Masters Running

Turkey Trot Thursday (Read 302 times)

Slo

I slipped on my personalized Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Long Sleeve Tech Shirt and got a very easy 7 miles in this morning. Lots of walkers out. Lot's of Happy Thanksgiving wishing received and given

Happy Thanksgiving and Go Turkey Trotters!

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

DH works today (24 hour shift) so we had our Thanksgiving meal last night. I'm alone with a refrigerator full of leftovers. Yum.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving! 

We just put the turkey in the oven and now I have some time to relax and get ready for the madness that will soon arrive.  Most of the kids and grandkids will be here at 1:00.  Let's see...that's...oh, I guess it's only 20...22 counting Debbie and me.  Mikey, of course, is in Alaska and my one daughter had to go to Iowa to spend Thanksgiving with her DH's family, and one of my SILs has to work...so, yeah, I guess it's just 20.

I know it hasn't seemed like I'm very thankful for a whole lot lately, but I really am.  Sometimes I just let things keep me from seeing all of my blessings.  It's nice to have a special day come around to kick me in the butt and make me open my eyes.  I'll be seeing 20 of those blessings at 1.

Anyway--I just received the racing schedule for next year's circuit.  I think I'll go enter everything in on my calendar and figure out which ones I can make.  I'm thinking about blowing off the City of Lakes 25K on Sep 8th so I can down and do that 1/2 marathon that Slo helps run...we'll see.  I just hope I can stay healthy, next year.

Okay--that's it.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Tramps

Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you get some time to relax, reflect, and enjoy.

10.1 miles to start the day.  Unfortunately, the legs thought they had the day off.  Tough one.

Here's my favorite song about being grateful.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

That was cool.  Thanks Tramps!

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Thanksgiving!

DD and I ran/walked her first Turkey Trot this morning.  This year was the new record for registrants - 8600 people!  That's a lot to squeeze on a two-lane road as an out-and-back, so this year they did 3 waves.  We went out in the third wave.  I was a little alarmed by how sore my left hamstring was this morning, the most sore it has been since Sunday, which is strange, 4 days after the race.  And I took a rest day yesterday.  Anyway I went very slow and took short strides because that hurt less, and by the end of the race it seemed looser.

DD had done no training for this at all, but she was able to run much faster than me for short distances (even without a sore hamstring she can do this).  So she would walk and let me jog slowly ahead, then sprint to catch up, then walk again to let me get ahead, and so on, for the whole race.  At the end she sprinted about 100 yards ahead and probably finished about a minute before me.  My watch said 1:04:45, so a 12:55 pace - pretty good for her first effort at a 5-mile distance with no training.  Smile

Then I came home and cooked up a storm, and I believe I hear the first guests arriving, so I'd better go.  Of course I haven't spoken to my dad, but my niece and sister-in-law, nephew and his wife and 4 little boys are coming over, so we still have some family left that we get to visit with.  We really do have so much to be thankful for......

including all of YOU, dear friends, because I count each and every one of you a blessing in my life....

Enjoy your day....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

No Turkey trot around here, but I did trot alone for 8 miles before getting in the car and driving to son David's house in Seattle, which we are doing right now. The car smells heavenly since I am bringing the meal with us. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Hope all your runs are fast and your turkeys tasty!!

Took advantage of a 5K turkey trot around our lake this morning.  It starts about a 1/4 mile from home, so left home about 10 minutes before the start--no standing around getting cold.  Guess I don't run in a crowd very often--I can't claim Toms claim of seeing someone that he knows at every race.

Jay--I wore last year's Seacoast shirt (my favorite) and saw and said Hi to someone wearing this year's.  I didn't think you could get any brighter, but you did.Wink

I did manage to do my fastest 5K since last Thanksgiivng--27:16 by my garmin.  I was very happy with that after only about 3 weeks back to regular (semi) running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Holly, and congrats to your DD. You do know that she will eventually be outrunning you, right?

Met my goals in today's Turkey Trail Trot: don't fall; don't twist anything; run a good time; and have fun! It was a nice turnout in IRC with maybe 100 or so, but that was plenty for some of the narrow single-track on the route. I was familiar with most of the trails and can attest that the RD ran us up some of the toughest.

My DS got home after I went to bed last night, but it was a comfort to see his car in the driveway when I got up. Made me think of years when we waited late for him while he drove down in snowy weather. A big diff from today's sunny and 60!

So our turkey's in the oven and my MIL will be over in a couple hours for our usual holiday family foursome. So different from those of you with the big extended families. Pros and cons for either situation.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Bushrat Runner

Well...this turkey's going to go trot 10 miles or so...love Thanksgiving morning runs...

Current temps -2F (not bad) and blowing 15 mph (that's going to hurt a little bit...)

coastwalker

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Nice race for your DD, Holly, and a good muscle-loosener for you.

DW and I drove to Rochester, NH for the Free Fall Classic 5K - a wonderful, good sized (618 finishers) and very friendly turkey trot that prefer to the much larger races. We had IRC, with temps in the upper 30s, bright sunshine and no wind. The course is out-and-back and just about perfectly flat. I got to see lots of friends before the start, and signed up another woman for our racewalking clinics. I racewalked and DW walked/jogged.

