Masters Running

Saturday, Saturday! The 3.29.14 Daily (Read 44 times)

The Newton fire station, where you turn onto Commonwealth, had 2 boots out where they were collecting for the Boston firefighters family. For the non-locals, the two firefighters who died were from the station on Boylston and Hereford. I didn't know it was going to be there, but always run with a few dollars, so I threw them in.  There were tens and twentys - I'm not sure if runners knew in advance and carried that much money or what.  the generousness (word?) carried me up the hills.

marj

I saw a FB post about this yesterday -- hope they have the boots out tomorrow as well.....I'll remember to run with $$ - just hope it wont get too soggy!!

denise

NHLA

5 miles 53 min Estatoe Trail. Cold hard rain. 60 mph winds tonight.

dave good news

evanflein

That distance feels like a dash to me where I am in immediate oxygen debt in mile one, holding on by fingernails in mile two, and then pumping my arms like mad in a futile attempt to make the legs go in mile three. I am going to run watch-less and just run like heck and hope for the best. 

Yeah, that's usually my 5k strategy as well. I have one coming up in early May that I told myself earlier I'd actually train for. Ha. Not likely....

Tomwhite, that clip reminds me of some of our heath committee meetings. Although they don't usually turn out so well.

Good luck to our racers! It's been so long since I've run a race I hardly remember how it feels. Sort of living vicariously through our Boston group lately, and looking forward to the day we get to pretend to work while watching the progress of all our frens!

Twocat, I hear ya, and yes it's all relative. It has been fun to see some of you guys say how it's nice to get out in short, capris, etc in temps you'd hardly venture out in last year. That's like what we say around here: 20° sure feels a lot better on the way up than on the way down!

Another sunny day in the upper 30's here! I'm going to do some home-care stuff while DH does errands, then I'll go for my run when he's watching AZ play. Grilled beer-can chicken for dinner and maybe a glass of wine out at the picnic table! Just gotta wear a jacket....

New skirt in town

Marj...there were some notices out last night asking runners to bring money to make the donation for the fallen firefighters.  I posted it and asked others to spread the word.  I pulled out a soggy $20 from my tights' pocket, and apologized to the firefighter who was manning the station. We had actually made friends with him on several previous weeks:  he is also training for Boston and is out there setting up the hydration station every week in front of the fire station.  Anyway, he said it was fine, that all of the bills were soggy, so I just tossed it in the boot and continued on!

I'm really glad that I saw Henry at about Mile 17 of my 18-miler today. He was gallant enough to pull me up Heartbreak Hill.

I don't know if anyone else on the course noted the daffodil beds that are starting to sprout.  One of my Melanoma Foundation of New England team members told us yesterday about this Marathon Daffodils Project, designed to bring the color of Hope to the course for runners and spectators alike in the wake of last year's events.  She planted some of the hundreds of thousands of bulbs that were planted last fall!  What a joy to see them coming up, and what a joy it will be to see them in bloom on Marathon Monday!

There's Still Hope for the "Marathon Daffodil" Project 

Some photos from today's run:

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

roch, "hi".  Nice 5K with 3rd in AG.  ribs, good job in your 10K with 2nd in AG.  Dave, congrats to your daughter on becoming full time.

Nice long runs for CNY, marj, C-R, and DrRobin (with neat pictures).

This morning, it was about 30° and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:38 pace.  It was extra hard and I took a couple of walk breaks.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, his college counselor mentioned to us the other day that the University of Dayton is a fine school, but I'm sure your son won't want to be so close.

Actually, DS would be okay with being close. He is at heart rather introverted, by which I mean he does well in social situations, and is quite talkative and animated, but then loves to retire to his quiet space afterward.  I know he would enjoy being able to get away from the busy college life for a quiet afternoon on occasion, if allowed.  We will likely apply to UD, just to see if there is an affordable option.  Go Flyers!

Dave - good news on the tests. I agree that stress can take a toll, though.

Robin - great pics!

No run for me, no workout, nada.  I am actually supposed to be tapering (as if I really had anything to taper FROM...), but mostly I was feeling the effects of overindulgence at a party last night, and also did my LR yesterday, so didn't really need to run today.  I spent the day running errands and cooking instead.

Family movie night tonight: Catching Fire.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Karin--my 5k's are just like yours.  One of these days I would like to actually train for a 5k.  I have never trained for any distance other than a marathon.  I suspect it would involve a whole lot of pain, though, so maybe not.

