Masters Running

Thu Mar 20 Runs and Workouts (Read 641 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm 18 something-or-other (wrote it down at work), but I don't really know what being in Corral 18 means. Do they line us up along a really long street?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bib number #11548....one of my running pals at home said wave 1 goes up through 13,000 or something. Who knows!? Happy Norooz/Nowruz Soundrunner! My friend Mahnaz is hosting a Norooz dinner this weekend (an annual and delicious occasion) at her home. Can't wait. Holly, I haven't run Boston since they implemented the wave start, but the corrals used to line up on a portion of a street and then up around the corner. Flying home soon! Smile CNY
        wow - you guys are doing great getting ready for Boston!! so exciting - makes me wish i was running it!! i did get my volunteer letter for the packet stuffing the weekend before tho - now waiting to make sure they have me as a volunteer in the medical tent as well - definitely want to be part of race day!! holly the line up is down a very long street and they have "human chains" separting the corrals - a lot of people in the running group i belong to are part of the human chains!! 2 years ago wave 1 was numbers under 11000 but that could definitely have changed thursday - went to gym right from work this morning - thought about running outside for the first day of spring but it was grey and drizzly here and i just didnt have the energy for the weather after working all night 6.6 miles treadmill

denise

Hey Boomers. Healing vibes to Steve, and I could use a few of those this evening myself. Just found out that my son has flunked out of his second college in less than a year, and my oldest son has decided to postpone his upcoming wedding in June because of "doubts." Do you ever wonder where you went wrong as a parent? I'm feeling like I should have stayed single. Jeanne
            Hey Boomers. Healing vibes to Steve, and I could use a few of those this evening myself. Just found out that my son has flunked out of his second college in less than a year, and my oldest son has decided to postpone his upcoming wedding in June because of "doubts." Do you ever wonder where you went wrong as a parent? I'm feeling like I should have stayed single. Jeanne
            {{{Jeanne}}}, I'm sorry you're going through alot right now. Hang in there. Btb, airplane rage!!! What's wrong with people? Happy Norooz Soundie! No running for me today, just XT. I feel wonderful and wish I could put that feeling in a bottle and give it away to all of you out there who are hurting, healing, just having a tough workout or day or time.
            btb1490