Jay--I wore last year's Seacoast shirt (my favorite) and saw and said Hi to someone wearing this year's.  I didn't think you could get any brighter, but you did.Wink

Congrats on a great come-back run, Kevin! I also saw some of last year's and this year's Seacoast Half shirts at this race. We like bright. I wonder what color we'll go with next year? I opted to wear the white & black & grey shirt from my Great Bay 5K (along with shorts, gloves, and my Mizuno Wave Universe).

I finished in 31:27 for a 10:05 pace. According to Mr. Garmin, my last mile was 10:04, and the last 10th was 9:29 (which I'd love to be able to hold for the whole race). DW, who doesn't train, and enters a race about every 4-5 years or so, did well enough to finish 2nd/11 in her age group!

DW and one of my racewalking students had conspired to create something for me, which they gave me after the race. It is a gorgeous quilt of race shirts of mine that go back to the early 90s. DW had been sneaking shirts out of my drawer and getting them up to Sue for the quilt. And Sue did an amazing job of putting them all together. I am thankful for having such an amazing wife, and such good and talented friends.

OK - gotta cook. My job is the cranberry relish, sweet potato casserole, glazed green beans with crumbled gorgonzola, and glazed carrots with Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam. DW's doing the bird and stuffing, and made a couple of pies last night. Yumm...

I hope you're all having a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my RA friends.  I am blessed to have you in my life.

Holly - Congrats to you and your DD!

I've been enjoying my vacation. I didn't run Tues., even though I was suppose to, so am having to do 4 days in a row.  When I got up Tues., it was pouring buckets and the wind was fierce.  Not a good combination.  So what happened within an hour of getting cleaned up for the day?  The rain and wind stopped and it ended up being a gorgeous day!  The Hub was home, though, so we hung out together.  We made a couple of loaves of persimmon bread without killing each other, and I even went with him on a job.  He wielded his hedge trimmer while I cleaned up.  Chalk up another point for me as The Good Wife.

Yesterday it was 7 miles with 6 strides, and today was 4 EZ miles and about 30 min of lower body and core work. 

No big plans for today.  Will work on cleaning out the leftovers in the fridge.  The Hub's working for a couple of hours, and I'm . . . well, I'm sitting on my butt hanging out on the 'net.  Will have my dad up for dinner on Sunday since he always has to work on Thanksgiving. Depending on the weather, we'll either grill a tri-tip or throw a couple of chickens on the "set it and forget" (one of the best kitchen gadgets we've ever purchased!).  I also have a crisper full of root veggies to roast up.  Yum!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Well done Jay and Stumpy.  Holly, good for you and your daughter.  I'm going to write an article for my News here that all these local TT's are not really races at all.  They are events for families and relationships and reflection. You were one of those

My goal today was to work hard in our Dallas 8-mile Turkey Trot. I've been running hard and my legs are tired, but not sore. So while this was a B race for me it was important.  Since the big goal is to finally break 1:50 in the Dec. 9th Half as a post-surgery PR, (8:23 pace), I was hoping to run that pace for 8 miles today, and I did. I ran 1:06:24 (8:18/mile) and really happy about it.

My dr. has put me on BP medicine just about a week ago and I sure learned a lesson today. I got dizzy and a bit light-headed at 7 miles and kind of weaved around a bit, then after the race I cooled down with  a two mile slow jog and met up with some friends to chat.  All of a sudden I got the same feeling again and almost had to sit down, but then it passed.  No more taking the BP pill before a race! I go back to the cardiologist next month and will ask him about this, just to be safe but it scared the crap out of me for a bit.

Now off to SpareTire's house for turkey!  Everyone have a great day.  Hug your family.  Spareribs

Be safe Ribs...We love you

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!

If the coffee shop hadn't been open we would have run 7 miles this morning...6.35 miles and a mocha

This morning on FB I said I was thankful to be able to get up in the morning and run...I'm also thankful for my beautiful bride and two lovely daughters and a very understanding running partner named Terrance (T) who keeps me accountable and keeps pacing me even though I'm still very slow.

Gordon

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my virtual running family. I hope everyone is either in the process of enjoying a "roast beast" or will be soon.

How frightening Ribs. Take care and be sure to ask your doctor about those BP meds. We'd like to have you around to keep things lively around here.

Great effort by your DD Holly. I can tell she's going to take after her mother Smile

DH and I did a turkey trot this morning. He walked the two miler and I ran the five mile race. Finished in 45:40. Been running slower than molasses lately so I was pleased with my time. Absolutely unheard of weather conditions for November 22 in Wisconsin. It was 49° at 8:00 AM with a 20 mph "breeze" out of the south and clear blue skies. Then DH and I served Thanksgiving dinner at Lambeau Field. Every year they have an outreach dinner for people in the community who are down on their luck or have no one to be with on Thanksgiving. Say what you will about the Packers, I love that they offer up their stadium to do this every year. One of the diners came up to me to thank me for serving him dinner today. It made me cry. I have so much to be thankful for and too many times take this for granted.

Now off to cook my own turkey. Will and Ben are bringing their mom and dad, DS#2 and his roommate and DH and I will sit down later this afternoon.  Best wishes to all of you for a day filled with family and peace.