Masters Running

Lessons Learned from 2008 Racing Season (Read 496 times)

If I know anything it's that there is no "one size fits all" for runners. If you're seeing that kind of improvement from what you've been doing it certainly makes sense to stick with it. More has always been better for me and I've tried it both ways on several occasions. My approach is more like Hermosaboy's. I like to race a lot and run every day that I can. On some days I run twice. My last few races were as a good as any I've run since I started 30 years ago, and they came during a 90-day string without a day off.
    Yup... I'd agree with Jim2.... I just can't stand to take a day off (tapering is torture). But what works for you is great. I do also run my long runs faster and I think that is great preparation. In order to get to a weight of 205 I'd have to put on a around 60 LBs.... The fact that tall knocks off these times at that weight is absolutely amazing. Ray
      Yup... I'd agree with Jim2.... I just can't stand to take a day off (tapering is torture). But what works for you is great. I do also run my long runs faster and I think that is great preparation. In order to get to a weight of 205 I'd have to put on a around 60 LBs.... The fact that tall knocks off these times at that weight is absolutely amazing. Ray
      That means a lot to me. You are one of the runners I have looked up to for a long time and I still do. I know what I have to do this winter to get ready and I look forward to delivering. For the first time in a race I was accepted to the front of the pack by the Around the Bay organizers based on my half time of 1:20. That will allow me to run ahead of the crazy horde orf 8,000 this year. I had a great year this year but I expect that I might have a better on this year. With maturity comes a keen sense of understanding (at least I hope). Ray - I hope to meet you one day. I am not running Boston next year but I will run New York next year and Boston in 2010...then marathons will be but a memory for me. And put me down for a sub 2:48 weather and health willing in Ottawa in May. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Yeah Tall - we'll have to hit a race and knock back a few one of these days. I've never run NY but might have to give it a shot... I did go to NY once (when I was 7). Take care, ray
          Haven't posted in awhile, mostly because I have been so busy with work, and re-habbing my leg. Since this is the season of reflection, and giving thanks, here is what I have come to know in 2008: I am ALOT TOUGHER than I ever knew I was Training is discipline, and is as much mental as it is physical I hate running in the south in the summer, while training for a fall race- Humidity is brutal I set a goal to run a HM and because none of my family would ever believe that I had the guts to do it, I did it, and finished it.... injured, and never more proud, and provided them a picture as proof that I could still smile at the finish line, even though my leg wanted to fall off and be buried. I truly LOVE this crazy sport. I have been doing alot of weight training to gain the necessary muscle and core strength to propel me in my next quest for a second HM next year, this time to run it in top form. You cannot become a runner late in life and expect to not experience the pain of your body saying WTF? why did you wait till NOW to beat the living daylights out of me? Confused This has been such a spiritual journey for me, I learned so much about myself, and so much about other people through this site. I would not have made it through it all without the constant support of everyone here. I am making a slow comeback, enjoying every short run now with child like excitement. THAT I feel, is the most imprortant thing learned, It should always first and foremost BE FUN. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"