Masters Running

Wednesday May 28 Daily - Luck of the Irish to All (Read 462 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

PDR, hugs to your dear-old-dad! That's good news indeed. I helped DH hang drywall in his shop addition most of the day, but afterward got out for 6 miles around my hilly neighborhood. The first three miles were with the dogs, then 3 more without them. Average pace about 11:00 - a bit slower with the dogs, then a bit quicker on my own. They were kind of acting like anchors on the way home - I think they were hot and tired.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I think ChiRunning is getting a bad rap here. If you look at the pictures in his book, they look exactly like how Tall is running. I would call that a lean. Others would call it straight, being pulled up by strings. Whatever you call it, it looks like the most natural, efficient running posture. No, you are not completely vertical, nor should you be straining forward. He (Danny?) is against people doing power running, using a long reaching stride with a lot of pull in the beginning of the stride (sprinting form). I have honestly only ever seen a couple of people running this way, and they look uncomfortably vertical. One of the things my sister noticed (not a runner) when we walked around Stanley park, was that every runner has a slightly different form, usually the way the arms are swinging being the most obvious difference. She would ask me after they passed what I thought of that particular form. Not being an expert, I just said, I hope someday I don't have to watch a video of myself running!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Famous People in South Dakota alert!!! Running CLub night, ran a fast 4 (sub 8s) then headed over to Memorial Park (on our regular route) to listen to Sen. Clinton. I know little of running form, but I have to say, Joanie Benoit ran a sub 3 at the Trials in April, and her form was not what I would call elegant...which heartened me, as I am not the Ginger Rogers of form, myself! grins, A ps: I am tired of being cold and the Sox losing, I just need to say.
        Masters 2000 miles
          Sneaking in late as I haven't posted much lately. Memorial Day weekend I got to run along the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh and took in a Cubs game at PNC Park. A much needed get away. Getting ready for tomorrow nights JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge. We have 30 people from our school participating (the power of peer pressure). I did a nice relaxed 6 miles in 46:00 so I think I am ready. At first glance I thought Spareribs was fishing for strippers, but upon further inspection I am relieved to see it is stripers. Tongue