Masters Running

40's on the run...springtime is runner's high time! (Read 430 times)

Joe - I'm glad the knee's feeling better. And even though it's hard, you're being very smart about going slow. Keep up the good work. Now about that race in a month . . . . Another PT appointment this a.m. Was suppose to do 3 miles and strength training, but I figured I'd get a good enough workout at PT, and boy was a I right! Supposedly in a couple of weeks my legs will feel like what I'm doing tain't nothin', but right now they're very vocal in their irritation. However, the fact that I'm able to do these exercises at all makes me feel really good about myself. More squatting and balancing and squatting, on and off the BOSU, then made me hold like a broom handle over my shoulders, sit on a box and lift up until my thighs were just above being level . . . then hold it for a minute. This is after almost an hour of the other stuff. I made it 40 seconds before I had to sit down or topple over. . . . Then I had to finish the remaining 20 minutes. My legs were shaking so bad, it was hilarious. I think I want my goal to be able to hold that position for at least a couple of minutes with my full bladder pack on my back. He watched me run on the treadmill and told me that my right foot was almost dragging on the forward swing and that I hit heavier on that heel. All because of the injury 10 years ago. I then had to walk around on my heels, knees flexed, for 5 minutes. Talk about burning in the shins! But guaranteed to guard against shin splints and to help strengthen that ankle. Anyway - thankfully, I told my bosses I wouldn't be in 'til after 10:00 this a.m. 'cause I definitely had to go home and shower! Later! The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- Good job with your PT.Sounds like you're really learning alot.Good for you! You're right about my race.I must be jacked on endorphines or going senile ,or both! Confused Here I am in one sentence,saying how great it is to be able to go 15 miles in a week?!? and in the same breath thinking of doing a marathon at the end of the month! Silly talk !!! I'll just take it easy.

Joe, a good run sure can make us feel like superman or superwoman, can't it? Cool Very tricky those endorphins. I'm right there with ya on the 15ish or so miles of running per week. Just remembering that I run for health, fun, and sanity. OK, so the health and fun part is going well, but the jury is still out on the sanity Shocked Decent 4 miles this morning at a very even 10:33 pace according to Minnie (newly coined name for my Garmin). Spring has definitely sprung around here with lots of blossoms and a few scattered thunderstorms. May it head the way of all you northern 40's Smile
        Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys!! Ran 4 with the class group wednesday night, trying to keep up with the group basically makes it a tempo run. My assignment this week is to build some of my normal mid week runs. Jewels thanks for bringing us the rest of "the Young and the Prom Dressless". Hopefully the new one works. I definitely think MS Smashing Butt Cheeks should be reported to the better biz bureau. Good job on the race Salty, the only part of that adventure I could handle would be the wine tasting after. Leslie sounds like you got a good pt and you will be all tuned up for summer races. Carol I have another name for my Garmin, don't think I wanta put it in print. Tongue Joe hope the knee keeps improving. Arla glad the back is getting better. Its busy in Nebraska now, gotta run.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning all..... I'm off today. Kenny and I are headed to St. Augustine in about 2 hrs. for a long weekend getaway. It's our 25th wedding anniversary. I can't wait. This is the perfect time of year to go. Got us a hotel right smack dab on the Bay in the historical downtown section. Walking distance to EVERYTHING. So many things to see and do it should be fun. Got a short run in this morning. Okay, I have a question? Take for instance this morning. Cardio wise, I feel like I could go on forever (well, maybe not forever but you know what I mean, lungs felt superb). The problem is....my lower half is giving out after only 5 miles. Just feels broken down. Things start to ache. Am I lacking strength in my lower half and that is why it is giving out on me? What "gives out" first for everybody else? Is it your lungs or your body? Gotta go shower and finish packin' and I'm outta here! Glad to hear everyone is getting in there runs! Have a great weekend......Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Jewels thanks for bringing us the rest of "the Young and the Prom Dressless". Big grin Big grin ....... definitely think MS Smashing Butt Cheeks should be reported to the better biz bureau. .
              DITTO! Dontcha jes love the timing of "educational opportunities!?" Tongue Hi Guys! Lotsa reading to catch up w/you all this week! Smile Extra babysitting & work cutting into my run schedule...What schedule! Confused Ah well, was feeling tired & lazy anyway....ridiculous! This feeling of needing more than 6-7 hrs of sleep @ night....working w/a written list of "things to do" @ all times this week...early dimentia/short term memory loss/brain farts? Sad Kelly - I haven't even started my taxes yet... Roll eyes...(coming from somebody who used to do everybody else's...)...maybe outta bang that out this weekend - right after my Sunday long run Cool Leslie - I had a PT like that years ago..prolly not as nice as yours.....I'm resting for you! Big grin charge on! Carol - I haven't yet coined a pet name for Garmie...& yet we have a pretty good relationship...it keeps telling me I'm improving minimally Wink.... {{{{{{{ continued healing vibes to Joe & Arla & whomever else may need a bit of pixie dust! }}}}}}} Jim - your's be a different kinda crosstraining these days, huh! 3.36 moderate paced Mairead miles this am in the dawn frosty (Spring?!) air.....plus did 3.29 w/Snug Runners last night @ 10:18 pc....little better....Mairead is getting more popular! Thought we'd have a lighter crowd due to snow showers/squall that rolled through beforehand, but not so much! Guess I'm not the only crazy runner out there!! Sign in count was 175 people! so, I deliberately started towards the back of the lead pack & Mairead did much better w/that! Have a Great Weekend everybody!! Cindy
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Rain yest so in the office, 4.1 sloooow miles this morn. Here are some great posters, here is one for customer service. Some of my suppliers could qualify for this award as well as Two Butt Cheeks boutique. http://www.despair.com/cudi.html and another http://www.despair.com/ap24x30prin.html

