Masters Running

Wednesday 9/17/14 (Read 40 times)

King of PhotoShop

C-R. good choice, especially if they've dealt with the problem of the snakes they've had over the years. And the hotel is close to nearby good restaurants.

All summer long I've had the Dallas heat with no complaint. We're used to it. We also have a lot of humid days. But I'm in Tampa now, and it is wicked humid!  They had rain all day here so it is pretty miserable. But I'm not running tomorrow so I don't care.

A ton of emails and then I will be happy to get some sleep tonight.  Spareribs

BTY

PB Joe, that is certainly not the diagnosis I was anticipating - nor the attempted treatment - but so glad to hear you'll still ( able to run the marathon.

4.75 miles at give or take, 8:50 pace. Just what the doctor ordered - not quite recovery pace, just slow end of Easy. Probably will shoot for that pace on my first long training run on Monday.   Checked my log and other than 15ks twice a year and one half marathon, I haven't run 8 miles in almost 5 years.   Wow.

evanflein

Mariposai, the Equinox is this weekend, and after such a nice September and record setting heat last weekend, I'm afraid this Saturday's forecast is not looking good. 70% chance of steady rain starting after midnight and continuing all morning with showers in the afternoon. Rats. And it was looking not too bad earlier. And, unfortunately, this many days out (3), the forecast is probably pretty accurate. Oh well, at least it's rain and not snow and ice like last year. I'll definitely wear a hat.

Love the picture of Mr. C, Enke, and it sounds like you guys have a pretty good thing going. I know you don't want us jinxing anything, so that's all I'll say for now.

That's a lot of bike riding, Slo. Nice use of a day off. Excellent community project you're working on, too.

Amy, I know nuthin' about chia seeds, other than the chia pet ads. Annoying jingle. Other than that, no comment.

Today was our last Farmer's Market for the season. DH and I went there to get some stuff that didn't grow in our garden (hmm, almost everything this year) and food stands for lunch. Nice day. I can't believe it's going to turn to carp for the weekend. Oh well. I'll try to get out for a little run after work. If not, no biggie. Could be a rest day I guess.

Thanks for the ketchup Blazin!!

I'm here at work 7p-7a - my first night shift in years .....spent most of the day sleeping, resting or worrying about the drive home tomorrow morning --- that is the worst part of all to me!!   Enjoyed a nice stout and soak in the hot tub last night after track to help me sleep good and it did the trick!!

I'd love more details on the Vermont plans as well.   I'll be in Old Orchard Beach Maine that weekend but really contemplating the 2 hour drive up ...........things are kind of up in the air until my fil comes thru surgery tomorrow - he has a very large tumor on one of his kidneys so it's coming out.

Speaking of chia seeds -- I made a nice chia seed pudding with chocolate almond milk -- yummy!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, the picture of Mr. C was great, and I'm glad it's working out so well with him!  Good thing you didn't give up at door #19!

Erika, bummer about the forecast - hope they're wrong and the rain holds off a day.

PBJ, hope you heal up quick!

Deez, good luck to your FIL with the surgery!

I went rock climbing this morning for the first time since June.  Just a couple of easy pitches.  And I ran 6 miles this afternoon, admiring the golden aspen leaves!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker have I seen that avatar photo somewhere?  How the heck did you get anybody to hang out on a road to get a picture of you at Jay'O clock?

TammyinGP I hope the fires stay way far away from your house and the air quality does not deteriorate..

wildchild why most of us do not need to carry around food and water to last a week when we go to run. . . hmm . . . let me see . . . oh yea now I remember.  None of us, other than you, run up and down a few ski mountains as part of a short stroll. Yep, that is it!  

BTY good luck with your continued training.  Keep your fingers crossed and you will be on track for the 15k race.

enkephalin I am glad that it is so far so good with you and Mr. C.

Mike E somehow I suspect you would be ready to run and win your AG if you spent the weeks before drinking beer and watching TV.

Mariposai whatever are you talking about!?  I just reported what happened.

StarrRuns nice to have a run like that, means that whatever you are doing you feel good.  Good luck with the race and happy future camping!

tetsujin209 umm, uh, have you read any of your race summaries?  How about just your daily post, like say the one you have up today?

BlazinCajun so is the secret to getting you to start the daily to ask where you are?  Or, does this work like the State Farm commercials?  If we sing "and BlazinCajun is there" will you appear next to the car along the road?

Slo_Hand harvest volunteers . . . sounds like the plot of a bad horror movie.  Actually, I think it may have been the plot of a bad horror movie.  Do you own a hockey mask?

Spareribs what jokes?    Hot, humid.  Oh if only it would stay that way here where I am.  The trees, a few are already beginning to turn.  

AamosY here I thought there were just chia pets?  You can eat a chia pet?  Might be a big crunchy, the clay and all.

tselbs you mean seeing your grandkids beats posting on the RA daily?  Harumph!  

tomwhite dental surgery, my deepest sympathies.  Heal up fast!

PBJ good luck on a speedy recovery.  Just be careful to let yourself heal up.

henrun good luck on your Achilles.  It is tough, but my last bout I just stopped running for 6 weeks and was fine thereafter.  No PT, no nothing special.

Holly S. cold, cold, cold is perfect running weather!?  Maybe perfect running away to an airport to head south running weather.  Running, running though . . . brrrr . . . 

BTY good luck on your first long training run!  The first one is always tough, but it is nice to get started on a new cycle.

evanflein there is the option to skip the race if it is raining.  Yea, you will get a lot of flack from the folks around here (boy do I know!) but you do get to avoid running in the rain!  I personally, go for the flack.

deez4boyz glad to see you used the RTBR race to train up for your night shift.  See folks relay races are not just for fun!  They are good for your career too!  

Today I decided to do my long run for the week.  It was 19 miles and I finished in under a 9 m/m pace.  I am really pumped about that.  Plus, I ran up the last two hills on my route with relative ease (and Mariposai will testify that they are not easy hills at the end of a long run).  I did not lose a beat during the climbs.  I signed up for a 30k that will take place this Sunday.  If it goes as well as my relay legs a few days ago and my run today it will mean I am on a good track for my fall marathon.  Right now it looks like I will shoot for Savannah Georgia.  That and, of course, a trip to Paula Dean's restaurant.  I have to see what a whole menu based on a stick of butter and a deep fryer is like!  Post marathon that is!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PBJ, glad your doctor said you could still run.

Erica, that is a bummer about the weather. I can't imagine what that trail will look like after all those runners in the rain.  Maybe, just maybe they got the forecast wrong.

Slo, how many breaks do  you take on that long of a ride? What was your average pace? Hope you get your needed volunteers to show up for the trail project. Maybe a crew from the corrections department can bring some people out.

Amy, I am glad to see you are going to Thunder Bay. Are you coming via the Twin Cities? I haven't been there, but the drive along the North Shore of Lake Superior is quite scenic.  The Pigeon Falls near the border are worth a stop. I think that's the right name. Anyway, it is up by Grand Portage National Monument.

Henrun, 3 miles is great, I am glad you are getting out there. You guys sound like you have a lot of fun.

Tonight was another gorgeous evening.  I went for a bike ride since it's been a couple of weeks since I was on it.  I tried to push the pace, but there are some incredible stupid people out on the bike/walking path.  The two gals walking backwards towards me got the award tonight. 12 miles at 15.2 mph despite the traffic.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

C-R

Wait. What? Snakes? It's Boston. What kind of reptiles would live there. Oh boy. Thanks Ribs.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's sure nice haing jay, blazin', twocat, TomS and others recapping the posts I miss even when I don't miss them or even when I write them.

However, umm, twocat, uh, have you read what your wrote about erika not running because of some rain when some of her runs rank with the frozen faces of the Shackleton Expedition? If she didn't run because of some rain, her grandkids'd still be being teased about it 50 years from now.. Unlike living in the mega-metroplitan masses back there, nothin' anonymous about anything you do up in the northland. It's made me realize that, though I've vowed years ago not to run in the inclement weather we often get in winter marathons and ultras here in the PNW, I go out and get soaked and miserable anyway.  What's going on?

ps - congratulations on another successful RosieRuiz,  . . . and powerful running afterwards.

Sounds like a good marathon coming up in the deep south for you.

Hope the weather's okay for you and everyone erika.

Are you marathon or 50K or, knowing the mind set up there, have they added a 50M or 100M option yet?

evanflein there is the option to skip the race if it is raining.  Yea, you will get a lot of flack from the folks around here (boy do I know!) but you do get to avoid running in the rain!  I personally, go for the flack.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

PB Joe, that is certainly not the diagnosis I was anticipating - nor the attempted treatment - but so glad to hear you'll still ( able to run the marathon.

Same here. Just be careful as you run your marathon. We want to see you back at running healthy and no injuries.

I ran for a second time today  for 6.2 and no, I am not training for another relay. I am just on a quest to find a better route for the Autumn Leaf 5k and 10k. I think I found it tonight.

Off to create a new map to share with the local paper who so willingly is printing the map of the race course for me on their edition next week .

Erika, bummer about your Equinox weather, but I am sure you will run it faster than ever before.

Tetsujin, my bike Carmen is all geared up with your fantastic gifts of bike paraphernalia of years ago. I think we are almost ready for the bike race this weekend...Carmen just have a flat tire now, I need to learn how to fix flat tires  before the race.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nancy - what's the bike "race."

sure it's not a casual, recreational ride.

I don't even think there's any bike races around Seattle

and I've never been in any except for the cycle leg of triathlons

like I did every September with your DS David.

If you're a novice tire patcher, take it to a bike store maybe even for a tune-up

of the all the cables, gears, etc.to make sure, especially if it is a race.

Wow, good luck. Really?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ - ouch!  But I think that is good news, maybe?

Erika - blech, cold rain, the worst!  Maybe Caroline's idea of one of those disposable rain ponchos?  But around here, 3 days out can make a world of difference, so I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

4.7 miles for me on Wednesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What, no Thursday thread?

Erika, this morning's forecast for the wekend has been updated at NWS and they say most of the rain won't be until after 11 on Saturday morning. Hope they're right. OMG, otherwise that nightmare 20 miler of 2 weeks ago might be relived. I plan to have support at 9, maybe 12, and 18-22 for changes of clothing if need.