Masters Running

Fryday, 3.18.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So joggers bounce up and down at stoplights, runners just stand there looking pissed, and ultra runners sit and have a snack...

(okay, I know there are no stoplights on the trails.)

I don't have any stoplights on my training routes either, so I just keep going - and I don't get a snack.

It's fun to read the other interesting perspectives on running vs jogging. While there likely are definitions of the two (I was too lazy/busy to look it up), and Tet probably got closest to that, I like Holly's thought that it is mostly a matter of perception.

Great photo of Ribs, The Saint and Lou and Harriet! Also of Mariposai and EP, and of Steve, AD and GS#1!

Looks like we're having a spate of physical and technological issues. Are the stars misaligned or something?

Welcome Spinach! It's great that Mike will have someone here to maybe meet up with and even race with on occasion. Meanwhile, I hope your foot heals up quickly.

6.3 RW miles at J o'clock this morning in 43F temps, and under overcast skies. What ached after Sunday's race doesn't ache so much any more, but I also don't have any speed: I didn't check my splits till after I was done this morning, and was slower than I thought. I have a couple of weeks before my next race, so I can (and should) take my time getting back up to speed.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

6 mile jog with some fartleks thrown in for fun.

The temps have been all over the place. One day I'm in shorts, the next I'm looking for my warmest running pants.

I still haven't adjusted to DST. At least the dog hasn't either, she's no longer whining at our door at 3:30 am since it's not her 3:30 am anymore.

Marathon Maniac #957

You know, I never thought about how our pets adjust to DST.

We have been watching my stepdad's Pekinese since January, while he and his fiancée went to Florida to be warm.  The condo they were staying in had stairs, and he didn't think his fat old dog could make it up and down, so the dog stayed with us.  He's not a bad dog, really, but dealing with 3 hungry dogs in the morning, one of whom I have to separate because he eats too slow (the Pekinese), before I have had my coffee, is tough on me.  Plus, ever since I caught him eating poop in the backyard, I am a little grossed out.  My dogs probably eat poop, too, but at least they have had the grace to do it when I am not looking.  At any rate, my SD has returned, and he came back for his dog this morning.  Whew!

7 miles for me today in 39 degrees.  Much slower than yesterday and less energetic.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My dogs probably eat poop, too, but at least they have had the grace to do it when I am not looking.  

Oh, this gave me real good chuckle this a.m.  Thanks, Holly     Reasons Dogs Eat Poop

Wild - Great description yesterday!

Spinach - I wasn't sure when you'd popped in here since I hadn't been in for a few days, but WELCOME!  (And watch out for the MikeE guy.  Just sayin' . . . .)

Well, my Garmin decided to start working right again.    Hopefully it stays happy for my race this weekend.

That's about it.  I'm packed and ready to head East for what should be a great time tomorrow.

Have a grand weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whoops, I got the pictures of ribs mixed up

my bad.

Even though I’ve never heard of a dog doing that, even the ones who don’t roll around up here love to roll round on the stream banks in the summer in rotten salmon that exiles them to the yard for at least a couple of days. Smelly or not, my GrmShpd-lab mix once saved my skin out in the same Kinkaid Park I was telling MikeE about when one of the cows with two calves decided to charge at me instead of running away with her calves.
            Lots of things I don’t like about the old home town that only had a population of 8,000 in my six-year-old days to now becoming 32,000 for GS’s equivalent time but getting to take him to the city ice-skating rink yesterday after school and the city’s second swimming pool just a ten minute walk on the way to school (or 3-minute drive) near his house now aren’t two of them.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild great post yesterday! You are a real stitch!   I need to figure out how to get "joggers bounce up and down at stoplights, runners just stand there looking pissed, and ultra runners sit and have a snack" on to somewhere more permanent than the daily.

Mike E good point! Vote for Walking! Oh yeah, no politics. 

spinach where do you teach? We have this week and next week "off". Of course, that just means we have other weeks on that you likely have off.

Eliptical day for me. Today's, or perhaps yesterday's, entry in the annals of frustration I would like to add, rushing home to meet the plumber who then cancels and asks to reschedule for the next day. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spinach

Thanks for the welcome you all.  I hope to be around for a while.

Mike, I am up in the St Cloud area with the River Runners/ Endurunce Shop team.  I do run some races in the Cities throughout the year and so I hope I do run into you one of these days, the way I did with HermosaBoy a couple times.

Probably no running today, I usually take Mondays and Fridays off but my dog may want to go out for a short run this afternoon and he needs to stretch out his legs. With Easter break next week, I may be getting home early this afternoon to take him out.

TammyinGP

Hi spinach. although I live in Oregon now, I grew up in MN also (went to Blaine HS and then U of M), but most of my family is still in the Princeton/St. Cloud area. Both parents went to Princeton HS and then my dad went to SCSU and mom went to beauty school in St. Cloud. He's still a HUGE SCSU hockey fan (he has a SCSU Hockey jersey hanging up in his mancave). No one out here in So. Oregon understand his love for hockey though. lol.   Nice to have you here.

Tammy

Welcome to the group, Spinach.  I am from SW MN but do get up to the Cities several times a year to visit our six grandchildren (and their parents).  We are heading up to a Minnesota Wild game tomorrow, then a birthday party and finally time to see the newest grandson.

Leslie, we had a dog that did that too, the vet can actually prescribe medicine that makes their poop taste bad.  Have a great race, glad that the Garmin is working again.  I have a 910XT and like it, but wish it was smaller.

Twocat, I recall a thread on CoolRunning called "You know you are a runner when....."

Erika, gosh what a scare on the trail!  We were in Alaska for two weeks and only saw moose once, twice if you count that game refuge you pay to drive through.

Slo - How's the training for Green Bay?  I am nearly done with week 3 of 12 for the half. My foot actually feels pretty good this week. I'm going to bike at lunch then will run the lake after work. It was way too windy to run outside on Wednesday so I did the intervals on the TM at the Y again. I am super slow but managed 6 x 400 at 10:31 pace.

Have a great weekend everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya!

Whoa, Erika, .  I just took a photo of a little gator when I when for a walk on my break here at work this afternoon, but s/he's on the other side of the pond.

Funny thing, there's a bird hanging out nearby (they're both on the shore).  Gator must be full.

O, Kirsten, Ribs had posted about horseradish.  I love most things piquant and spicy and peppy.

Yeah, how is the training going for GB, Slo?  Inquiring minds.......  (I signed up for a 5K tomorrow.  Just cuz of you and stumps. )  Then going down to Marco island Sunday for a half.  That's where a lot of fancy folks live-- Judge Judy and John Boehner have houses there.    It's a decent course, and only an hour or so drive.

MAnaged to get in 8 this am, but slow, as I did get over to Lakes Park last evening.  It's so nice running now, and it's going to get humid real soon, so I just want to be out there.

Weekend is about to land here on the east coast!!!  Yay!!

Anyone else read Fates and Furies lately?  It's gotten some hype, and you know how that is, so I don't know if it was over hyped or just me, but I didn't love it or the characters.

Happy rest o' Friday,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

spinach

I went out with my dog when I got home. Unfortunately we had a wet snow or rain. we got wet but survived.

Tammy, did you hear that SCSU is cancelling the track and cross country teams as well as a few other sports to save some money next year. That is quite a disappointment, and doesn't make a lot of sense.  If you need to save some money in the Athletic department, why cancel the cheapest sports.  They would save a lot more if the cancelled football.

Hey Spinach - another welcome from someone "one state over." And don't listen to anything Mike says about Packer fans. None of it is true!

Lots to comment on but it's been a long day and my memory is short. Good luck to Leslie, Aamos and anyone else racing this weekend.  Loved the picture of Mr. and Mrs. Ribs with WRFB and PDR. And I'd like Ribs' recipe for horseradish. Glad Steven is on the mend - he's got the best nurse in the country and Starr's foot is feeling better. You'd think a dog that was a guest at your house would be on his best behavior Holly

So glad it's Friday. Between jobs, helping the kids move and remodel their house, I'm wiped. I was supposed to have my 3 grandsons all day tomorrow while mom worked and dad was busy at their new house but she just texted me. All of them have head lice! The oldest picked it up at school and promptly gave it to his brothers. Now they're busy stripping sheets, doing laundry, washing and cutting hair and combing all of the little buggers out. Like this family needed any more stress in their lives right now.... I offered to go to their place tomorrow and hang out while DS#1 got some painting done at the new house. DH does NOT want them here!

I have a question:  I have an old-fashioned Forerunner 110 that has worked just fine - up until daylight savings time. In the past, I've just put the watch in the charger and it automatically corrected to the change in time but for some reason, it didn't do it this year. I tried to reset the time the old-fashioned way but it's not working. It's an old Garmin but I don't need all the bells and whistles of a new one. I would like to have the correct time though, and would really prefer to not have to wait until next November when we go back to CST   Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any help you could give me.

I suspect a lot of people's NCAA brackets are ruined already!  I had Michigan State in the championship game.  Oh well, go Oregon!

Mike E

MM #5615

I have a feeling spinach knows all about Packer fans.

Head lice!  Over the years, with Debbie's daycare business, we have had our battles with that.  It is terrible!  Especially when some of the daycare parents didn't understand exactly what they had to do to get rid of it.  So, of course, they would bring it right back.  It's been a few years, now, but we are always on the lookout for it.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.

Oh--hey, spinach--you must know Wanda G.  Yeah, she beat me at the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon...I'm still pretty bitter...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Whoops. 
                              Michigan State upset happened too early as I had Oregon upsetting them in the final.

Should have known too that the so-called “champions-of-the-west”

would let Notre Dame beat them. oh well.
                              Great after-meeting swimming pool time today

made even better with more meetings next week

meaning getting to take GS skiing this weekend

for his first time on the alpines.  yippee. 
                              I’ll miss the annual MI Half Mary I’ve been doing for over 20 years

whenever it works out with my now 85-yo IM mentor and his my age

<<<(72)>>> longtime GF but no excuse is too feeble for some GS time.
                              Great time swimming after school today has become even better now that he passed the 48" tall test and can use the Big Red Water Slide so all I have to do is stand at the bottom and catch him.  Got him signed up for swimming lessons starting twice a week in April so he’ll be on his own not needing me anymore when I get back this summer. Bitter sweet pride.
                              Okay, in my defense, I’d already flown the six hour trip by myself on a PanAm DC-3 in those days when I was his age with only the stewardesses watching out for me to visit my GP in Seattle and, besides that, he was already showered, wet and ready to have me as his adult accompaniment into the pool when someone <<<(that would be me)>>> realized swimming trunks were missing. 
                              I said, “sit tight while I run out to the car and see if they’re there.”

Unfortunately, NOT so, rather than getting him dried off and dressed to come back with me, I zipped the convenient, five minute drive back to the house in three minutes to grab them and get back before he noticed.  Worked fine and we had a great time, . . . until we got back and I had my first capital letter e-mail awaiting.   whoops
                              RE:  COMMON SENSE
                              DEAR DAD:
                              NEVER EVER LEAVE MY SON ANYWHERE WITH STRANGERS!!!!
                              THAT IS A GOOD WAY TO NEVER DO ANYTHING ALONE
                              WITH HIM AGAIN. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
                              USE YOUR BRAIN IF YOU HAVE ONE.
                              IT’S NOT A SMALL TOWN ANYMORE.
                              HE IS A CHILD, 6 YEARS OLD!!!!
                              THANK U
                              LOVE U

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Tet}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."