Masters Running

Five on the Fourth (Read 163 times)

Henrun

Marj and I wanted to do a race on the fourth, so we looked at the smorgasbord of races this area has to offer. We've done a number of them in the past, so we decided on one that was in a part of the state that was scenic (and where we could possibly bike and/or swim afterwards). We picked the 38th annual Mattapoisett Road Race in the southeast corner of the state on the ocean. Of course, that required 70 miles of driving (using up that valuable expensive fuel). For a 9 a.m. start we left the house at 6:30a.m. on a rainy, cool morning. By the time we got there the rain had stopped but it remained cool and humid. We saw some Rhode Island friends and the town was was picturesque and right on the ocean. The start was on time and Marj, as usual, took off ahead of me. I felt good and ran between 10 to 11 minute miles all the way. At abut the 2nd mile I spotted someone my age (a 'ringer' from Vermont) and we ran together until about mile 3.5. He then surged ahead and I said to him, 'take the lead' which he did and finished about 30 seconds ahead of me. The course followed the coast mostly and was mostly flat. Marj had a good race finishing in 49:36 and I finished in 54:38 (the difference between us keeps growing longer). But we both finished 4/11 in our age groups. The weather was not conducive for swimming and we didn't bring our bikes. However, after we got home and rested, we biked down to the Charles to see the preparations for the Pops Concert (11 mile round trip) and topped off the day by going to a neighboring town to watch the fireworks. An exhausting but fun fourth.
      You two make a great couple! Enjoying the racing together....."enjoying" and "together" being the key words here. Smile
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Well done both of you. You always seem to find fun things to do. Sounds like a great time, and two fourth place finishes isn't bad either. Spareribs
        evanflein

I want DH and me to be like Marj and Henry when we grow up! You guys are so fun, and always find fun stuff going on. Lots of driving this time around but there do seem to be a plethora of opportunities in your area! That Marj is a speedy one...!
            hi Henrun and Marj! Thanks for sharing your wonderful time on July 4th. Congrats on your AG finishes (very respectable!). Marj you are getting faster and better all the time Big grin To paraphrase evanflein, I also wish Lew and I could be like you two.
              congrats Henry and Marj -- sounds like a wonderful way to spend the 4th!!

denise

Dave59

Sounds like a great day. How long have you been running together?

Henrun

Thanks for your kind comments. Dave, we've been running together since we married 6 years ago this past April. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
                    It's so great you have these running and biking excursions together! It sounded like a tiring day, but congrats on the 4th place finishes on the 4th!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

henrun, it sounds like a fantastic day for you and marj. You had a race in a scenic area, saw friends, both placed well in your age groups and were able to have a nice bike ride when you got home. Congratulations. TomS