Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 10/21 (Read 296 times)

jfa

Hey Peeps.

been busy trying to squeeze the last of the summer weather around here. Had a business trip down to Houston last week where summer is very much alive and well.

Ran my second tuneup half marathon yesterday. My plan was spot on to hold a 8:30ish pace to mile 10, then go with what was left. Just after turning the 10 mile marker I picked up the pace, and a cute woman ( we had been along side each other much of the race) asked, "we seem to be running the same pace, mind if I run with you". "Sure " says I. We then proceeded to pick up the pace way too much and shortly after I told her not to wait for me. She held onto it, I did not.

Last 5 were

8:00

8:02

7:21 WTH was I thinking??

8:03

8:22. This last one really hurt and it's a testament to my training that I held on.

1:50:36 6/25 AG

Anyway, this was a 2 minute PR from the one I set two weeks ago.

An 11 mile slow jog on tap for today then taper time!

good week all.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Last 5 were

8:00

8:02

7:21 WTH was I thinking??

8:03

8:22. This last one really hurt and it's a testament to my training that I held on.

1:50:36 6/25 AG

Anyway, this was a 2 minute PR from the one I set two weeks ago.

An 11 mile slow jog on tap for today then taper time!

good week all.

I'm going to guess at what you were thinking.  Wink  But a very nice half--especially when you can knock off 2 minutes from only 2 weeks ago.

Strt of the 2nd week at Huntersville.  My electricians are working hard and lots getting done.  actually running the plant by 10/31?  It will be nice if it happens.  But regardless, my schedule will be screwed up until it does.  And on top of it, we'll be missing out on Halloween again this year.

Nice race last weekend, Leslie.  For some reason, I apparently was not paying atteniton and I thought that was a ways away.  did you miss out on a prize for DGL?  (Tet's phrase, i think--Dead Glorious Last)

Now that I've been typing for a couple of minutes, anything else I was going to say is now forgotten. I know there was a Cindy and group racing in there somewhere.  Have to go back and refresh later.  Work is beckoning yet again.

bye for now.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hmm - the cute wimmen will getcha every time, Joe. Big grin  Nice job on the PR!

Stumpy - Nope, didn't come in last, 2nd to last.  An older gentleman I ran about 9 miles with in the first half came in last.  He would've come in ahead of me, but he ended up having some pretty bad knee trouble and had to walk a significant portion of the last half.  As it is, he only came in half an hour behind me.

Rest day for me.  The quads are still tired, but overall I feel good.  I have a nice 6 week rest ahead of me before beginning to gear up for next season.  I intend to take full advantage of it!

Have a good week ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - oh, amazing story about your friend, what a comeback! 

Leslie - nice work! What did you think of that race and the course? How much climbing did you do?

Stumpy - missing halloween, aww Sad 

Got in a nice 16 yesterday, have not run that far in awhile. Have a trail half marathon coming up on Sat...otherwise, well, it's zzzz time...

Ex runner

Arla - I really liked the run and will definitely do it again.  There were only about 60 participants for all three distances (10k, 30k, 50k), but this was the first year.

The first half of the run is very runnable, so for me, I had to be careful that I didn't outrun myself for the second half.  The second half is when most of the climbing occurs.  There is about 4500-4600 feet of elevation gain/loss for the entire race.  There are two climbs of about half a mile each.  The first one comes at about Mile 15.25 and switchbacks all the way up, then you get about 2.5 miles of basically flat trail to run before it starts climbing up and down again.  It probably took me about 20 minutes to make the first climb.  The second one comes around Mile 22.

There were plenty of aid stations with all but two being 3 to 4 miles apart.  Two were 5 miles apart.  Three of the aid station stops are the same aid station, which is Jackass Ridge AS, and those ladies were a hoot!

