Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 5.6.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry about your friend who DNF'd the Pig, Holly. I hope she is feeling OK now. How'd your laundry/dish washing cross training go yesterday?

I hope you and DW made your flights home, Twocat. And congrats on your run at the Pig!

It's great that Henrun & Marj both earned AG hardware in their Giant races on Sunday - Congrats!  Henry, I'm glad to see that our Seacoast Half shirts are making it to the left coast. It's scary that you met a runner out there that knows me - there's no place to hide...

Aamos, a 67 year-old racing a 5K in 38 is pretty good! Tell him to keep up the good work, and to beat that time by :30 in his next 5K. He likely needs to do some "quick-step" drills to increase his turnover rate. You sure told a terrific Tag-related tale! Oh yeah - and CONGRATS on a close 2nd overall in your first 50K!! How cool is that? (Answer: VERY!)

Jo, welcome! Smart of you to start out easy to avoid those nagging overuse injuries.

Hi az2mntrail - Nice run around the neighborhood. "It could be worse" is always a good attitude.

Glad you continue to be on the mend, Stumpy. Congrats on signing up for Richmond.

It's wise to get out early with those temps, Pfriese. The last time I saw 98 degrees, I was in the kitchen and  had the oven open...

I'm glad the Kiddo's got the bug, C-R. How'd he do last night?

It's great (but no surprise) that you had such a great and memorable trip to the land of the Giants. Leslie. Sounds like a great meet-up all around.

I'm so sorry that Ribs is having vowel trouble. I hope that surgery is successful, and that he can finally get out of there.

Excellent strength run, Mike!

Enke, the fact that, with all you've had to deal with, you finished your first half marathon in 5 years is certainly good enough for me! Congratulations - you DO so rock!

Good for you Tet - always looking forward to the next weekend.

Sorry Tag's under the weather, Steve. A little extra TLC will work for everyone, regardless of the number of legs. Great pet store story!

7.5 RW miles at J o'clock this morning. This was my last good tune-up before Saturday's half. I included as many hills as I could, and most miles were in the 11:30-11:40 range, so I was pleased with the workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//....nice to see pfriese posting, and welcome to Jo and R2D2..........

sorry,

couldn't resist

===========

...36mprnb

deo

.........GoodVibes to ribbs..............hope he gets some ReallyGood Drugs after this......

..good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

3 miles of walk/run. Legs are feeling good post marathon.

Give me an "a"

Give me an "e"

Give me a healthy Spareribs!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

A healthy Spareribs would be nice.  Wishing him well is, alas, all I can do.

Another day off from exercise for me.  My legs are feeling quite a bit better.  I may try doing some upper body work tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sounds like the surgery was successful and Ribs should be well on his way to freely pooping again.

Enke - I concur with what Jay said.  This is your first half in 5 years?  You did great!

Said goodbye to Wildchild/Carolyn this morning.  What a neat lady!  She's the last RA-er to leave Humboldt County.  Shorty and I really enjoyed spending last evening with her, just chatting and getting to know one another better.  Shorty enjoyed talking "Colorado" with her.    She doesn't fly out 'til this afternoon, so she's got a key to the house and directions to my famous McKay Tract and had plans to get in a few miles there before heading home.  Wish I could've taken the morning off to go for run with her, but alas, duty (aka work) called. She has me all jacked up to get out to Utah soon to run the Moab Trail Marathon within the next couple of years.

No running this morning, but I will get in my miles and speed work/hill work tonight.  6 miles with 3x1/2 mile tempo runs.  Bleck.   Coaches words:  You should then rest for full recovery, so at least rest for the amount of time the 1/2 mile took.  You can walk or lay down in the fetal position, whichever you prefer!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I hope you and Paul didn't get in too late last night, Nancy? Thank you again (you, Paul and Enke!!) for making such a long trek down for a relatively short weekend. I think you may have spent just as much time in a car as you did at the Avenue? Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but in addition to Marj and Henry both placing well in their AG's, MikeR also placed 3rd in his AG and got a sweet medal for that. If they would have gone at least 17 deep into AG's, I would have placed too!  lol.

My time was 2:06:44 which is about what I expected given my lack of running/training. I wanted to run 2:05-2:10 and just get in the distance, feel good and enjoy it.  I think that by looking at my splits, it might have been a negative split. I should have looked at my time at the turn-around. but here's my splits for anyone interested . . . or not. . . 

eta: results on race site: 17/54 AG; 487/1154 OA; 256/763 OA Female.

