Masters Running

Wednesday 6.17.15 (Read 47 times)

Checking in from Montreal, where we are with a Road Scholar tour group but had time to rent bikes yesterday for a ride along the Lachine Canal. We really are loving this city! Like being in Europe without the long travel (or even changing time zones). More on that later.

By the way, there's a nearby McDonald's on the site once occupied by one of Ribs' famous LaMothe relatives.

The only drawback is that it's a bad time to be putting on a couple pounds a week before Charlevoix!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Mornin' Roch and everyone to follow.

I'm glad you're enjoying Montreal, Roch. Be careful what and where you eat!

I'm sorry for everyone, especially in Texas and the middle of the country, who has been inundated with rain. I know we've all needed it, but there are limits to how much is enough. I'm with Aamos - I don't mind a workout in the rain, but I like it better if it starts right about when I'm beginning to heat up somewhere along the way.

Slo, can you tell me how to upload Garmin info to RA? That would make my life a lot easier.

Beautiful photos, Mariposai, and nice that you got one with the guy.

Dave, that video was a little scary! 

How do you keep those moose out of the garden, Evanflein?

I hope you got the ac fixed, Stumpy.

Deeze, my last PCP, who I liked a lot, became a hospitalist because he was spending way too much time on reports and not enough with patients. I so hope that isn't the way you are headed with EPIC. Meanwhile, I have no doubt that you'll do great in your half Ironman!

Nice post-chiro run, Mike.

Good choice to go with Columbus, Murphy. And good luck with the Higdon plan.

Welcome back, LaT, and nice run/commute to work.

WC, if it were me, your plan would not be a good one at all because I don't think I'd survive. You ARE a running machine!

6.9 easy RW miles, starting a little before 4 this morning. I've decided, after almost 300 miles in them, that I don't like the Saucony Kinvara. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about them that just doesn't feel quite right. I don't have a "go to" shoe since Mizuno stopped making the Musha, so I'll be starting from scratch again at replacement time. I hate that...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Jay - Are you using Garmin Connect? If so select "Tools" on the side bar in your training log then select "Applications".

Turn on the application for Garmin Connect. When you do an upload to Garmin Connect it will send an update here to your RA Log.

No run...more rain.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

5 very leisurely miles this am, happily so as we got in a good session last night at Speedsters.  Ran a 4 mile warm up with a friend, then another mile with everyone.  We did a great routine: 1 half mile, then 2 quarters, repeated 3 times.  The variety made it feel less like a drill.  Then a cooldown mile.  And we didn't get rained on or lightning-ed limited, as we have the past few Tuesdays.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

4.4 easy-paced miles for me today in a light rain and mid-70's.

I admit that my legs are still tired from the 32-mile race I did 11 days ago, and my right knee hurts.  Wildchild - you are in great shape!  But for me, recovery is a bit slower.  Usually it takes me 3 weeks to fully recover from a marathon, but for some reason this time it feels slower.  My legs just feel so tired.  I can't go 4 miles without walk breaks.  However, I still have hopes that by the time we get to the Charlevoix Marathon, which is exactly 3 weeks after my last race, my legs will be recovered.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wildchild - I think you will do great at your 50-miler!

Deez - that's the tri for me - with floaties!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I haven't actually registered for the 50 miler yet - just thinking about it.  It's part of the same race series as the marathon I just did on Sunday, so I know the RD and lots of the other runners.  If I don't run it, I'll volunteer, which would be just as fun - maybe more!

The kid with the dreadlocks who looks like Ryan won the marathon on Sunday, so I guess that means he didn't get giardia from drinking untreated water the last time I ran with him!   Oh, and he worked all day Saturday marking the course, too.  I expect we'll be hearing about him on the ultra circuit in the next few years.  His name's Logan Polfuss.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo_Hand thanks for the tip!  I use Chrome so it turned out to be a bit more involved than just going to the Training Log upload page.  But, a few clicks and it is now working!  I am not 100% sure this will prove easier than uploading the FIT file, but it is certainly worth a shot.

This is interesting.  Epson is going to sell a running GPS watch here in the US in a few weeks (or so they say).  Reading the article they may give Garmin some serious competition.  Unlike Garmin it seems Epson will make it easy to transfer files across running log platforms like RA and RunKeeper, etc.  Something that Garmin seems loathe to do.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/06/shoes-and-gear/epson-makes-move-into-sports-tech_130112

Today was run (8 miles), laundry (yes more of it), pack and clear off some chores.  One of which was to get my work email inbox well under 100 messages.  I actually made it to under 50!  First time in years!!!!  Next up a trip to the airport and then to Seattle followed a few days later with a trip to the absolute middle of nowhere through long stretches through the middle of nowhere followed by some days of hiking to nowhere.  I am quite looking forward to it! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave, I loved the video from the Tennessee half.  mari, nice pictures and get together with tet.

Nice long runs for heme and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was supposed to have the day off, today but, because I have a meeting at church tomorrow, I did my hill workout, tonight.  I went to my 1/2 mile course that has 2 nice hills in it and did 3.25 mile warmup in 25:59, then I did 6 x 1:00 @ 5K effort w/2:00 recoveries followed by 6 x 30 seconds @ 1 mile race effort.  That covered 3 miles in 21:34.  Then I did a 3.75 mile cool down in 30:11.   The total was 10 miles in 1:17:44.

I have pulled something in my left arm.  I have no idea what I could have done to it, but it hurts like crazy.  It doesn't affect my running, though, so I guess I'll put up with it.  Man, it's tough getting old.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!