Masters Running

Evryday's subject of the day (Read 552 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm thankful I just saw that picture.... Hey Mary, when ya dump'n the old man...I know this good guy named Tim... Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

jfa

I'm thankful for that picture and for Evryday starting this thread. He's a really cool cat, even though he's a Cowboy fan ! Tongue

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Embarrassed

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

I'm thankful Mr Nonoruns isn't in India like he was 2 years ago at this time. Not that he gets to stay in luxury hotels, but still. Horrible day in Mumbai. Cry N

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

xor

A community of people has a set of written and unwritten rules regarding things that are allowed and not allowed in communication. I have to say that I've not been able to quite crack the signals w/ Boomers over the last 5-6 years. Then again, I also must admit that I haven't tried that hard either Smile. Many people in this group (maybe and maybe not why this thread was started) seem to go by an advanced version of what the coolrunning clubhouse called 'caito's rule': ignore the person being abrasive... do not engage that person because it won't do any good AND upsets the apple cart (the overall harmony of the group). I see a couple side effects of this behavior: 1. Although theoretically intended to be a signal to the offender that no one is interested in her/his oafishness, that signal is wholly missed or misread. Instead, the lack of clear, opposing feedback serves to reinforce the abrasive behavior as a tolerable thing. 2. Those who do not abide by the rule try to speak up and are told to pipe down either directly ("we're past this already!") or indirectly (such as the creation of a new thread about people dancing with themselves). Anyway. Everyone's level of tolerance is different. If it is ok for an abrasive person to go on and on and on and on and on and on day in and day out, it seems to me that it should be equally ok to disagree. And, yes, some people will go away in the process. How many is tough to determine. And it should be pointed out that a whole lot MORE people would go away if threads just devolved into YOU SUCK, NO YOU SUCK fights. I just think there should be a middle ground. People should be respectful of each other. Respectful disagreement should be allowed. Everyone is allowed his/her opinion, even (especially) when it doesn't match the majority. It should be ok to state this different opinion when stated respectfully. It might seem that I'm trying to give the abrasive personality a bit of a forum. I am. Respectfully. But what I'm really doing is saying that those who disagree with the abrasive personality should ALSO have a forum to do so. I hate YOU SUCK fights. But I think NOT speaking up makes the community very Stepford Wives-y. "Choosing one's battles" is important. But everybody has different hot buttons and (mixed metaphor) priorities in how they choose battles. And with that, this outsider has said what he wanted to say, even though he's not sure what this thread was originally intended to be. It may not seem so, but I (and lots of us) do a whole lot of ignoring. But it's kind of like mowing the grass. It only gets noticed when it doesn't happen. Kisses and hugs, boomers.

xor

Actually, I really should have closed that post thusly: You stay classy, San Diego.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks Robert. Me too. Of course we're both outside the official definition of boomers anyway.
                I have to say that I've not been able to quite crack the signals w/ Boomers over the last 5-6 years.
                However, I understand enough to know that hopeful + econo = boomer heaven. ps - are you going to get back from Atlanta in time for any of the three Seattle area marathons this weekend?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bingo! A very insightful post and nicely said SR. Thanks for that. MTA...I love the way the post took on a life of it's own! Maybe we should do more dancing....
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  xor

I will be at the regular Seattle Marathon. Instead of doing Ghost this year, I'll be doing the new 5k associated with the marathon (on the skinny bike path in Myrtle Edwards park, I could regret that decision). Not doing the wishbone thingy; not enough time. Interesting that the one person who could turn this weekend into this year's quadzilla has decided not to. I should really have a talk with that boy. He ain't right.

2. Those who do not abide by the rule try to speak up and are told to pipe down either directly ("we're past this already!") or indirectly (such as the creation of a new thread about people dancing with themselves).
                      SR, this statement caused me to see how some may think I was tying to get folks to indirectly pipe down. I apologize for that. That is not my intention. Although, I admit, I did cringe a few times as admonishments were made, thinking, OK here it comes again. With that said, I do applaud the efforts made. I think I was trying to get that whole feeling off my chest by making what I thought to be a light hearted poke at the issue...albeit in a somewhat cryptic way. I try to keep my ego where I feel mine should be and that is nowhere to be seen. But sometimes...well, you know.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        I have to say that I've not been able to quite crack the signals w/ Boomers over the last 5-6 years. Then again, I also must admit that I haven't tried that hard either Smile. But what I'm really doing is saying that those who disagree with the abrasive personality should ALSO have a forum to do so. I hate YOU SUCK fights. But I think NOT speaking up makes the community very Stepford Wives-y.
                        Firstly, you can crack the code. I did. It took awhile, absolutely. There were back then a lot of secret phrases that meant nothing to me...it was like studying some ancient language. I think it is a lot better than it used to be. More inclusive. Less cryptic language. Secondly, this is not the clubhouse. I lurked there for awhile so I know what it was like....this is totally different. Thirdly, you probably missed the last episode this group had with an "abrasive" personality, a few weeks or maybe months ago I think it was. Speaking out, and many people did, did not bring any kind of resolution. This time round, people knew speaking out would not solve anything. But if you have to....feel free. You should have kept your original post, btw. Wink Fourthly, good luck on Sunday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

"Speaking out does not solve anything." I strongly, strongly disagree. It kind of depends on what one's goal is. No one expects firing squads. And when dealing with someone who is being rude, after awhile, the realist does not expect that person to really change either. But there's a lot to be said for the cathartic feeling of being able to speak one's mind. Many times, that's worth a lot. BTW, the clubhouse code was actually not hard for me to crack. The boomers community has lots of warm, community spirit that was hidden in the noise and gamesmanship of the clubhouse. Good for boomers, bad for clubhouse. The code is simply different. Long live boomers. AARP loves you.

#artbydmcbride

This forum is a lot of 40+ year olds, just like you srlopez. Big grin

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ilene, you're a goddess, not a what-you-said. no particular reason but did the guinnessesque PR streak keep goin' today? are you okay after all that fast runnin'?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

No PR sweet Tetsujin, but running fast in the rain was new for me. It was glorious. Smile

Runners run