Masters Running

RR - Tom King 1/2 marathon (Read 297 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear fusalina - you broke all the rules on rainy day runs that always seem to come in slower than dry runs for me and many others (and, either way, way faster than my 1/2 time too), especially doing it ipodless getting to enjoy the fullest joy of the running experience on your own terms. ps - discounting an AG award you richly deserved for an outstanding run in all respects would be like me thinking some of my dgl's (dead glorious lasts) mean I didn't run a marathon or something (and getting an AG award anyway!). Don't do it. Be Proud. pps - for those of us still lookin' for those rainy day solutions, especially hats/caps in the wind, please be sure to post race pictures if possible.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

What a hard earned finish!!!!! The words are not sufficient to describe the respect we have for you running in those conditions. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

What a tough race, Helen. I'm surprised they even went through with it if they knew there was lightning in the area. I've been lucky enough to never have run in a really heavy rain, although I've heard plenty of horror stories (and I'll add yours to that list!). I think that your time was outstanding, all things considered, and you definitely earned that award!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Well done, Helen! Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish when you want to. Things that just a short time ago seemed so impossible! Races in particular are so challenging, not just for the speed/time aspect but the weather, ipod, crowds and a host of other things. Folks that don't race never get to see many of these...to see how far they can push themselves in the face of adversity out on the road/trail. Keep up the good work and sharing it with us! Fran
            Thanks everyone. Been R&Ring in Amelia Island for a couple of days; no internet. Back at the airport I checked in to see if pix of the race are available yet and find that there were actually FIVE in my AG, so I feel better! Not sure why they weren't announced at the awards , as it was 5 deep. Was able to run a couple of miles around the island on Monday and 3 ond 3 on the TM today, so am ready to roll. You all are so supportive. As soon as pix are available, will try to post.

King of PhotoShop

Here is what I live for in a RR: "What did I learn? I CAN run a race w/out my Ipod, albeit difficult, I CAN carry on a conversation since I’m not zoned out on my tunes, and I CAN run in the rain! I am glad I did this race and will do it again." We all ought to come out of a race with an upbeat attitude like yours and a recap of what you learned or accomplished. You worked hard, listened to good advice and ran like a professional. I congratulate you on this race and enjoyed the report very much. Way to go Helen. You're a real runner. Spareribs
                Yay, Fussy! You did it! So many firsts. I think you're ready for a nice rainy race in Seattle next. Smile Congrats, congrats! I chuckled at your descriptions of other runners. We think alike -- I do that, too. Honestly, I'd much prefer most races if it was just me running. Wink The worst are the ones pushing joggers who pass me. Any of those? Angry Tongue Btw, did you see my suggestions on Friday's good luck racers thread about listening to an upbeat song before you left the car? Worked for me recently, too.
                  Way to go fussy, What a fun report to read! I’ll have to keep my eye out for your next one. >I left ready and motivated, but decided to do what I’ve been training for, which is to run the entire way Yeah Helen--I like this one >I did not wear my Ipod. I did miss it, especially after mile 8, but I just kept singing “Eye of the tiger” over and over in my head... Big grin Big grin >Final time was 2:22, which was the same as my last ½ 2 years ago. No PR but a feeling of accomplishment.. Maybe not an actual PR, but I am sure that you ran a stronger race. I promise you that will smash this PR one day if you keep going the way you have been. Congratulations!
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marathon Maniac #957

What a trooper you are, running an entire HM in the rain, without an mp3 player! You are tough! I admit that for longer races like that I always have worn my mp3 player, although I keep the volume down low enough that I can easily carry on conversations. I know all the tunes by heart, so I barely have to hear them to be singing along in my head. I suppose it's my crutch...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."