Masters Running

Sorta Sunny Monday Daily 10/15 (Read 399 times)

Heh, heh, heh with a 6 hour head start not even coastwalker can get up run and back before my DW.  I got the get up part but it was up to her to do the run and back part.  She is breaking in a new pair of sneakers before the race on Sunday.  After she gets back she says she is not sure how much she likes them.  Why I ask.  She replies that she did not like running on the cobblestones.  Roll eyes  Hmm, not sure what kind of sneakers make cobblestones all that great to run on.  Maybe one with four wheels, a chassis and large engine?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Twocat, you even beat Jay today!

No run for me, just 30 minutes of weights and core.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hi TC and Holly. Jay has inspired me to start early morning running again.

New shoes prior to a race. Warning Danger WIll Robinson.

I need to start cross training like Holly and others.

5 easy miles for me today.

Make it a good one everybody.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

coastwalker

Yikes - I got three-beat today!!

Mornin' Amsterday (Twocat), Holly and C-R. I agree that there aren't shoes that could make cobblestones fun to run on. I hope the race on Sunday won't be all cobblestoned.

Before I forget--Jay--everytime you tell us about seeing a skunk, I always want to tell you that in all my life I have never seen a live skunk. I've seen plenty of dead ones on the roads and I've smelled many more, but I've never seen one.  Well, last Wednesday, I saw one!  I was running along and spotted it up ahead...he spotted me and rasied his tail...I got my tail out of there as quick as I could.  Anyway--I thought of you, right away. 

Gee, Mike - You see a skunk and think of me. Hmm...  The rest of your post yesterday was an amazing tale. It was wonderful the way everyone came together to make that man's run so special and memorable. The way this community pulls together time after time when there is a need is most impressive and gratifying.

Holly, congrats on your half marathon yesterday with the fierce winds on the way back: Not bad at all!

Bill, congrats to you on your AG hardware in the sprint-tri!

Great-looking relatives, Ribs - thanks for sharing the photo.

RCG - Veta is quite the lucky one, with a milkbone and vanilla ice cream!

WooHoo - 3rd overall, Lselie! Yoou can only race against those who show up, so congrats on your hardware!

Steve, thanks for volunteering for the Lighthouse Half - sounds like a soggy slog. I's never fun to be a volunteer at a race on a rainy day, but you know the racers appreciate all that you did to make their race as good as it could be.

Wildchild - nice extra effort to get the 22.22 Smile

We had friends over for dinner last night, and I grilled maple syrup-glazed salmon on cedar planks. Even though well-soaked, the planks got well-charred. The salmon, however, was gorgeous on the outside, and flaky and moist on the inside. Gotta love plank grilling.

SRD today, so I caught up on some reading at 4 before getting the day and the week started. So that's what it's like to just relax for a while...

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I want grilled salmon. I have the planks. I should probably start soaking them. Yum!

Great story this weekend, MikeEy!

Love the volunteering, StevieP!

63F

3.26 miles with my running buddies.  They went back and swam. I was going to run a few more miles but, it was exactly 2 weeks ago today that I wrestled with the sidewalk and lost so... My athletic trainer friend, Steve, gave me some things to do to help my shoulder along. SO. I went in to the rec. center and practiced the moves. My favorite was laying with my back on the physio ball and pushing my shoulders back into it. Hurt a little but will help prevent "frozen shoulder" syndrome.  Steve also told me NOT to do any cross body stretches. I am glad he told me this because I was going to try full range of motion movements. Steve is better than my PCP.

I hope Monday is the beginning of a great week for you all!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mariposai

Good morning Twocat! Cobblestone running is always bad. That is the type of surface I have when I visit home, not fun at all. I sure hope you guys are not running on cobblestone on Sunday.

Good morning wildchild22.22 Joking.

C_R great to see you here.

Jay, do tell me more about plank grilling. I want to expand my grilling skills.

No run this morning, but I will meet up with my friend Dr. Ute for a 3 mile walk this afternoon. I will add some core XT to that as well. Tamale pie casserole is waiting for me for dinner. Since I have a rather busy week I already have three dinners in the fridge, which makes me feel good.

Have a fun week!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Quite a weekend of races!

• Mari’s successful Autumn Leaf race (with AG hardware)!
                • Byll’s AG placement in the tri!
                • Holly’s solid HM in very tough winds!
                • Leslie’s 3rd female overall finish in a 50K!
                • Steve’s good job volunteering at a race in tough weather.

Nice to see C-R around.  Hope the new job’s good.
                RCG—are you grilling POTUS with debate questions?  Glad to hear you’re getting good training advice.

Erika—is the shin any better?

Slo—enjoy Amsterdam.  Try not to sleep through it all.

Paavo—nice wildlife on your run.  Did you ID the bird?

Stumpy—the laundry?  Seeing all the good sites, eh?

Mike—I hope you find some balance in your life.  Funny about your beer-drinking run.  Also, that’s also a poignant story about your friend running the race course.  Hope all goes well with his treatment.

Carolyn—I wouldn’t bother adding the 0.22 to my run; 22 miles is plenty long!

I saw the inquiries.  Busy weekend; sorry about leaving you hanging regarding Tribee’s race.  It was a tough one. She’s done up to 6-miles in training swims so the distance wasn’t an issue.  But she felt like her form was off because of the cold (despite having a wetsuit) and her time was quite a bit slower than usual.   Also, she cramped up upon getting out of the water, probably due to the cold.  Despite all that, she managed to snag 3rd (of 11) in her AG and thoroughly enjoyed the after-race beer garden stocked with Fat Tire. Smile

Warm and humid here today, though.  EZ5 to start the week.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

22.22!  Well done wild one.

3.5 easy this morning, now all packed and out of here soon.  Pittsburgh all week.  Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I saw the inquiries.  Busy weekend; sorry about leaving you hanging regarding Tribee’s race.  It was a tough one. She’s done up to 6-miles in training swims so the distance wasn’t an issue.  But she felt like her form was off because of the cold (despite having a wetsuit) and her time was quite a bit slower than usual.   Also, she cramped up upon getting out of the water, probably due to the cold.  Despite all that, she managed to snag 3rd (of 11) in her AG and thoroughly enjoyed the after-race beer garden stocked with Fat Tire. Smile

Hiya Sir Trampsalot!

Tell TriBee that I was thinking about her during that tri-al.
                    She was swimming in the same river as I was watching the sun rise over... (someone structure that sentence better, please) I hope the James is a bit cleaner where you all were... 

Wonderful that she placed so well in her AG!  And even better having a beer garden growing Fat Tire. I have picked a few Red Hoptober bottles from my fridge this weekend.

As for the POTUS... I must admit the interaction went this way:  We shook hands and he asked me, "How are you doing?" (with nice eye contact and he waited for my response). I said, "I am doing very well. How are you? You be well, okay?" And he replied, "Oh don't worry about me. I am well, too."

There were about 40 of us in our little area and he made a point of greeting each one of us as best he could with the little time he had. The other members of the group were invited guests, either family members of the Secret Service or public servants. I had been asked to volunteer by the campaign. There were two of us in this role. The other lady helped with checking guests in. I was sent out to greet cars and help them with parking. And then, I was asked to come inside and help move the crowd to where they would wait. I got to stand near a member of the president's detail. He was really nice in a dark- suit- with- an- ear- piece- and- curly- cord- attached sort of way. He did initiate conversation with me which made me feel like I was more important than I am. (ha ha)
                    I thought I would just leave after everyone was checked in and ushered to their places but, then the HQ guy said, "You are very good in your role. Would you like to watch AF 1 land and meet the president?" No words. Just wide eyes and a grateful nod.

I won the Trifecta on Saturday: 1.most excellent 13.12 training run 2. shaking hands with the POTUS and 3. soundly winning at Saturday evening's bridge matches.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Congrtulations TriBee!!

Yay for Buehrle's trifecta!

(okay, back to work)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey folks, just a quick pop-in to say hi and congrats to all (you know who you are)... and if you have a moment, check out Google's search page today, very cool stuff!

Only one fall during my 20-miler yesterday, wrist splint broke my fall so my hand is actually feeling quite good today. Still waiting on the results of my MRI... ok, 20 days to NYC and counting!

Smile

I grilled maple syrup-glazed salmon

I read this as "maple syrup-lizard" at first.  What?!?  "Maple syrup-glazed salmon" sounds a lot better. Smile

Tramps - Thanks for the kudos re 3rd female, but there were only 3 women out of 14 running the 50k.  That's fine by me!  I've never placed in any event before, except last. Big grin

Rest day for me.  The quads are still tired, but overall I feel good.  I have a nice 6 week rest ahead of me before beginning to gear up for next season.  I intend to take full advantage of it!

Have a good day ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

5 miles easy just now, sunny and 78.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I read this as "maple syrup-lizard" at first. 

...well,

the month does have an ''R'' in it.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I decided a few weeks ago to scrap the Lighthouse Half-Marathon and based on the weather, Steve's description, and the finish line photos I reviewed, it wasn't a bad decision.  I started having stomach issues again which cut into my training a lot, and then this weekend turned out to be the best time for Cindy and I to go to Green Bay to visit our daughter.  (She graduated last spring and is working there.  Her boyfriend was there for the summer and had to go back for one last semester, so she is living on her own for a while.  It's good for her.)

Talk about rain.  Wisconsin got a deluge. But we had a good time.  Saw some sites like the National Railroad Museum.  Had some good meals.  One at the Titletown Brewery.  And we went shopping to get stuff for the apartment (bar stools and odds and ends.)

We took the car ferry (S.S. Badger) over and back.  Coming over it was a rolling ride, but going back it was rocking and rolling.  Some sick people on board.  Didn't bother me fortunately, except that I couldn't read and I really enjoy just kicking back and finishing a book or two along the way.  The wind was so strong at the end that the ship blew sideways trying to back into the dock.  It took them 2+ hours to pull it straight and get us unloaded.  We also had delays at start and end for the loading and unloading of wind mill tower pieces.  So a 4-hour trip took about 8 hours.

Still I would take that over an 8 hour drive in the wind and rain any day.

After about a week off I tried a little 3-mile run this afternoon.  Still not feeling too good but I need to just press on and quit being such a weenie.