Masters Running

Thursday, 10.8.15 (Read 35 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Moebo, I love how you're just fitting right in here!  It's so nice to have new folks join in every once in a while!

I just got in from a 7 mile run around the dirt roads by my house.  I felt slow and tired for the first few miles, but then it got easier, and I ran up most of the hills on the way home!

Holly, one of my past dogs had ACL surgery, but it was hard to keep it covered where she wouldn't lick at it while it was healing, so she ended up with scar tissue.  Still, she got around fine after the surgery.

Have a great trip, Leslie and Shorty!!!!

Amy, I hope your knee and wrist heal up soon, and don't hurt at your marathon this weekend!

I have not had the pleasure of meeting SteveP yet, but I hope to someday!  And Tag, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

We need to fund a SteveP tour of RA daily poster cities!  Or maybe Avenger Doggie.  You know, tomwhite might be right about who is writing what.  Anybody here see any evidence it is not Avenger Doggie who does all of the writing and then uses SteveP as a cover . . . hmmm . . .

moebo I want to second wildchild's sentiment.  Glad you are here!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yes--it is nice to have Moebo joining us.

I cannot believe how busy I have been the last few days.  I am doing the sermon at church next Sunday and haven't even started it, yet.  And, looking ahead to next week, I see no time to work on it.  It is really stressing me out.

Speaking of stress...yesterday, Eric was supposed to be in court by 8:15 am.  I started calling him at 6:30 to make sure he was up and ready to go in plenty of time.  No answer.  I just kept calling and calling with no answer.  I thought, for sure, something really bad had happened.  I said a little prayer and just left him in God's hands.  Ten minutes later, I got a call.  "Hey Dad...I was on my way to court and got into an accident.  My car is un drivable."  He was okay.  We had the car towed to a garage, I took him to court, and then back home.  His car is pretty well beat up.  I guess he had made a wrong turn and was going the wrong way on the freeway, used Google Maps on his phone, and  BAM!  He managed to plow into one car, bounce off of it and hit another one.  Yep...stress.

Anyway--tonight, I did a 2 mile warmup, then 10 miles in 1:05:53, and a 1 mile cool down for a total of 13 miles in 1:29:06.  It felt good.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya.

{{{Mike}}}  , , , , maybe you have your sermon topic - stress, leaving things in God's hands . . . .

Yes, BE is a very lucky man, indeed.

Okay - I will try to check in while I'm gone, otherwise - - See you in three weeks!!!

I love you all ~~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Moebo's not new, just returning! Still very glad to have you here though, dear!

Holly, sure hope little Dexter comes through that ok. I've spent more than that on various pet ailments and injuries over the years. They're definitely worth it. I agree the hardest part will be the recovery, especially as he starts to feel better but still shouldn't be mobile.

Happy travels, Fatozzig! I agree I'd be excited, but also nervous about the destination.

Aamos, what marathon are you running this weekend?

Yesterday was a "rest day" in that there was no running. But we walked between 5-7 miles yesterday here in DC. Very cool to see all the sights lit up for the evening. I've never been to DC before and it's every bit as exciting and awesome as I thought it would be. This morning, I ran from our hotel to the White House, then down the road to the Washington Memorial, then to the WW II Memorial and down to the Lincoln Memorial. On the way back, I stopped at the WW II Memorial to find the "Alaska" post, then headed back to the Washington Memorial and on down to the Smithsonian before turning back and heading back to the hotel by way of the Washington Memorial again. 5.5 miles total.

