Masters Running

Monday July 22 Daily (Read 53 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

I’m starting a Pfitz cycle (for Richmond) and he had me doing striders today for 8 miles.  Temps have moderated a bit, which was nice.

My iPod served up the Clash cover of the old Equals song, “Police on my Back,” which I realized could be the basis for a fine felony training plan.

Running Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    Saturday Sunday
    What have I done?

Yes, I'm running down the railway track
    Could you help me? Police on my back
    They will catch me if I dare drop back
    Wont you give me all the speed I lack

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

I have a step-nephew that could relate to that Tramps! Any way an easy 3 miler this morning for me as I'm trying to convert to a.m. running!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No running for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

And on into my Terrifying Monday.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Good Morning!

No running for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

And on into my Terrifying Monday.....

DItto.  Except I hope to get in 45-50 minutes of free weights and core this afternoon [late lunch].

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

Karin, I think they both broke 25 hours, but I am not sure of their times.  They did Western States a few weeks ago and the plan is to do 4 of these 100 milers, and this was their second leg.  Their wives crewed for them and the two couples are just lovely. Congrats to Amy and good work on your 22miler. Heck of a workout for you too.

Ek and Mariposai, I can't tell you how many people over the years have raved about the Nike Pegasus.  It is a relatively inexpensive shoe, but reliable as can be and worn by jillions of runners. I had a pair or two myself many years ago.  It's a good choice.

Really struggling with allergies, but not a lot I can do about it.  Pushed through 6.5 miles this morning at the park, again running alone.  My RP's husband is now off to CA for the Cowboys training camp, which means she remains in FL at the beach, so I continue with no one to run with. I told him last month if he is going to stash her away in FL for the whole summer he's going to have to run the plans by me next year.  The nerve.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Tramps, is this the first time you are using Pfitz? MikeE has me pondering about exploring new training plans for my next marathon, something about not doing the same old same old thing. I like variety.

Twocat, RE: not seeing the pond on Rock Creek. I park the car waiting for you about 30 meters from the little pond Roll eyes.

Hi shadow runner and runr-nut.

Well, I woke up at 5 today and itching for a run, so running I did Smile. 6 easy flowing miles, five with my running buddie.

I hope your Monday started off as well as it did mine. Enjoy the gift!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Pretty funny Tramps.

I have been thinking about those 100 mile race reports we got in over the weekend as well as some of the FB pictures I have seen.  This fall I am once again doing a 200 mile relay race with a team of 12.  That means spending most of the race driving comfortably, in a fashion, inside a van.  Now imagine this, conversation:

Amy:  Hey Francesca I have been thinking about running that New Hampshire relay race.  But getting a team together and then renting and decorating a van is such a hassle.

Francesca:  Yea, I know what you mean.  Who needs all that.

Amy:  Well I got an idea.  How about the two of us team up?

Francesca:  What about all that hassle thing?

Amy:  No, no.  Just the two of us.  It will be a snap.  With just the two of us we can load everything into the car, so no van to rent.  I will run the first 100 miles and you can run the second.  No team to acquire, no van, no nothing but us!  See how easy!

Francesca:  Wow, I am surprised I never thought of that!  Great idea.  See you in New Hampshire!

As for me I ran 19 miles today, a half dozen with my old training partner, and I am more than happy to report I have no intention of running another 80 any time today, tomorrow or even this entire week!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I've been AWOL for a few days. Thurs, Fri, and Sun, I worked at the semiannual running store sale at the same store in Lansing I've mentioned the three other times I've done so.  Sat, I did an 8K race at the tip of the "thumb" of MI.  I won't try to catch up and will just report in.

Every time I've worked the sale, I've been amazed and have reported some statistics.  I'll do so again.  They supplemented their normal full and part time staff of about 80 with something like 210 temporary people for the sale.  They expected the first day to be the busiest and the busiest time about 10 am.  At that time, there were 140 employees working and we were kept busy. One of  their goals for the sale was to sell over 15,000 pairs of shoes.  I never heard a final tally, but, the first day they sold over 6,000 along with a lot of clothing and other stuff.  One of the things they do during the summer sale is have mini ice cream bars for the customers (for the winter sale, it's fresh baked cookies).  They had ordered 13,000 ice cream bars.  The owners are upbeat and cheerful and promote the same in the staff.  The atmosphere is almost festive.  Their sale prices are  very good.  For example, Brooks Adrenaline's and Asics 2170's went for $82.  As in other sales, I was busy but thoroughly enjoyed interacting with so many runners.

The race on Sat was a small 8K  (46 runners) that I've done every year starting in  2001.  They also had a 2 mile run and walk.  The total number of participants was 178.  I didn't see as many of my running friends as I expected but still saw about 10.  The temp was in the low to mid 70s, it was almost calm, and there was some humidity.  It was warm, especially in the middle few miles that were in areas with no shade so the bright sun made it feel especially warm.  I was a bit tired and my legs were a little sore from being on my feet the previous two days at the sale.  I started at the very back and poked along but still passed 7 people.  I finished in just under 50 minutes with a 10:01 pace.  I was the oldest in the 8K by 10 years so got the 60+ AG win by default.  There were several people older than me in the two mile event.  There was an 81 year old runner and an 82 and a 93 year old walker.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

I feel for your allergies Ribs.

Two Cat Big grin

Avenger Doggie and I came off of a hiatus. We've been running, except for last week. Our computer finally gave up the ghost and I've been keeping track of friends and family via FB. We did a little 4th of July 4K and took 3rd AG. As we finished in 21:39, I'm sure we could have taken at least 2nd if he'd hit the porta johns before the events.

Anyway, today we hit a nice, pleasant little section of trail designed by a sadist and measured  by a very knowledgeable crack head. It's listed on the North Country Trail's site as 3 miles. Uh huh. I plotted it on Map My Run and came up closer to 4.1 miles. This time of year, I like this route because it has several streams we cross and Tag can hydrate as desired. It's mostly shaded and has a few valleys where it's much cooler than the higher elevations.

I had a Dr appointment. The first one since the Dr freaked out and had me admitted to the ER last winter. She said that she went over my EKG and Stress test results and that I'm in marvelous shape. "Very phenomenal. Especially for your age". I hope a house falls on her. Anyway, she scheduled my very first colonoscopy. So I'm asking for advice:

As the date for my very first colonoscopy ever is getting nearer, 
                    I'm asking what delights could discovered be in my rear.
                    After the pre day meds do their duty.
                    I wonder what could be found in my patootie.
                    The night before, what could I swallow?
                    So far this is the route my mind did follow.
                    Several glass eyes and those wind up teeth that clatter.
                    (My wife says my mind has ill grey matter.)
                    Thanks to a co-worker, there could be an unusual thing:
                    The name "Jimmy Hoffa" inscribed on a ring.
                    That's all I've got, now you have a clue.
                    What I'd swallow next is all up to you.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I don't know you.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

I don't know you.

Big grin

Try a light bulb.  You don't swallow it . . . . .

I'm gonna have to back and read what's been going on because I am woefully behind (as is the norm these days).  I read "100 mile reports" and started salivating . . .

I got 15 tired legged miles in on Saturday.  Wednesday's bike/hike/run kicked my rear a bit.  Unfortunately, where I run extended miles at the McKay Tract, Green Diamond has gone back in and busted in the logging roads again for over a mile of what was a really pretty section and they've been logging for the last three weeks.  I don't have a problem with the logging - it's their property.  But shoot, that sure was a pretty section.  They were trucking logs in and out on Saturday, so I stopped and asked if I could continue to run.  Yeah, just listen for the trucks.  They're coming through about every 15-20 minutes.  I only had to get out of the way for 3 (2 coming in, 1 going out), so it wasn't bad.  And yes, I stepped WAY off the road.  But I probably should find someplace else for awhile.  Shoot.

Today I started my  new job.  It's a weird feeling not knowing what you're doing.  My first task is to go through the large number of files that have been stuffed on the shelves and see what my predecessor did with them.  LOTS of filing that wasn't kept up for months on end.  This place is a frigging disorganized mess.  Hopefully I can inject some semblance of organization, but it's gonna take awhile. Undecided

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Pretty funny Tramps.

I have been thinking about those 100 mile race reports we got in over the weekend as well as some of the FB pictures I have seen.  This fall I am once again doing a 200 mile relay race with a team of 12.  That means spending most of the race driving comfortably, in a fashion, inside a van.  Now imagine this, conversation:

Amy:  Hey Francesca I have been thinking about running that New Hampshire relay race.  But getting a team together and then renting and decorating a van is such a hassle.

Francesca:  Yea, I know what you mean.  Who needs all that.

Amy:  Well I got an idea.  How about the two of us team up?

Francesca:  What about all that hassle thing?

Amy:  No, no.  Just the two of us.  It will be a snap.  With just the two of us we can load everything into the car, so no van to rent.  I will run the first 100 miles and you can run the second.  No team to acquire, no van, no nothing but us!  See how easy!

Francesca:  Wow, I am surprised I never thought of that!  Great idea.  See you in New Hampshire!

As for me I ran 19 miles today, a half dozen with my old training partner, and I am more than happy to report I have no intention of running another 80 any time today, tomorrow or even this entire week!

..now don't go put  ideas into my head....Smile   the day after the race is when I tend to sign up for the next one..

SteveP

Big grin

Try a light bulb.  You don't swallow it . . . . .

That's just weird.

Congrats on the job. When inheriting a disaster, you can only shine.

SteveP

Snork Twocat! Awesome and yes, I can imagine that conversation! Congrats Francesca!  You are Amazing!

Not sure if y'all can see the photos in this link----should be public:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=674925836205&set=a.674925297285.1073741829.15401634&type=1&theater

We had a blast!

Four of my teammates raced at the US Mountain championships at Mt. Cranmore in NH on Sunday and won the women's open division-----by 26 minutes! They ran in a pack and finished 18, 19, 20 and 24-----a National title for the Western Mass Distance Project! roar.

You had me at 13,000 ice cream sandwiches Tom!

Hurray for fantastic shape Steve.....phew!

Good running for your friends Ribs!

I ran an easy 5 miles in Burlington VT this morning---bike path by the lake. I was there for a conference speaking gig and got home in time for dinner. hurray.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Yeah--this no running plan stinks!  I don't remember the last time I went two weeks without running when I wasn't recovering from an injury.  But--rest is part of training...isn't it?

Hey!  Guess who my newest Facebook friend is...you're all going to think I'm a dope...but go ahead--guess...okay, I'll tell ya...Lydon and Natasha Murtha!  Yep...I'm a dope...

Okay--gotta go!