Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 8.12.14 (Read 39 times)

King of PhotoShop

Houston?  I thought you were flying into DFW.  Let me know if we are on or off.  Spareribs

O Ribs, the airline is messing with me.  Evidently now that Sturgis is about over, so is air demand to western SD and I may have to leave later in the day......looks like I won't get to Houston Friday until 4:20.

grins and a grimace ....

A.

Evening races wipe me out. I stay up late. Don't sleep well (wake up every hour) and so end up very tired the next day. So I'm taking the day off.

Monday's Senior Games 5K was hot at about 80 degrees, the warmest afternoon/evening of the summer--a good 12 above what we have had on average. I was aiming for 17:40 or faster but finished 17:59 (near even splits though 8:58 at the turn around), which was enough for 1st and a new age group record. New course at the Chena Lakes recreation area--mixed review. The first mile on the bike path was nice but when we got the section that parallels the road it was a straight open stretch, and flat--you could see the aid station crew at the turn around, so it was a long 3+ minutes each way.

The 10K on Wednesday should be better, as it follows a slough, and it is expected to be cooler.

Senior Games participants and crew

(white hat, kneeling in front row)

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice race Trackrat!

Here are my thoughts on depression.

It doesn't have much to do with being in a developed country versus undeveloped country.  It is largely biological.   However, if you are hungry, and need to take action and move yourself to eat, and have a social structure around you that is forcing you to engage, then just the activity of getting up and moving alone can help activate the faulty neurochemistry that has sunk you into a depression.  There is a huge difference between clinical depression and just situational depression, and it is biological.  Bipolar depression, which is the cause of 50% of suicides, is a clinical depression that really has nothing to do with social circumstances (case in point - Robin Williams).  Medication, exercise, and the right amount of sunlight can help offset the imbalance.  The tragic thing is, any kind of depression doesn't last forever, but when you are in it, you think it will and you lose hope.

On a nicer note!  I had my second date with Mr. Clooney.... I have cooled my jets a bit, but we are on for a 3rd date tomorrow.  He actually ran a full marathon once in 3:45.....He did that time apparently when doing a very beginners training program - ie one 20 miler.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Good job Trackrat!!!!! Thanks for sharing the picture!

Enkie, enjoy your third date with door #?. I thing you are right on target about depression.

Another 1 hour of weeding the garden for me tonight. Boy, weeds sure know how to grow fast. Last week I went to the garden to harvest some veggies (yes, life has been that busy that I am sending others to harvest the veggies I need for dinner and have not been there for almost a week). When I went to the gather veggies today the weeds were taller than my tomatoes . I want to have my juicy tomatoes...

So I spent the last hour of the day light making sure that the garden is freed up from the nasty weed.

Nite my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ROBIN WILLIAMS - RIP

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/robin-williams-had-deep-running-roots

Redwoods HS,1969
              . . . 440 yards - - - - 52.3
              . . . 800 meters - - 1:58.8
              . . . half-mile - - - -1:59.4
              . . . mile relay: school record.
              . . . Dipsea (1984)
              . . . AVID cyclist
              . . . .Escape-from-Alcatraz Triathlon.
              . . . . Challenged Athletes Foundation - triathlons with double-amputee Rudy Garcia-Tolson
              "One of my favorite runners of all time was Abebe Bikila.
              He was an Ethiopian distance runner, and he won
              the Rome Olympics running barefoot.
              He was then sponsored by Adidas.
              He ran the next Olympics,
              he carried the f?-in’ shoes!" ***

“I love running cross-country … on the track I feel like a hamster.”
              runners world video clip shows Williams explaining how running a marathon delivers a cheaper high than drugs (with some explicit language).
              RIP to an unparalleled actor, comedian, humanitarian, and runner.
               = = = = = = = = = = =.
              ***Though Adidas provided running shoes at the Rome Olympics in 1960, as was pointed out by the wise one in one of his running quizzes, they didn’t have Abebe’s size so he ran barefoot to a world record.  He broke that standard four years later in Tokyo in Pumas, not in the Tigers that had been presumed by some. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Happy Birthday, Stumpy.

I would not be surprised if Mr Williams felt that his treatment for depression hampered his creative expression thereby exacerbating his frustration.

Holly, I had to look up Canton City Marathon. Ok, so my geography isn't that great. But nowhere on the main page does it say what state that's in!! I find that so annoying about marathon web sites. Like they assume everyone knows where it is. Found it on the packet pickup page... wasn't sure if you were trying to get another state or what. Have fun!

There's a Canton, MI. and I was discussing a road trip with the dog.

That's crazy fast TrackRat.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I had to look up Canton City Marathon. Ok, so my geography isn't that great. But nowhere on the main page does it say what state that's in!! I find that so annoying about marathon web sites. Like they assume everyone knows where it is.

I have found that, also, that race sites often make finding the location so difficult.  Canton is about 3.5 hours north of me, here in Ohio.  Not a new state, but a new race, and a chance to go with friends.

A Trackrat - congratulations!

Mariposai - I feel your pain re: weeds.  I am having the same difficulty keeping up.

Enke - keep us posted!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."