9.38, 9.52, 9.54, 9.46, 9.48, 9.30, 9.08, 9.04, 9.19, 9.23, 9.30, 9.14, 9.36, 2.59. My garmin was at 13.36 mi, so I didn't do a very good job at running tangents. Maybe if I wasn't flitting all around the course like some drunken, but happy, butterfly, I might have had a more accurate HM distance. I really had fun chatting with some other runners on the course. One girl and I were almost running by each other the whole 2nd half and had some fun conversations. Johnny is not on facebook, nor really on-line at all, but I'll show him some of the pics we took of the wknd. He's glad he came down and spent some time with us and he enjoyed meeting up with me, and then with Enke, and running us each in at the finishing stretch.

I know it's been said, but Leslie is truly our Rock Star!! Her husband Shorty is pretty dang awesome also! This weekend would not have gone off as organized and fun as it was if it weren't for her help. I can't wait to see her again in a few wks!!

Thoroughly enjoyed my wknd, meeting new friends, having more relaxed down-time afterwards (usually when I run this race, I hop back in my car and just head home). Walking Fern Canyon with Caroline was an added bonus.  We certainly missed (and talked about!) those friends that wanted to be at this gathering, but for one reason or another, were not able to make it. I'm hopeful that another race opportunity will come around with those of you that I would have had the chance to meet for the first time. 

okay, I guess my little blurb about the weekend ended up being more like a RR!  lol.

Tammy

Henrun

We're in the airport waiting to go home. Yesterday we spent the day in Berkeley with Marj's sister and hiked in Tilden Park-good recovery work. This morning we took BART to the airport and that's about it.

Like all have said, the weekend was a smashing success. We're looking forward to our next meet-up.

I can't wait to see her again in a few wks!!

It's totally worthwhile to mention the shocked/questioning look on the Tamster's face when I said, "So I'll see you in a couple of weeks then."  Heh heh heh.  Tammy had forgotten that she is graciously opening her home to me on an overnight stay when I head north for my Memorial Day Weekend running with Kate and Karen.  And I think she said something kinda like, "Oh, I better tell my husband about it!" 

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey all. Got a nice 7 in during my lunch hour. Just downloaded a couple of 5k training plans. I'm going to go and get a low number this year.

Jay - kiddo ran 8:38 for a new PR in the 2400. They have a meet again tonight and Thursday. He thinks he can go under 8:30 by weeks end. And people wonder why I am looking for advanced 5k training plans. I would like to at least see my kid crossing the finish line for another year or two. He also asked to go to robot camp and running camp in the summer. Another engineer runner. Meanwhile his twin is wanting to go to astronomy camp and wrestling camp. And DD is interning with a local vet for the summer. Good thing they take after their mom.

Enke - a job well done. Period. be proud of your accomplishment. It is so Rockin.

Leave it to TW to work Star Wars into the daily. Well played sir.

Sounded like a great meet up for you AOG racers. Very very nice.

Well back to work. I am sooooo behind I think I may lap myself.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

I had the most wonderful 10 mile run in Leslie's beautiful McKay Tract this morning!  It's cool and shady and beautiful!  The only thing missing was Leslie.    I really really want to do a trail run with her sometime!

Leslie and Shorty have been wonderful hosts, and they live in a gorgeous part of the country.   What a treat to spend time with so many RA friends!  Anyway, I just showered and I'm heading for the airport soon to fly home.  It's been an amazing trip!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I had the most wonderful 10 mile run in Leslie's beautiful McKay Tract this morning!  It's cool and shady and beautiful!  The only thing missing was Leslie.

Stoopid work.  It gets in the say of SO many things.

I'm glad you enjoyed the McKay.   Safe travels ~~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - I just went and read your race report (too short on time before), anyway, you made me smile, and I really, really needed a smile today, so thank you....and hey, WELL DONE!

4 recovery miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

okay, I guess my little blurb about the weekend ended up being more like a RR!  lol.

Nice!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Ribs' latest update from facebook:

"Update day 8: nasal tube came out today and ice chips are delicious! Clear liquids tomorrow and then probably home Thursday. Walked 1.5 miles. Thanks all."

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ribs' latest update from facebook:

"Update day 8: nasal tube came out today and ice chips are delicious! Clear liquids tomorrow and then probably home Thursday. Walked 1.5 miles. Thanks all."

They should give you a buckle or something equivalent of century and longer ultras

for all you've gone through, same as your running, very successfully.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)