I think it so cool how Boston area runners are able to run the Boston course and have all the support they get.  Is there any other city that embraces their marathon like Boston does...no.

I have been tempted to start the Boston Marathon Party Thread because I really enjoy reading about everybody's plans.  I really appreciate you all sharing the whole event with the rest of us.  It really is a fun time.  I hope my boss stays out of the office so I can follow along.

Okay, what is going on in here, today.   Oh--enke--your date/non-date.   Was he going to run with you but cancelled out because of the rain?  And then you went and ran in the rain anyway?

Cool pictures, Robin.

Hey, I wonder how wild did in her 50k.  That is really unbelievable.  A couple years ago she had never done a marathon and now she's doing her...what...18th?  And half of them have been ultras, haven't they?  She's going to hit 50 before I do...and I'm at 43.

Good luck, tomorrow, Jay in your half.  I don't remember if you told us--do they have a racewalking division in this one.  I'll bet you pass up tons of runners in a longer distance like this one, don't you?

I did a 16 miler in 1:55:23.  I had the same SSE wind that I had on Wednesday when I did my tempo run...except it was only 10 mph, today.  It was 39 and sunny and I was tempted to run in shorts but I went with the pants...and I was glad I did.

Okay, I just polished off 3/4 of a pizza and I have to get things cleaned up before DW gets home.  See ya!

Oh!  IBUB--have fun at Knoxville, tomorrow!  That was a fun one for me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

in case anyone <<<(that would be mariposai)>>> still thinks that it was raining

where they were running yesterday as much as it rains in Seattle,

not yesterday, that's for sure:

================================================

Weather Record Report  Statement as of 1:30 am PDT on March 29, 2014

Record daily maximum rainfall set at Seattle-Tacoma Airport yesterday...
                  Record rainfall of 0.87 inches was set at Seattle-Tacoma Airport on Mar 28th.

This breaks the old record of 0.53 set in 1963.
                  (note: it usually rains more in downtown Seattle next to Elliott Bay than at the airport)

Seattle Rain March 2014 - Seattle Weather Blog

www.seattleweatherblog.com/tag/seattle-rain-march-2014/

6 hours ago ... March 2014: Seattle's Wettest March Ever ...Into the history books we go. . . For the umpteenth time this month, heavy rain is battering Seattle, with over half an inch falling this morning to reach 8.46 inches for the month, the wettest recorded March rainfall since 1891.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Good luck with the college election, Holly.

I think Robin is so lucky to have met up with Henrun. Lucky girl, she is.

Denise, have fun on your long run tomorrow, rain or not.

Erika, enjoy your dinner on the deck. I was planning one as well, but the rain and hail storm showed up right about dinner time.

Today I had a leadership training seminar from 10a to 2p. So I woke up at 4:30 to go out for my 20 miler by 5am....well, it was more like 5:20 by the time I left the house. Run was good, legs were tired since I ran some tempo miles last night. The run would have been lonely without my RP's company for 10 miles.

It is so fun to see the Boston runners gearing up for their race!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ha! I wish... no dinner on the deck, I must say. But DH did grill two beer can chickens (aka "beer butt chickens") out on the charcoal grill and they were ready when I got home. So they "rested" while I made a mushroom risotto and grilled asparagus and baby peppers for a really yummy dinner. The only downside to dinner is DH burned his finger badly out there, ouch...it's pretty bad. But we have two quart-sized bags of cut up chicken in the freezer, and an extra cup or so for lunches. And two more whole chickens in the fridge. I love when Fred Meyer has specials on whole chickens!!

So... had one of those runs today where I said "just go easy, don't push the pace." And pretty much that's what I did. A 4.5 mile out-and-back, with a gentle uphill trend (with a hill at the end) on the way out, and the reverse on the way back. Turned around at about 4 1/2 miles (when I got tired of running up the hill I was on). 9.2 miles with 8:20's on the way out, and 8's on the way back. Faster than planned, but didn't push the pace. This run felt so good... All my runs this week have felt good. And I guess that's a good thing I have a cut back week planned next week since it'll cool off, we'll get snow, and I leave Saturday at 1 a.m. (ugh) for Memphis. Lovely. But, this was a good run, and I just need 12 or so tomorrow for a 50+ mile week again. Yay!