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jewels - First - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Second - Do you do any kind of strength training/cross training? If you’re just running, in my opinion, you’re doing your body a real disservice. Until now, my schedule has looked like this for quite awhile: Mon - Tempo run (about 5 miles for me) OR Strides (gag me) Tues - Cardio (I do aerobics at home) Wed - Rest Thurs - Hill Repeats Fri - Strength Training Sat - Long Run Sun - Rest I think strength training is very important for running, and cardio gives your body a workout, but gives it a break from running. There was an article Coolrunning at one point that specifically talked about strength training for runners and its benefits. It really does help build endurance in your legs. My strength training consists of squats, lunges, calf raises, hamstring work, abductor and adductor work on the legs, shin strengthening, core and back strengthening (planks, bicycles, etc.), as well as all the upper body stuff and now lots of stability work. A good workout for the arms is to stand with your legs hip width apart, slightly bent at the knee, 5 lb. weights (or less) in each hand, then swing your arms to and fro like you would running, working up to 2 or 3 repetitions of 50 each. Speed work also helps with endurance (as well as making you faster). However, unless you have at least a year of good running under your belt, you shouldn’t be attempting speed work. Play around with your schedule. Maybe back off the mileage for a couple of weeks - keep at about 3-4 miles, then each week add a ½ mile while incorporating alternative workouts. You really have to give your legs a chance to get used to this idea of carrying you at a faster pace than they’ve been used to all your life. And I will also put my 2 cents worth in re stretching. Time and again I’ve had people tell me stretching isn’t important. My friend Karen refuses to stretch unless she’s injured. But I’m here to tell you, it is one of the most important things you can do for your body. I can always tell a difference in my body later in the day if I don’t stretch enough after a workout. You ask almost any professional athlete and they will tell you how important stretching is. Every PT I’ve ever talked to, every sports massage therapist (help me out here, Cindy!) I’ve gone to - they all say the same thing: Stretching is a very important component to keeping the body healthy. (Okay, I’m off my soapbox.) Big grin I don’t know if any of this helps, but feel free to email me if you have any other questions. ----------------- So this week will be my first with back-to-back long runs. Did an hour this a.m. and ran 5.56 miles. I was very happy with that considering how freaking sore and tired my legs and butt are. I need a handicap bar next to the toilet in my bathroom! I can feel these exercises all across my lower to mid back, as well, so I know they’re working. Tomorrow will be interesting as we have a 2-hour run on trails. Coach Bill will be joining us, and I have a feeling I’ll be telling him and Karen to “run along ahead and I’ll catch up with you later.” I plan to go home afterward and pass out 'cause right now I feel like road kill. Actually, road kill probably feels better than me 'cause its dead and can't feel anything! Farmer Jim - “It’s busy in Nebraska , gotta run.” No pun intended??? Also loved “the Young and the Prom Dressless” and Ms. Smashing Butt Cheeks. You are rare form!! Have a great Friday!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - glad to hear your knee is on the mend. That was pretty scary for awhile! Sounds like you're going to be fine in the long run. Maybe a fall marathon? Leslie - you're making me tired. I need to be more like you and get back to the weights. Salty D - you're making me tired, too.... Big grin Big grin Big grin Jewels - Have fun and happy anniversary! 25 is a big number! As for me, I also feel it first in the legs, they start to get a little achy...but nonetheless, everytime I increase my long run, that achiness starts later and later in the run. So a few months ago, I would start to feel it at 4 or 5 mi, now it's more like 10. Did something new on Wed., was supposed to do 6 mi easy with a friend, but she's always a flake so I went out in the am and did my 6. Well, she turns up right on time and so I ended up doing another 6 in the evening! I was a little worried about it, but it felt fine. I'm not sure how to log such a thing, it looks like I did a 12 that day on my log summary, but it sure felt a lot easier than 12 all at once. Arla

Ex runner

So that's how you feel when properly hydrated!! Big grin Hit the nail on the head today. Goal: 6 oz every 15 minutes, 24 oz in an hour. Two-hour trail run: drank 48 oz. Whatta difference! My legs are pooped just from all the PT and running this week, but they don't feel like a truck ran over them. It's great! I then went for a 50 min massage. It wasn't the best massage I've ever experienced, but it'll do since it was free. Found a gift certificate that had been given to me a looong time ago for the local "spa." Let's just say they're more into the "pamper" stuff than the actually meat and potatoes for a massage. But I did almost fall asleep, and I did almost have snot and drool coming from the appropriate orifices, so that's a plus. Clowning around Karen and I took pictures of ourselves, front, back, and sides, in our underwear today and measured our calves, thighs, hips, waists, and biceps. We're going to do it all again the weekend before our Forest Park run. Want to see how much our bodies change over the next 2 months. The final results should be interesting. Here's hoping for positive improvement! We also weighed ourselves, but her scale weighs 2.5 pounds heavier than mine. . . . . I think I'll go with mine. Smile Hope everyone's weekend is going well . . . Later!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance