Masters Running

Cold Thursday January 3rd (Read 354 times)

Went for a run in chilly minus 24C weather this morning...brr...a great 5-6k. Felt awesome strong legs and a healthy heart. Those tons of squats over the last year have helped the legs. Have a great day everyone...off to work to bring in some moola.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Dave59

Hi Tall.  Good to see you posting and starting the daily.  What is that in real degrees? Joking

Light snow and 21° (F) for my easy 3.55 miles.

If my feeble understanding of the bathroom remodel job is right, I think I get a sink and toilet today.  Shower door went up yesterday and will be usable later today.  No mirror's or knobs on the cabinet but I can live without those.  It's having to go downstairs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night that I would like to be done with.  What's it been anyway, 4-5 months since the pipe broke in there and started this whole craziness??  I don't even know anymore.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

-24C is -11.2F That's insanely cold in any language, and on any thermometer! Way to tough it out, Tall!

Best wishes to Leslie's DB & his DW, and to Jlynne's friend. Get well, Mainrunnah!

Glad your making progress on the bathroom remodel, Dave.

Congrats on staying upright on the XC skis, BerthaSlayer!

No Christmas tree for us this year, so no lights to worry about.

It was a balmy 3F with a NW wind (even though the Weather Channel said it was 'calm') at 4:30 this morning, so I put on an extra shirt and my heavyweight tights. I went 4.65 racewalking miles, and I kept the pace up to keep my body's furnace cranking. I was fine except when walking into the wind, where, for the first time, my eyeballs hurt from the cold! I could see fog on the ocean in the bright moonlight, but then I realized it was steam because as cold as the ocean is, it was so much warmer than the air temp this morning. I saw a bright yellow shooting star come down in front of me at one point, and that put a smile on my frozen face. Odd that there were no other runners/walkers out this morning...

Have a greta day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morining to all the cold weather runners.  Congrats to the more miles than degrees folks.  (even if sticking your head out the door at  (-)11°F qualifies you)  Sure glad to hear that your heart is treating you well, Tall.

a Balmy 7°F for me this morning.  only 3.3 miles so no MMTD for me.  I impressed myself by hitting the layering just right and ended up almost hot by the end--even feet and hands.  Only major problem was having my glasses steam up when I pulled the balaclava up over my nose.  I was thinking that I should have put in my contacts, but was wondering if they might freeeze to the eveballs.  Anyone else have experieince with this?

We delighted the tree last night and it will make its trail of needles out the front door tonight in time for pickup--our town collects them and shreds them at the pit where all lawn and leaf refuse ends up.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Good morning.  Not really cold here. Typical mid-30s.  IRC as far as I'm concerned.

Our tree will come down in bits during lulls in football games this weekend.

I'm loosely adopting some elements of the Hanson plan this cycle, mostly just to mix things up.  One element is more MP work, which was on the agenda this morning.  A 10-miler with 6 of them at MP pace.  Felt comfortable throughout.  Now if I can just work on the other 20.2 miles. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning gentlemen. Nice to see Tall start the daily. It's good to see so many of you get out there when the temps drop below zero. It was snowing here this morning so I opted for a cross training day. The back surgery I had two years ago has made me nervous about running on snow and ice. Almost to the point of being paranoid. Wish I could get over that because I really don't like Yaxtrax. And I HATE treadmills.

Tramps - this may be a stupid question from someone who doesn't know much about training plans, but what is the Hanson program?

Our tree went out to the curb two days after Christmas Blush

5 miles of intervals on the eliptical this morning, 2 miles on the recumbant bike and upper body weights. Oh - and my plank.

Have a great day everyone.

Dave59

Tramps - this may be a stupid question from someone who doesn't know much about training plans, but what is the Hanson program?

You either become a good runner or you die.  People I now on the plan are perpetually running on tired legs.  (If I am right, the Hanson brothers are from Michigan.)  They have a lot of success with the elite class of runners with high placings at the big marathons.

janie b good

18*F here... and yet i was still too much of a baby to run outside.  YAY to all you BRAVE SOULS who went out!

3.3 t'mill miles; 60 sec plank.  gym wasn't near as crowded as i expected.  maybe everyone was still sleeping at 9 am.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Tramps

Well, I'm no expert on this stuff but.... it's a bit of a fad du jour but a sound basic approach that began with elite training but has been adapted for (and marketed to) the masses.  (The book is here.)  This has generated some interesting threads in the main forum.  (just search for "Hanson" or here's the best Hanson vs. Pfitz thread.)

My basic takeaways include:

1) a reduced emphasis on the long run in favor of a more "balanced" week  (Really just a reminder that the LR shouldn't be more than about 20-30% of weekly mileage.)

2) less running at tempo pace (i.e.  about HM pace) in favor of more running at "tempo MP" pace (an awkward oxymoron; tempo pace is NOT MP pace)

3) a belief that running on tired legs is important to simulate late marathon conditions.  So you go into a (shorter) long run with already somewhat tired legs (cumulative fatigue). This is not unlike Higdon's approach.

It's a relatively simple, repetitive plan which is how I like to keep things.  I've done Pfitz (more or less) for a few cycles now, so I thought I'd mix it up and see how it feels.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

I ran last night in the freezing cold (it must have been 40 degrees!!) and tonight I will wear more layers.  Big grin

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

About 32 degrees but sunny and no wind, so I call that IRC.   3.4 miles on still dead legs, but I should be okay tomorrow.

For our anniversary the boys gave us an afternoon of Whirly-Ball with the whole family and some friends, two teams of 5 each.  If you haven't heard of this think of playing polo from Bumpa-Cars.   But instead of a polo mallet you get a sort of jai alai basket and you compete to put a ball into the goal at your end of the arena.  Full report tomorrow.

Here is the follow-up post to the 2013 ideas to make your running better.  Hope some of them resonate with you.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/five-more-tips-to-improve-your-running-in-2013.html/

Spareribs

Tramps

Here is the follow-up post to the 2013 ideas to make your running better.  Hope some of them resonate with you.

Nice pieces.

The one area where I'd differ is with buying shoes so frequently. In the last few years, I've extended the life of my shoes further and further.  Part of it was prompted by Perch, who runs in shoes until they disintegrate.  Part by the interesting ideas about the benefits of minimalist shoes. Part by the price tag of new shoes.  I find that I can easily get 1000 miles out of a pair of shoes (I usually run in what are now the Asics 1000).  Yes, by the end they've lost much of their cushioning but I've essentially produced low-cost minimalist shoes!  I run a lot of my easy miles on the dirt road on which I live. I rotate a couple of pairs and wear the better ones when I run on pavement.  All of these variables may be important.  I just think people needn't be a slave to the 300-500 mile theory of shoes. YMMV, literally.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Nice pieces.

The one area where I'd differ is with buying shoes so frequently. In the last few years, I've extended the life of my shoes further and further.  Part of it was prompted by Perch, who runs in shoes until they disintegrate.  Part by the interesting ideas about the benefits of minimalist shoes. Part by the price tag of new shoes.  I find that I can easily get 1000 miles out of a pair of shoes (I usually run in what are now the Asics 1000).  Yes, by the end they've lost much of their cushioning but I've essentially produced low-cost minimalist shoes!  I run a lot of my easy miles on the dirt road on which I live. I rotate a couple of pairs and wear the better ones when I run on pavement.  All of these variables may be important.  I just think people needn't be a slave to the 300-500 mile theory of shoes. YMMV, literally.

+1...On almost everything.

I have found a brand and model of shoe that I have a hard time getting much more than 600 miles out of and that is Mizuno Wave Riders. I've found I can run the hell out of most any ASIC's, New Balance, Sacony, and most Brooks. (Upwards of 1000 or more miles)

One thing I do though is I rotate shoes. I have three pair in the rotation. Not a strict rotation but I generally run in a different shoe each outing. I also have a pair of 5k / 10k racers that do not see much training at all and my marathon shoes that I will do 1 or 2 long runs in prior to wearing them in the marathon. That's 5 pair of running shoes that are duty ready right now.

The shoes in rotation vary wildely in mileage so I'm not running on a "dead pair" all the time either.

I watch Running Warehouse for the closeouts. Buy last year models for 1/2 price. I'll buy shoes before I need them. Which came in handy this Christmas because a shoe box was just the right size box. Now I have a pair of Sacony's on the shelf that I can't stack anything on top of.

King of PhotoShop

I agree with both of you re the buying of shoes and total miles.  Since moving to a mid-foot strike my shoes last forever.  Unfortunately, the readers are not all in this group so I like to caution people with a heel strike and only a couple of pairs of shoes to consider not wearing the old ones forever.  Great points from both of you. Hoping I'll get similar comments on the blog post itself this week.  Spareribs

rhoon and Steve, your pictures are always enjoyable.  Jay, what a neat 5K with family members, including several who beat last year's times.  fatozzig, my thoughts are with your brother and his wife and your workplace.  jlynne, I'm also thinking of your friend.  maine, I hope you shake that chest cold quickly.  Tall, you sure got out in the cold.

Nice long run for Tramps.

This morning, it was about 20° and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS