Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.7.14 (Read 38 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tet--amazing story.  Glad you were able to stay long enough for the bird to be taken care of.  Sure hope rehab works.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice b-day present Leslie.

Tet - wonderful description.  You are very brave.  There was a kestrel that lived in a perch halfway up a smokestack in downtown Toronto when I was there - could watch it everyday outside the apartment window.  Perhaps your raptor is a city bird too.

Tramps, I was wondering if maybe the dog misjudged his trajectory - perhaps you stopped suddenly, and that is why he rammed into you.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

blazin, nice run with your daughter.  Mike, your track results sound good.  Aamos sounds like a fun fun run.  tet, I enjoyed hearing your peregrine falcon adventure.

Nice long runs for Aamos and pfriese.  Good job on the speedwork for Twocat, Aamos, and enke.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  I did 10 miles at an 11:20 pace.  For quite awhile now, I've been debating whether to do the Crim 10 miler this year.  Running has seemed hard and I've only done a few 10 mile runs this year.  With the race 2 weeks from this Saturday, completing 10 miles this morning has about convinced me I can do the Crim and should sign up.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

BTY

Tom - Do it! Do it! Do it!

6 miles today including 4.5 in progression.  Goal was 8:40 / 30 / 20 / 10 and a 4:00 final 1/2 mile.  I was slightly faster at 8:38 / 27 / 13 / 7:57 (3:54 1/2 mile).  The trick was, about 2 miles into my run, a friend of mine who is *much* faster caught up to me doing his prep for an easy 5k race tonight, and asked if I minded the company.  I told him my plan and he offered to pace me.   You can see what having someone run very casually as I hunkered into the final 2.5 miles did to my pacing.  Last year he ran a local 15k in 59:59 (not a PR) and I finished it in somewhere around 78:00, so you can see the disparity between us.

Sayhey! MM#130

Outstanding Tet, just outstanding.  Spareribs

Really.  Thanks for letting us in on the drama.  Hope you can find out how this comes out.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure nobody is going to top that story today!

coastwalker if you flying mouse friend left the house that easily count yourself lucky!  I had a bat once in the house and it took a whole lot more than leaving a window open to get it to leave.  No cat though.  Maybe that would have helped!

AamosY I want to live on the seacoast how is that for a cause?  You know a nice house on say two acres with a private beach.  Can I get the money you raise?  It is for a good (certainly in my view) cause.  Heck, I would even come up and help cook!  

fatozzig in my house my DW and I have to make plans in order to finally do a trip together!  For the most part our trips are solo adventures.

Yesterday's excitement in my life was getting caught in a rain storm that seemed to come out of nowhere and dropped about a half inch of rain in under 30 minutes before blowing away.  The good news is I had left the grill open when I went out (hey it was sunny then!).  That meant the water poured into the grill flooding the grease trap.  That in turn spilled grease all over the grill tools stored in the cabinet under the grill.  Last, but certainly not least, I then got to drain the overflowing grease trap and clean out the cabinet and all the tools!  Yahoo!    What a mess!  Today, so far, has been a lot less eventful.  I decided to do 14 miles on the grounds that I am way behind where I need to be endurance wise if I am going to do a fall marathon.  The run went well.  Here in CT the weather is just gorgeous today!  Warm and the humidity is pretty low.  I also tried out a new pair of sneakers, Mizuno Hitogami.  So far so good, but I had the forefoot tied a bit tight.  Ouch!  Easy to fix on the run.  All my problems should be this hard to cure and this clean and dry as well!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure nobody is going to top that story today!

Indeed!  Wow!

Leslie - that is great - enjoy!

Today my stepdad had cataract surgery, and I took him there early, got him settled, left for a couple hours to work from my home computer, then went back to get him, got him settled at home, went to work for a client meeting, then came back and got SD to take him for the follow-up visit to the doctor, then back home to work a couple more hours on the computer.  So, no run today.  However, I am heading out now for a 45-minute weight training class.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

This will be a fast post since life is busy in the Posie clan's communal house . Of course having 6+ people to cook for every night is one of my delights this week. I keep being inspired by our friends' attitude about their loss.

7 miles with 6x800m at 7:30 pace (yeah, that pace surprised me a lot ).

I will have to catch up here later. In weeks like this  one really appreciates the summary we get from Jay every morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I was going to try to make up a story to top tet's...but I couldn't come up with anything...that was very cool.

Short run, tonight.  I'm trying to take it easy so I have fresh legs for Saturday's 10k...but, man do they feel beat up.

That's all I got.  See ya!

SteveP

very kind hearted of you Tet.

I'm so happy for you Leslie.

SteveP