Masters Running

Salt Tablets (Read 48 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I've been using S-caps for the last couple of summers, but now that my giant bottle is empty and it is time to renew my supply, I thought I would ask, what brands do you use for salt replenishment, and why do you like them?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM #6177

I've heard good things about Endurolytes, made by Hammer. Personally I'm not in the habit of using salt tablets but that's what we have in the house from when MrOM was training for NYC in 2011.

The only thing about Endurolytes is you'll generally have to use more than the S-caps, at least that's been my experience.  With S-caps, I can get away with 1/hour unless it's hot (well, hotter than I'm used to) and I'm sweating a lot.  If that happens, 2/hour.  Endurolytes - I'd  have to use twice as much.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

2014: May - MDW 70-Miles (w/Trail Factor 50k) - Cascade Crest, WA/Astoria, OR/Portland, OR

June 7 - Grasshopper Peak Redwoods Run 30k - Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA

July 12 - Mt. Hood 50 - Mt. Hood, OR

Oct 11 - Firetrails 50 - Lake Chabot, CA

"The farther you go outside, the farther you go inside." (Unknown)
        Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

Fatozzi

Do these various tablets require you to mix with water?  What then do you do during a race?  Or are they just pills you swallow?  I used to use Enlyten strips which I quite liked and those you tucked under your gum and let dissolve. They went under a few years ago.  Somebody must have eventually purchased the rights to them because they are back.  But now cost a ton of money for each pack!  There web page says $7/pack of 12 strips.  At that price you are looking at a $14 or so long run!  Me?  I am out and looking for a replacement.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Twocat

Marathon Maniac #957

S-caps are capsuls that you take with water, which could be kind of a pain during a race in which I was worried about speed.  I don't usually use them during a marathon because mostly marathons are in temps that are cool enough that I don't think I need them.  However, during long runs over the summer, training for a fall marathon, when it is much hotter and muggier, I don't mind stopping at a water fountain to dig out my bottle and take a capsule.  (I keep them in an empty medicine bottle in my belt on long runs.)  Also, there is a 50K that I have been doing in June - that has been very hot and muggy.  Last time I ran it, the temps were in the mid to upper 90's at the end.  Definitely needed salt pills for that one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...hi holly//.............check out ThermoTabs....buffered SaltTablets,

and

take them the night BEFORE the work out (via econo)

been using them since the 70's

...........I may be crippled, but luckily my Mind is intact.

.......yeah, RIGHT........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Grzldvt

I have been using S-caps and they really didn't solve my cramping problems.  Without fail I would cramp up around mile 23-24 of a marathon.

I am now trying Saltstick - http://www.saltstick.com.  Today I did 16 1/2 miles with the last 6 1/2 in some pretty serious hills in 75 degrees.  I took one every hours and the last one made me slightly nauseous.  I got to a place where I could get water and really stoked up.  That seemed to solve the problem. and I did not even come close to feeling any cramps.  What gets me just a bit excited these might solve my issue is I simply have not had time to do proper training for Big Sur, and am definitely going int this one in survival mode.  16 1/2 miles was definitely a stretch in 75 degree temps and not a sign of cramping.

Will be interesting to see what happens when I do a 20 miler next Sunday and then the marathon the following week.

27 Big Surs working on number 28

I like S-caps because you don't have to take as many capsules.  Since being diagnosed with hypertension a couple years ago, I have cut way back in training runs.  Tim Noakes (Waterlogged) points out that we get plenty of salt from our diet and sweating partly serves to get rid of the excess.