knit cap, heavy knit gloves, and averaged 9:45/mi or so. Didn't even break a sweat. Absolute proof that I am a weather wimp.

Ex runner

Thank you Leslie.

Arla.........Big grin

hey OM

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hey kids

Good going Arla! you're almost there. You should get extra credit for running after that procedure. Nice feeling when that's in the past.

Leslie- Scary with that guy. What was he doing out that early in the morning? Nice that you have a true partnership.

Stumpy- 35 is about my cutoff for shorts, unless, as you said, it's windy or rainy. Definitely warmer than it should be so far this year.

Hi Ev! Those Cowboys are catching up. I just don't feel good about the Giants this year but neither did I last year at this time ,so we'll see.

Hey OM! Nice job on the MM status.

I've been out in the rain too. Five runs in a row off the TM, just can't take a whole lot of that . Getting it done with singles though mentally it's tough. Driving home from work thinking I'm going for a 2 hour run is daunting but once out there, it feels good. I'm down to a 7 mile daily average (94 miles) to get to 2,000 ,but banking miles to compensate for visiting over the holidays.

Sure do hope the Mayans were wrong!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM sighting!!!  I see you're now sporting an official Maniac number!

Yeah, I became a Monkey Maniac, believe it or not. A week after Harrisburg and I felt great. Even came in under five hours with all the walking I did on those hills! Now I'm just laying low, running a bit here and there... next one isn't until May so I've got time to chill... in theory...

4.5 miles today with that still-achy shin. Was supposed to be 5.25 but when the other shin started barking (it was jealous perhaps?) I decided to walk the rest of the way back to the car.

We've got a last-minute family party planned for this Sunday and I haven't ordered the food yet. Maybe I should wait until after the 21st?? Wink

Have a great day all!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

For the 6 at 41F I wore pants, a heavy running tech sweatshirt, a hooded cotton sweatshirt, a knit cap, heavy knit gloves, and averaged 9:45/mi or so. Didn't even break a sweat. Absolute proof that I am a weather wimp.

We're definitely different internal thermostats--That's single digit or below wear for me.  But not wimpy--I cannot concieve of doing the runs that you have in triple digits--I'd be a little whimpering pool of sweat.  and that's BEFORE I started.  I will say that the better shape that I get, the more heat tolerant I feel.  The feeling just never extends to running in it.Wink

had to get up early to visit a plant south of Boston this morning (I live north) and it took me alost 2 hours to go 60 miles.  I cannot conceive of driving in that every day like some folks do.  So no run today--will go to be early tonight to make sure tomorrow's happens.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - Nice! Money in the bank! You've got it in the bag!

OM - Monkey is close to a five-hour event for most of us mortals, I believe, well done! What's up with that shin?

Stumpy - Acclimation is everything. Two hours for 60 miles...OMG...isn't it great to know you don't have to deal with traffic like that every day? I grew up in LA, sure there are things I miss, but commuting in that all the time has got to take years off your life.

Yesterday was sort of a wash. Just didn't feel like it, so I didn't. Don't know why, maybe I needed a break after four 70-mile weeks in a row, and probably needed more of a break than I realized after my procudure. Looks like it's going to be close to 10 mi/day from here on in for the final push! (rolls up sleeves).

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

I had a pretty decent 6 day stretch of 29 miles concluding with a just shy of 10 LR. This week due to poor planning on my part and a mid week mini blizzard I am coming up a little short. I had a really sucky run tonight, freezing my tush off.  Hopefully tommorow I can catch up a bit as it is supposed to be warmer, 1152 degrees with falling asteroids so gonna give it a shot.

Congrrats on Maniac status there OM!

Leslie good going in all the rain and chill. That creeper guy sounds scary but I know could out run him! I feel your pain on the year-end biz. Congrats to you and Shorty for workin' it all out! Key word Work!

Hey Ev gettin' consitant there. Thinking I might need me some snowshoein' this weekend, they finally got a couple feet of white stuff in the park.

Stumpy don't envy your commute the other day. Mine is like get up, put boots, on step out door, that's it. Well some of our fields are about 8 miles away but no big deal. Only downside is sometimes it is hard to separate the two. Happy holiday miles close to home.

Arla ya I think after colonoscopy miles are worth like 2x or 3x,. Bringing it on home, ya you got it, Mile 2K coming soon!

Joe, I have trouble getting out the door for a 2hour long run once a week let alone daily,  but you're almost there.

Catch ya'all on the flipside or the other side ;-)

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III