Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Maui Marathon Report (Read 253 times)

xor

Here is my report from the Maui Marathon on 9/14. And there is my bonus report from the Skagit Flats Marathon on 9/7. Skagit Flats is my vote for the flattest marathon in the entire US. It is not Chicago. It is not Mardi Gras. It is not Erie. It's a little race in Washington farmland. From a performance perspective, Skagit was a much better race for me than Maui *and* I ran Skagit with stitches in my back. They were removed before Maui. But, heck, Maui is Maui. A much more interesting race to run even if I ran a very stupid race and finished with a so-so time (for me). As always, links to a lot more different races and race reports can be found over there.

evanflein

Another excellent report. Thanks! I'd love to do Maui sometime but I'd have to give up Equinox to do it. Looking forward to your Bellingham report, that's a beautiful course and I hear the weather was very nice... especially compared to last year's blustery conditions!
        hey srlopez, thanks for the RR. I was wondering how you did since I didn't stay to watch the finishers come in. After I ran the half, I headed back to my hotel for dry clothes. I was soaked from all those ice sponges. Not a pretty sight. Thanks for the new word "VOG". I was wondering why so many clouds. Yeah, it was hot and muggy and my goodness that full marathon sounds rough. Next time no eat Panda fast food before marathon!
          Entertaining report! Poor Aamos!!! Yuck...well I guess vog is just something I'd rather not learn more about. Btw....since you are the resident marathon connoisseur, do you know anything about the Columbia River Power Marathon....is it small, new, good, bad, hilly??? I'm thinking of doing a HM there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Evanflein: Nah, just do both! They are one week apart usually... plenty of time to be ready! BTW, I've wanted to come up to Equinox, but that is typically on a 'no travel' weekend for me. Some day I hope to do it. I want to see if Esther Dome is anything like the Kingdome. Two Humped Camel: I was wondering where you were! As for my choice of pre-race meal, yah, Panda no good. ALTHOUGH - I had no fuel-related problems and no digestion issues... so it didn't hurt me. Aside from being kind of yuck. I learned a long time ago that no matter what I eat the day before, the state of my digestive system on race morning is always a total crap shoot. Heh. Thank you! Goodnight, everybody! Drive safely! Enke Dink: The Columbia River thingy is brand new and I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it is a great weekend to do a double... that race is on Saturday, and you can do Tri-Cities (30 miles away?) on Sunday. I *do* like the name "Umatilla", though. If Uma Thurman had a restaurant, that would be her special tortilla dish... Black bean ono and an umatilla.

Great report! Definitely know that at this point I would not survive those conditions. Re the stomach issues - I've learned that I have to take Zantac (or something equivalent) at least one week prior to a run, and for anything over 2.5 hours, Imodium, unfortunately, is a must. Undecided As another aside - how the heck do you run so many marathons?? Yes, you truly are a maniac. Smile

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Enke Dink: The Columbia River thingy is brand new and I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it is a great weekend to do a double... that race is on Saturday, and you can do Tri-Cities (30 miles away?) on Sunday.
                I think the Tri-cities is closer to 26.2 miles away so in fact you could do a triple!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I always love your reports, but I so appreciate how great they are when I've been there. You capture so much, and with that droll sense of humor. I love it. Yes, it is a beautiful race, very well organized, LOTS of those sponges that totally saved us, and the detail goes right down to the med tents. They insisted on having at me and took my vitals, wouldn't let me leave until a doc had seen me! I'd recommend staying at a guest house if you go, unless you want to experience Maui staying at a hotel that would be right at home in Las Vegas. Expo is there--interesting to visit, but I was real glad I wasn't living there, even for a weekend. SR--so I think we just agreed to do the R&R in your fair city in June. You in??? C'mon, say yes! grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles
                  xor

I always love your reports, but I so appreciate how great they are when I've been there. You capture so much, and with that droll sense of humor. I love it. Yes, it is a beautiful race, very well organized, LOTS of those sponges that totally saved us, and the detail goes right down to the med tents. They insisted on having at me and took my vitals, wouldn't let me leave until a doc had seen me! I'd recommend staying at a guest house if you go, unless you want to experience Maui staying at a hotel that would be right at home in Las Vegas. Expo is there--interesting to visit, but I was real glad I wasn't living there, even for a weekend. SR--so I think we just agreed to do the R&R in your fair city in June. You in??? C'mon, say yes! grins, A
                    Or you can stay where I stayed (The Maui Seaside Hotel) which will not remind you of Las Vegas in any fashion. As for Seattle Rock N Roll.... uh, negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. It's the same weekend as the Kona Marathon, and that's my race. You folks have fun though!

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for a very interesting RR! DD and I went to Maui for vacation a couple of years ago, and I know what you mean about the heat! I did some easy runs early in the morning and late in the evening, but it was always hot. I don't think I'd ever race there for that reason. The scenery is awesome, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.