Then DH and I walked to the National Gallery of Art to have lunch with DH's brother, then to the capitol for a guided tour by BIL's intern. How cool is that? According to our Fitbits, we walked over 7 miles today, in about 6 hours (included lunch and waiting in lines at the capitol). Legs and feet really tired, but what an excellent day. Tomorrow we'll be more low key as I want to stay off my feet before the marathon. We'll stop to visit Arlington on our way out of town, then head to Shepherdstown to meet Holly at the Expo. Can't believe it's almost time to run another marathon!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Grand Canyon
              I can’t imagine what kind of time limits they’d have to have for people like me but I’d love to do the R2R2R and will keep doing it by myself someday without any cutoff times in my alternate bucket.
              Runner Refuse
              I’ve never seen any runner dropping refuse along any of the trail runs I’ve done over the years but, maybe if it’s starting to happen, maybe the RD’s could do like the Ironman rules of DQ’ing and/or time penalties, etc. including dropping water bottles or tire-repair/tool kits (as I have done and had to turnaround to retrieve), nutrition bar wraps/gel tinfoils, sunglasses, or anything on purpose or inadvertent.
              Zimbabwe
              Zigs - speaking of Ironmans, say “hi” to Zimbabwe’s 8-time World Ironman Champion Paula Newby-Fraser when you’re there.
              ps - give all your money to your friends and let them handle it.  Also give them all your diamond rings and gold watches and flashy jewelry, wear local wear, etc. 
              Baseball terminology
              Fortunately, “scuffling” hasn’t reached the West Coast yet.  Probably doesn’t matter though as we don’t have any baseball “teams,” anymore; they’ve all become “organizations” instead of teams. Even more grating: thrilling celebratory “sayonara” home runs and hits have become stupid “walk-offs.”  Yuk.
              ps BE
              Actually, surgery is a little extreme for the injury ruse, . . . but I guess a weekend at the cabin is well worth it. Good Job!
              pps moebo - what does moebo mean?
              ppps erika - huh? BIL in DC has an intern? 
              Who is he? Don Young or someone?
              Las Vegas
              I recognized a couple of the hotels in modern Las Vegas from when I was last there in 1978 for a conference but the facades and replicas of (a) New York City with the Empire State Building, (b) Roman Coliseum with thin-or-little clad goddesses, Zeus and lions, ( c) Eiffel Tower and Paris dance revues with even less, (d) famous Japanese restaurants, (e) Arab flowing garments no just in the shows, etc. made it hard to know exactly where we were in the world.

Fortunately, I was able to keep a little in touch with reality with a sunrise run down-and-back along The Strip yesterday  morning before daytime temperatures climbed back up into the nineties.  Back to real reality to the PNW now though after a month of more fun than I’ve probably had in my whole life. whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

ppps erika - huh? BIL in DC has an intern? 
                Who is he? Don Young or someone?

We actually sat in on the House session today, just in time to hear Don Young going off on some bill he introduced. Couldn't really hear much but could tell it was his voice talking (how scary is that??). The intern volunteers for the representative my BIL works for. He really was good and a fun tour guide, but he is an unpaid intern so like a volunteer. How do these guys afford to live here in DC that way?? I didn't ask...

SteveP

Twocat insulted me yesterday on FB by suggesting my joke was as bad as the ones SteveP tells.  You be the judge:

Scottish mother visits her son in New York City apartment and asks, "How do you find the Americans?"
                  "Mom, they'e such noisy people. One neighbor won't stop banging his head against the wall, while the other screams all night long"
                  "Oh, how do you manage to put up with them?"
                  "What can I do? I just lie in bed quietly, playing my bagpipes."

Spareribs

So here's my dilemma: A really pretty woman moved in just down the street. In order to get to know her better – I grab the step ladder and walked over to her house while I was naked. I'm looking through this lady's window and I see my wife standing on our porch staring at me with her hands on her hips. Does anyone else think my wife is a pervert?

I applaud your looking after the Dexter dog, Holly.

(((((MikeE))))) Oh my gosh.

Mackinaw Island has a very nice half in the fall. I recall the RD urging people to quit dropping the empty gel packs. 

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I guess he had made a wrong turn and was going the wrong way on the freeway, used Google Maps on his phone, and  BAM!  

Wow - this could have been much worse - still extremely scary and stressful, but I am glad no one was hurt.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Grand Canyon
                      I can’t imagine what kind of time limits they’d have to have for people like me but I’d love to do the R2R2R and will keep doing it by myself someday without any cutoff times in my alternate bucket.

R2R2R is not a race, so you can take as long as you want!  There can't be any real races in National Parks, because RDs can't get permits.  Group runs are a different deal - last year my ultra group did a group run in Bryce Canyon National Park - same group I'm going to the Grand Canyon with next year!

Fat Ass runs also don't get permits, and are just group runs.  The local Fat Ass director always tells runners that if they see a ranger who asks if they're part of an organized event,  we should say, "No, I'm just out for a run - but there do seem to be a lot of people out today!" 

Mike - I agree with Holly - very scary for Eric and the whole family!  Who taught that kid to drive, anyway?  He's lucky he can always count on you to help him out -- you're a good dad.  (Unless it was you who taught him to drive... )

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

moebo

I'm going to post here because 1) there is no Friday thread yet, and 2) I didn't run today (unfortunately).

Thanks, wildchild (and everyone else) for being so welcoming. It's nice to have a place to hang out with other runners!

Tet, moebo doesn't mean anything in particular--just an old college nickname (my first name is Maureen, so that's where the moe part comes from).

Mike E, that was quite a morning you and your son had! Being a parent can be a pretty tough job--glad it all worked out in the end.