Masters Running

Regarding the cholesterol discussion ..... (Read 301 times)

Prince of Fatness

There were a couple of folks talking about cholesterol in the Thursday daily. You may want to check out this thread. Cholesterol thread I've finally been able to get mine down to under 200 with exercise and weight loss. I've been doing a better job with eating less, but now I think I need to focus on what I eat (cut back on processed foods, etc.)

Not at it at all. 

I would agree with Ribs in his post regarding the issue of HDL vs. LDL and risk ratio etc. My father passed at a very early age (45) from his first heart attack and all of my uncles (my mother’s brothers) had heart disease and passed at fairly young ages as well, I always figured I was going to be genetically challenged with the heart so to speak. Although genetics do in fact play a huge role, I am so very thankful that I came to realize just how big a difference we can make with the individual lifestyles we choose such as diet, exercise etc. Both my primary physician and the cardiologist I saw about 10 years ago when I had a cardiac catheterization after a scare (one of the things that finally put me on the right track to getting healthy) were and still are pretty adamant about the fact that regardless of what your HDL and risk ratio is, a high LDL will eventually catch up to you. As they both said, “There’s a reason it’s called bad cholesterol”. These are my levels after my last physical, now I look forward to the results each year as I strive to lead a healthy lifestyle and will take whatever measures necessary to take care of my heart. Cholesterol – 160 (LDL + HDL + triglycerides/5) – normal or desired < 200="" triglycerides="" –="" 49="" –="" normal="" />< 150="" hdl="" –="" 54="" –="" normal="" /> 35 LDL – 96.2 Normal < 130="" ratio="" -="" .56="" (hdl="" ldl="" or="" 54="" 96.2=".56)" goal="" /> 0.3 ideal > 0.4 I don't remember what my levels were back then, but I was "borderline high" and my doctor mentioned that we might have to think about medications. Once I made the decision to get healthy things progressed quite well and so far I've been extremely fortunate, no medications just a major lifestyle change for me did the trick. Best of luck to everyone out there fighting the battle to lower their cholesterol.
        This has been an issue for me also. With my family history they want me to be really low. I have never been able to get it that low even when I was on meds. My problem is with my Triglycerides and my ratio with a low( 34 )HDL mostly and in the past have taken drugs to address that problem. I went off the meds 2 or so years ago and have been somewhat successful at keeping my numbers at a fairly good level but not quite were they would like them. I just had my lipid panel done before Christmas and was disappointed to see my Triglycerides up to 171 and my LDL at 135 ,borderline high for most, but way high for my risk factors. I am now back on a strict diet and hoping I can get some results on my own before the 3 month recheck or I am sure to go back on Tricore and that seems to affect my leg muscles. Fatigue in my large leg muscles mostly. Nothing dangerous according to my Dr but my runs do suffer. Believe it or not I think part of my problem was training for 2 marathons last year. I was hungry all the time and it was hard to adjust my diet to give me enough energy for my training and yet be good for my numbers. I also am 10 pounds over my Ideal weight. My plan as of right now is to back off on my running (a little). I probably will run more days but fewer miles and really concentrate on losing the extra weight. If I can get this all taken care of by spring I may go for a fall marathon or maybe just concentrate on getting new prs in the all the shorter races. Lord knows I have room for improvement at all the distances! I would love to have Spare Ribs or mainrunners #s. Good luck to you all Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

Not quite in my 50s yet; good HDL but relatively high LDL. I've only had the test done twice but the LDL did drop a bit the second year. LDL/HDL/Tri 156/67/122 We didn't have a big discussion about it but my doc definitely stressed that high LDL was bad, no matter what, and we should keep an eye on it. (Lot of high cholesterol in my family but terrible eating habits (non)exercise too, so it's hard to sort out whether that's genetics or lifestyle.) The only reason I went for a physical in the first place was because of the constant nagging about seeing a doc that I read on this forum. Thanks. ETA: Ribs--I went back and read your earlier post. 89 LDL = high Confused I thought anything under 100 was excellent.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

I had my cholesterol checked in Jan 08, so I can't get it checked again til Jan 2010 if I want insurance to pay for it. But my numbers were not what I thought they should considering I had been running for about 2 yrs prior to that check. My HDL was 46 LDL was 114 Triglycerides were 88 I have started taking fish oil almost daily since then, so hopefully it's lower now. And I try to eat healthier foods, but I'm sure I still get more than what I should of fat grams. At least that is what my midsection shows me. . . Confused

Tammy

I have not had mine checked in awhile and probably need to get it done. Last time it was checked, when applying for life insurance, LDL was in the 90s - is that good? I know HDL was high but total cholesterol was under 200. My ratio qualified me for some sort of discount on the insurance rate so I guess that was good.

Once a runner . . .

Cholesterol 171 Tri 100 HDL 60 LDL 91 Cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.9 HDL / LDL = 0.65

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

I had my cholesterol checked in Jan 08, so I can't get it checked again til Jan 2010 if I want insurance to pay for it. But my numbers were not what I thought they should considering I had been running for about 2 yrs prior to that check. My HDL was 46 LDL was 114 Triglycerides were 88 I have started taking fish oil almost daily since then, so hopefully it's lower now. And I try to eat healthier foods, but I'm sure I still get more than what I should of fat grams. At least that is what my midsection shows me. . . Confused
                  Here are my numbers: Recommended Actual Total Chol. <200>40 93 Triglycerides <150 56="" ldl=""></150><70 89="" non-hdl=""></70><100 100="" tc/hdl=""></100><3.0 2.1 as you can see, the cardiologist is looking for ldl to be less than 70! so i am surprised at some of the recommended levels that others are showing. 2.1="" as="" you="" can="" see,="" the="" cardiologist="" is="" looking="" for="" ldl="" to="" be="" less="" than="" 70!="" so="" i="" am="" surprised="" at="" some="" of="" the="" recommended="" levels="" that="" others="" are=""></3.0 2.1 as you can see, the cardiologist is looking for ldl to be less than 70! so i am surprised at some of the recommended levels that others are showing.></200>