On a scale of 1-5 (1 being EZ PZ, 5 being Hardrock), I'd say the first half of this race is around 2-2.5 and the second half is around 3.5.  I loved this race and definitely recommend it.  You would get through this race with absolutely no problems and would probably finish quite a bit faster than I did.  After costs, all proceeds benefited the Trinity High School athletic department.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - that sounds like a nice run! I would absolutely do more trail events if I had trails outside my door! One thing I have learned is that trail running is a different skill than road running, and you need some time to ready yourself for the coordination, climbing and descent skills. 

Have had a couple nice longish runs the last several days. Saturday I'm stupidly doing a trail half (stupid because I have not done enough trail running lately), at first I thought the elevation profile looked brutal, but then I compared it to the Griffith Park trail half (same RD as Leona Divide), and realized it was relatively reasonable

http://www.quicksilver-running.com/HalfMarathonElevationProfile.jpg

Fun pic from Half Moon Bay, my back was hurting but it was a fun run anyway.

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Getting some runs in now, almost feel like a c25 ker when I start out but usually warm into it and feel I could go on for a long ways. Rum schedule, Holy Freudian slip there, lol.

Joe congrats on the awesome PR. RT mag had some pacing strategies for various race distances this edition, running with attractive fast gals wasn't one of them but thinking it needed to be. ;-) Looks like you are right on schedule for a great race at the NYCM.

Stumpy missing Halloween bummer. Good luck on getting your plant up on schedule. Hope you get to sneak in a run or two in the meantime.

Leslie congrats on another succesful race. Enjoy your break.

Arla have fun on your trail half. Nice picture, you look so young and fit. I'd like to think the rest of us runner/active types hold our age well.

Cindy awesome story on your friend. The local gals said it was a brutal weather day at the Bluffs, I mean it can't rain all summer and you get rain, hail and wind and cold temps, then Monday was gorgeous, go figure, never know what kind of weather you will get this time of year on the plains/front range. Congrats on getting another tough one under your belt also to Doug on his pr. Finally got to meet Kelly as we met her for a fun lunch in Ogallala Sunday.

Finished all harvest and wheat seeding last week, now have cleanup and maintenance but nothing as time sensitive and have more fall time to get it done. Still in exceptional drought, I think most of my wheat will germinate but not alot of moisture to take it very far, hope we get enough ground cover to prevent wind erosion, My no-till residue from previous crops will help. Longer range forecasts are not encouraging at this point.

an interesting video blog from my pt, Lynda says I am their "Special Case" somehow I don't think she meant it in a good way. :-) Anyway take a look if you get the chance..

http://hruskaclinic.com/blog/view/runners-loris-new-blog-shows-you-how-to-turn-off-your-hip-flexors-and-run-i/

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi, Jim!  Glad you and Lynda are starting to get a breather and can concentrate on yourselves a little more.

Great pic, Arla!

I haven't done squat since Saturday.  Am giving myself the entire week off to sleep in and rejuvenate.  It feels good.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hmm - the cute wimmen will getcha every time, Joe. 

Right. You think I might have learned by now, but no.

Enjoy your rejuvenation time Leslie, and free time (sleeping later) ,  you deserve it.

Arla- great pic! Looks like you're fit, in good form, and having fun. Nice.

Your race elevation profile is scary, not reasonable,  to me.

Good video Jim. Glad you're getting the runs in and gaining some more free time after your hard work.

Hang in there Stumpy. Hope your plant plans come together well for you.

Nice 7m out and back today for me. I'm really liking what Nobby has put in front of me. Perhaps the shorter races will be more appealing after 5 springs and falls of marathon training. It sure is a fun feeling feeling faster.

Top 'O the World!

