Masters Running

The last day of July daily, 7/31 (Read 35 times)

Mariposai beautiful cake!  Great to hear how much it brought in at the auction.

Ran 10 miles today.  It was my "long run" for the week.  Well you cannot go from 0 to 20 in no time!  Next week's long run will be 12 miles.  I added this plug in called Fellrnr Analytics to SportTracks.  It actually makes wearing a HRM worthwhile!  It uses the data it collects from the Garmin HRM to produce a number of fitness scores that have, I guess, been proposed.  Given how badly my running fitness had deteriorated it is a lot of fun to see the numbers climb week-after-week now!  Of course, at some point they will plateau and then it will be a lot less fun.  But in the meantime . . .   Here is what the graph looks like.

Fellrnr Analytics

I think that is a pretty cool toy!  The green line is "fitness" the red and blue lines are workout scores of some sort.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hello everybody!  It's the former Floridian, now Michigander checking in.  I don't think I've posted - nor read any of the RA posts - since we headed North back in May.  (I know.  Bad Byllger.)

Things are going good up here in Northern Michigan.  I'm greatly enjoying retirement, Deb is trying to work remotely - but the Technology issues of living out in the Boonies make it difficult for her.  Some days both the Internet and the Cell service is good and she can do anything she needs to.  But more often than not, one or the other (if not both!) are nearly unusable.

We're having to adjust to a "Summer" where 70° is considered a warm day.  (July up here feels like Feb. or March in S. Florida.)  But I'm not complaining.  I can do soooo much work outdoors that we could never do in the Summer down there.  Deb keeps saaying "This doesn't portend well for January".    How true.

We have a gigantic 12,500 gallon (at least) pond that I've been keeping up with.  Startup took about a week of solid work, but now everything's going well.  We just love sitting out on the deck and listening to the pond and it's waterfalls. We have the best Sunsets too.  Most everyday the sunset is to die for.  (Of course it happens at nearly 10 PM though - snooze city.)

I've been building a Shed from scratch to house my Lawn Tractor.  I've never done anything like this and no one would consider me a Handyman.  But so far, it's going great and I'm enjoying it and learning a lot.  (I'll post pictures when I can).

With the move and the activities we've been doing, I'm not running much.  I decided to NOT run the Chicago Marathon.  I just decided I didn't feel like working that hard.  Fitness runs from here on out.  It is very hilly here.  THAT is different ...,

I guess that's about it for now.  Missed y'all.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Cool!  Bhyll's back!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

congratulations brillium.

Are you the only Florida-to-Michigan retiree?

are you up in the UP?

Ribs too.

Is joe still on the daily streak list?

The stars are aligned for MikeE.

MikeMP ha doko desu ka?

With all three July runs in metric, no chance for primes this month.

Dave/tom - DGS is 900 miles away again.

Maybe more running'd help distract from missing him so much.

Not that we didn't make enough memories whale watching, two PR hikes (2mi/5mi), fishing, blueberry picking, swimming, tidal pool exploring, dog walking with their two huge malemutes, cooking breakfasts, chasing their two cats, eagles, water dippers (ouzels), glacier, HOpeful Falls, salmon spawning, salmon-salmon/salmon-trout fights, black bear and three cubs, friend's sailboat, catch-ball, last 0.2 marathon miles together,  paper-airplanes, reading about dinosaurs, cars, fish, etc.  I guess I was just too busy to do anthing he might have been interested in too.  BAD PAPO!

ps twocat - don't worry.  pretty soon you'll be old enough not to have to have a gremlin to tell you how much you''ve deteriorated.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

I'm always so impressed with the prolific writing...and reading..and running you all do in order to stay up to date with all of the goings-on in each other's lives. I often want to jump back into the daily but honestly the time commitment for simply running without reading and posting is challenging enough. Having said that, I'm going to slide in here behind Byll and maybe no one will notice.

Today I finished the mo.th of July with my first attempt at at a 20:00 tempo run in at least a year. I found that 7:30 pace is beyond me right now, at least under the conditions. I was able to run the first mile or so on pace but slowly dropped to closer to 7:45 over the next mile and change, stopping at 2.5 miles in 19:02.

Including the half mile dragassin' jog of shame to the finish, plus warmup and cool down miles, I completed 5 miles.   There,'s always next week.

evanflein

Thanks for posting the chart of primes, Carolyn. I knew what I needed, and proceeded to overshoot just a little. But, it's under 1/2 mile so we can just round down. 

Roger, no wonder you disappeared so fast! You kind of did the reverse of the run I did a few weeks ago. I much prefer that route in reverse (heh, mostly downhill). Good run for you, have fun at that 10k this weekend and yes, after you left me in the dust I remembered the hat and wanted to ask you about it. Yes, nicer than last year but I also prefer the plaque. I think I have 4 of those and then they stopped.

Nice to see Byll stop by, and BTY! Brian, don't worry about keeping up. I rarely do. Just come on in and tell us how you're doing. Been watching the shed progress on FB, Byll. Looking good! Hope you guys enjoy winter as much as you are the summer. Tell Deb enough already. Pull the plug.

4.2 easy peasy miles today, a nice sunny 70° and legs felt much better than yesterday (Ha, there's that BTY thing again!). Funny what slowing down and flattening out the terrain will do.

Hy byhll!

Go Mike!

Hi everyone, my omelet is done so just gonna post quick.

Thanks for the link to the article on intervals, twocat. I did find some good stuff Saved on my computer too. 400's don't make a lot of sense for the Half, but I am doing a 10K a week after that so training for both. Last night we had a couple over that we know from church. Bob is 76 and did the RAGBRAI this year. It was fun to hear his stories. They brought their bikes for a leisurely cruise on the trail, about 7 miles. Then we took them out for a boat ride around the lake. It was another perfect day weather-wise ( gotta learn how to bottle these up for January). Today was more of the same with a bike ride, then a 4.77 mile run, to get to that prime number! Yesterday I found out that I have mild arthritis in my hips and Trochanteric bursitis. I can have a shot of cortisone, but opted for Relafen, an anti-inflammatory. Tomwhite, where did you get those canes? He gave me one exercise to do 3 times a day. I practiced race-walking tonight but am not very good at it. 14:00 was the best I could do.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Bregnet!  We have missed you!  Awesome post with lots to comment on, but only enough time to say, HI! and tell Deb HI! Also, will you be hosting the party for next year's Traverse City race?  Just sayin"....

BTY - like Erika said, don't worry about keeping up, just pop in when you can.....

Twocat - love your graph!

45 minute weight training class tonight told me that I have been slacking....tomorrow's LR may be affected by sore glutes, but, oh well..that means it was a good class!

I sent DH to the store to get spinach seeds for my second crop, and he brought home mustard spinach.  Anyone have an opinion on that variety? I have never tried it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Good to hear from Brian!

Mariposai, that is one sweet cake! Nice bucks too.

Byll, great update.  I know what it feels like to all of a sudden get some pleasant temps after living in the heat. Make the most of it, and nice work on the shed. I saw the pics.

Steve, beautiful baby.

Tet, you probably missed the news two years ago, but Joe's streak ended two years ago today.

Hudson and I are in Omaha and he had a wonderful interview with the business school at Creighton. He was very impressed, and they were also with him.

I took today completely off from running. I was just flat out tired. But I'll get some miles in tomorrow morning before we head back to the school for the tour thing.  We had a fun dinner tonight, now back in the hotel.

Spareribs

mrrun

biking and farmer's market today - no runs.

we had a wonderful dinner with OM and DH - should be fun when they move up to the area.

waving shout-outs to everyone   !!!  Jay's on vacation for those who forgot,

marj

Mariposai

Hey Bregarcito is back!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yep...I might be tempted to eat a piece of that cake, Poise...and I don't eat cake.

I went 7 miles tonight.  With the track meet coming up, this Saturday, I wasn't sure what I should do.  I was supposed to go 9 with the 3 in the middle at MP.  Instead, I just did the 7 with 1/4 mile pickups to start each of the last 4 miles.  I figured, at this point, all I could do was hurt myself, but I wanted to, at least, give my body a heads up that something different was coming up.

While I was running along, trying to decide how hard I should go, it dawned on me that the last time I ever trained for any distance, other than a marathon, was back in junior high track.  Hmmm....if I get lucky and qualify for Nationals in any of my events, maybe I should train for that a distance.  Or maybe not...it didn't do me much good in junior high.

Okay--it's late.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sorry ribs, I don’t think any of us will ever forget Joe’s accomplishments, his legacy or your tributes, not just about running.  However, I was wondering if there is any running-streak club that continues to recognize members’ accomplishments as do the MarathonManiacs, Japan Joyful 100-Marathon Club, etc.and, I suppose, MLB, NFL and most sports achievements too.  Sorry about that.
                            For some reason, I’m surprised they let mari’s cake go for only $650.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Mariposai, the smile most assuredly added value to your cake.

Have fun in Ludington TomS.

The baby is adorable... Norah and Noah? Hmmm.... interesting, but a good name for her.

I see a career in diplomacy for GS, Noah. Before his sister was named, he told me, if the baby was a boy, we could have named it "Robin".

Breger! I had a deliver in Cross Village today. Most likely the last drop at the project. The homeowner is a Vietnam veteran and a retired policeman from Cincinnati. He had told me about a 100 mile race he was in that was open to veterans only. It may be defunct now. One of the runner lost his sight. He held his cane across his chest and a vet held on to each side and paced him. There are some neat people in your new neck of the woods.

Sorry ribs, I don’t think any of us will ever forget Joe’s accomplishments, his legacy or your tributes, not just about running.  

For some reason, I’m surprised they let mari’s cake go for only $650.

SteveP