Good evening everyone! Late post for me, so for those that stick around and read... Teresa- Good for your dad, for still getting around like that! Awesome! Make the wind your friend. Use it to your advantage by turning your run into a strength workout by heading into it first, then rewarding yourself with a nice tailwind home. Craneium- Gotta love that tube of torture. I know I'd be lost without mine. Thanks for posting that quote for us, very well said. Nice speedy run you had! SueT- Jesse is back to school again, eh? Better luck this time! That was a shame about what happened in Sarasota. Last I heard, it was accidental. Did your article say anything otherwise? PDR- You are amazing with your's and WRFB's early rising. I am very impressed. Looking at your training log, you've really been very consistent with your runs, and are bound to be tired. With a good taper, all this hard work will really kick in come race day. You'll see. Don't all small children have rocks in their pockets anyway? Seems they all collect "treasures" as they go along and stuff them into their pockets. And please don't say I'm very nice, you haven't met me yet. I'm sure your perspective will change when you do. Jlynne- I'm amazed at your rope jumping after you run. I on the other hand would probably lay down on the garage floor. Nice run and nice running conditions you had. Holly- that's why I'm taking the train to Boston. Smile TomS- thanks for all your support of everyone here. Sorry about your tough run today, they happen. Experienced as you are, you know you'll bounce back soon enough. Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield. Ilene- Boston is gonna be more than ok, with your there. It'll probably never be the same in fact. Smile evanflein- You and Holly should do as you suggest at Boston! That would be so much fun! Not sure if you've run Boston before, but the corral system works very well there, and you won't feel like you are boxed in at all, unless you plan on running a lot faster than your qualifying time. Your hotel treadmill experience sounds awful! You might as well have done your workout in a bar, at least you would've had a beer waiting for you at the end. I hope your flight home was uneventful, it sounds like you can't wait to get out of there. SteveP- Great picture! Perfect! fussyrunner- you crazy woman... sleeping till 7am! Woohoo! Poor attendant at the airport, I'm thinking they need to start arming these people with stun guns. Dave- if the cats gang up on you and start stealing your donuts, then you better start worrying. BCMorant- I wonder what you were saying in your head as your coach yelled at you to pick it up... enke- you hit the nail on the head with what happened on the plane. And one person just fed off the other. I'm sorry, I know you had a crappy night, but I had to laugh when reading about it because of being able to identify with it all. Plus what breger said. Plus what Holly said. I hope your TM run tonight goes as well as possible. vista- I hope your brother's incident is just maybe related to his heart condtion and it temporary, and not a stroke. That doesn't sound like something that should be treated in a clinic, you are so right. All the best to him, and please keep the updates coming. We're all pulling for him and for you. Soundrunner- omid va:ræm ha:letu:n khu:b ba:sheh and the same to your son. I hope I said that right, and don't even think about asking me to pronounce it! :P Aamos- Speedy run! And I'm glad your ankle is behaving! Thanks for the update. steveP- extra GOOD attention, or extra BAD attention from the teachers? Wink A lot of mixed emotions going on in your post. Hang in there Steve... rochrunner- thanks for the photo. Nice looking bunch. TomS- thanks for the kick in the pants not to be stubborn about our health. I'm sorry about your friend. Sad dtoce- so after an awesome workout like that, how are you feeling about Boston these days? PJH- great Boston workout!!! You will be awesome on April 21st. Keep up the great work! Tammy- I wish you'd post more about your workouts. You are doing very well. Good luck with your 18 this weekend, avoid the treadmill! JJJ- nice recovery day after your awesome run/bike combo the other day. Holly- the corral system at Boston is impressive. It goes on forever... but it works very well, you are usually up to speed in no time. deez4boyz thank you for your volunteer work! Smile CNY- safe and uneventful travels to you. Jeanne- at your kids ages, they need to take responsibilities for themselves. Regard your son's postponement of his wedding, I thought that took guts, rather than blindly going ahead with something you are sure of. I'll bet he got that wisdom from you. Don't be so hard on yourself. dromedary- I guess having droopy shorts is the secret to feeling wonderful? Smile I have to give equal time to something wonderful that took place during my flight yesterday. I sat next to a very nice woman who was on her way home from a dream come true trip to China, something she always wanted to do. While there, she got news of a terrible family tragedy, and had to cut her trip short. She was at the tail end of 30 hours of travelling, including flights and layovers. She was to get home from the airport in Atlanta via a shuttle, the last one was to leave at 9pm. She missed it due to the delays. If ANYONE deserved to be cranky and upset on this flight, it was her. I was just incredulous at how she handled everything, not getting the least bit upset at all. As Holly mentioned, there was nothing that could be done about the situation. She said "I'll get home eventually, somehow." I offered a ride to her, but she refused, saying should had a lot of friends who would help her out. I could see why she had a lot of friend, she was a remarkable woman, and I knew she'd be in good hands. Having the fortune of meeting her and getting to spend time with an amazing person more than made up for the other stuff that went on. I ran 10 miles this evening, under wonderfully sunny Georgia skies. The schedule only called for 6 miles, but I said screw it and kept going, it was one of those runs you didn't want to end. It must be something in the Geogia air. I'm sure it'll come back and bite me in the arse tomorrow though. Hey, all you posters that have been MIA the past few days.... you know who you are. Get typing! I sincerely hope everyone had a great day and a good evening. Smile

I Can Go The Distance

BCMorant- I wonder what you were saying in your head as your coach yelled at you to pick it up... BTB, I don't say those kind of things out loud or write them either! I must say though he was a great coach and I don't think I would be running today if it had not been for him. When he had us doing those tough workouts we hated him, but when we won cross-country and track meets, it was worth it. Sometimes when I feel like cutting a workout short or stopping in a race, I can hear him say "stay tough." Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

happy vernal equinox to all! btb--while not a road warrior in the class of Spareribs and others, I've been taking at least a dozen trips a year. I don't completely understand the animosity some people have towards the airlines and their employees. I don't believe that yelling at the gate agent ever made the plane get fixed, the weather cleared up, or get them home any sooner. Yes, we all want to get home as soon as possible, but can't imagine any of those folks had something that critical that would come close to justifying that behavior. I find it much less stressful to be pleasant to the airlines folks. jeanne--I know the feeling, but don't give up on your parenting yet. part of it is letting your kids find out things for themselves (although 2 schools would make you grind your teeth at the very least Roll eyes ) and I think putting off a marriage due to doubts is a better strategy than going through with it because all the plans and made and being miserable. Our son quit after his first year because he didn't know what he wanted to do. and while we certainly hope he finds something he wants to study, he's (relatively) happily working and slowly learning the life of a grownup. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

As Tevye said in Fiddler On The Roof... "If growing up were easy, would it take so long?" Take heart in knowing that just when you are afraid you're gonna kill them, you wake up one day and realize they turned out pretty well. (at least that's what my mom has been known to say...) Back home, good trip overall, flight home was actually early! I switched my Friday rest day over to Thursday cuz it was obvious a run was not going to happen. So I took the dog for a walk tonight...she just loves that. For being the first day of spring, I just about froze! Chilly wind and my legs are still cold.