Right. You think I might have learned by now, but no. Evil 

See, this is one of the things that keeps Doug running! His last two PR's are largely due to chasing skirts!.... & you thought he was here for the beer! Wink

Glad you got to meet up w/Kelly, Jim!  Now, see I didn't think the weather was all that horrible on Sat, but then, I would much rather run in drizzle than blistering sunshine! The weather rundown as I remember it: low 50's for most of the race corridor - IRC to me! . High winds before start but settled down to more Scb normals during & post. Heavy rain bands moved in as we were waiting to start - marathoners got to mostly wait in the Wildcat Hills visitor center until just a few mins to gun time when, while still steady, had backed off a bit from deluge. As we ran down the hill, we mostly left the rain behind. By 3 miles, I had my jacket unzipped. By 6 it was tied. Put it back on around the 1/2 point due to light rain again. Back off two miles later. One more short one at mile 19 or so...Off till finish line. No hail. Minor squally/gusty at times but, no high winds during  IMHO While I do prefer cooler temps & clouds, my gear could have made all the difference for many: GoreTex. One of the other complaints was that the rain made the canal road a bit slippery & clumpy...again, I had on good quality trail shoes whereas most were road geared. 

~ & I think I'll go through some of your friend's videos a bit more...I'm desperately overdue for some refreshers/cont ed! :/ 

No Halloween, Stumpy!?! Sad  dayumm! Hope life settles for you soon!

Nice pic, Arla!  you look so....sproinky!  Wink 

Rest well, Leslie! 

I'm taking it easy this week as well....have only had Mairead out twice so far! She's a hoot with the Fall leaves! The road marathon definitely took more out of me than the trail 50K! Plus, both being a reminder that I've let my weight creep back up & have been extremely neglectful of my core/strength training, XT, stretch, logging what I'm doing!!, etc....It is in my mind to refocus my attention on that stuff for this upcoming season, you know, rededicate to getting fit & trim Roll eyes ..... off to peek in on the weight loss boards.....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Maybe the weekly weight loss thread needs to be started up again to keep us all in line during the upcoming holiday seasons.

Joe - Most men never learn. Big grin

I'm still not doing anything exercise-wise.  Although I did have quite the nightmare last night and woke The Hub up yelling, "Help . . . Me!  Help . . . Me!"  I remember something evil had a hold of me (i.e., Amityville Horror) and was jerking me up and down in the air.  My heart was racing 90 miles an hour when I woke up.  Scared the crap outta me!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - sure are liking what Nobby has put in front of you....shorter races....?? Has Nobby set you up for some shorter races in the future, or are you referring to the upcoming taper? 

Jim - I watched that video and it was VERY helpful, thank you! I could really feel the stretch she did (who knew you could use your diaphragm to stretch - wait, that sounds bad...>:-) ), and the glute exercise was a real surprise! These will make a great compliment to what my PT has given me to do. 

Cindy - agreed that a road marathon is harder on you than a trail 50K, especially if it's a flat marathon. That combo of not changing up your gait + going faster on average is a killer! Good luck getting back on track, ah I'm so dreading the holidays! 

Leslie - eek, sounds like a horrible nightmare! 

90+ YET AGAIN today, summer keeps sneaking back on us. Looks like this time is really the end, though, with temps heading to the 60s next week. Just in time for our local marathon in two weeks! 

Out to run with the local running store gang, always a nice time to get a chance to join them. 

Ex runner

Very interesting video.  I'm not sure I understand the glute exercise, so I'll have to watch that part again when it's quieter and I can pay better attention.

Okay - Off to Bonkos.  Momma needs to win 60 bucks!!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

On tonight's run, I had a chance to run with my friend Kathy. She is the current #1 senior (50+) women's runner in the area, and has always been a fair amount faster than me although I've been getting closer to her race times over the years. I was hoping to race against her in the 2013 local racing series, because I knew I'd have to work hard to even dream of catching her (maybe when she's having a bad day). So we were trotting along, it felt good, but pretty soon I realized we had slowly gotten up to my tempo pace. I was straining slightly, and she was clearly more comfortable than me. 

She also was wearing just short shorts and a running bra. She's 53, and she looks faaabulous. OMG, the woman has a six-pack. I've never had a six pack, and probably never will. We ran by a young guy and he very obviously was checking her out! Smile

So, yeah, I have a lot of work to do next year, if only to be respectable. Good to have people who inspire you! 

Ex runner

Big grin

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance