Masters Running

What is the healthiest community/state? (Read 284 times)

Hopefully some day soon I will be moving. So help me chose where to. My priorities are a healthy and fitness friendly community. A walking/cycling friendly community and a progressively forward community. If it has a arts culture that would be a big plus. Does this town exist? If you live in this town or someplace similar please post here. If you live in the opposite of this town, like I do, please post here too so I know where not to move. I'll start. Dont move to West Springfield, ma if you are into running, cycling, walking or outdoors. We have no races at all! Very few of our streets have sidewalks or even shoulders to run or walk on. The roads are in horrible condition and nearly all the drivers speed and are not friendly toward cyclists or runners. Our parks (well really one park) is in poor condition. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Well Definitely do NOT move to South Central TN. However, Nashville is cool and has lots of good running opportunities.
      evanflein

Wow, who'd have thought that West Springfield, MA would be worse for pedestrians than Fairbanks Alaska! We have wonderful weather and outdoor opportunities... in the summer. Winter is great if you're into cross country skiing. But you've gotta have a tolerance for long cold winters and lots of rednecks...
        Henrun

If you can afford it, move to Boston. It has everything you want-great recreational opportunities, arts, culture, education, history and many races. It's a great walking city. Winters are tolerable (;for the most part) and easily accessible for winter sports.. I used to be a skier-but now snowshoe and ice skate (mostly on the Boston Commons). The real downside is the price of homes.

"older but not dead yet"

From my experience, it's San Francisco. Everyone runs or bikes and there are great trails in Marin across the bridge. Toronto wasn't bad either and so was Beaver Creek, CO. Alex
            Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
            wildchild

Carolyn

You didn't say whether you prefer big city or small town, or somewhere in between. I love Colorado - the weather is good and it's one of the healthiest states. Boulder, in particular, is a fitness-oriented town, with lots of runners and cyclists. Arts and culture are plentiful, too, especially closer to Denver. The mountains are close for skiing and hiking and trail running.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

How about just a little north of West Springfield, Laurie? You have to love the weather though (she says with a forecast of 15 more inches of snow on the way) and it means staying in Massachusetts. http://www.explorenorthampton.com/ Weekly races too: http://www.harriers.org/SnowStorm/index.html http://www.sugarloafmac.org/index.php
                Tramps

Big question, and I have lots of thoughts but before you jump, have you checked out your local running club? http://harriers.org/

Be safe. Be kind.

Carolyn, I have read a lot about Colorado and grew up there. Its up there on my list. Boulder is a bit expensive. I know its one of the healthiest states. Would really like a year round walking/cycling place. I dont know how many winters my old body has left in it. Alex. were you fortunate enough to live in all those? I lived just outside of San Fran for a few years and it meets my criteria well just a tad pricey. Would love to go back though. Just have to hit the lottery. Hi CNY, always nice to hear from you. NoHo is top on my list for when I sell the house. Amherst too. But I need someplace I can retire after the kid graduates. You seem happy up there. Hi Tramps. Hey another local. You guys must know what I mean about W. Spfd. I was a Harrier for a bit but joined PVWRC and love that club. We are very active. Its great. Thanks for all the input. Given my druthers and a million dollars if I won the lottery I would probably choose either San Diego, San Francisco or Honolulu. To dream is fun isnt it. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

It could be worse, e.g., Agawam. Chicopee. ...................................or my home town, Detroit. western South Dakota has warmer winters than the eastern part of the state--you may have seen my rants about how Rapid City doesn't plow the streets all the time as the attitude is "it will just melt tomorrow," and often does. It's over 60 here today. Lots of trails and bike paths, and the Mickelson Trail, a 100+ mile rails-to-trials route that runs north south from Lead to Edgemont. Great for running, cycling, walking, etc. No state income tax. DAhl Arts Museum and Journey Museum in Rapid City, lots of artists and some galleries in and around Custer, Hot Springs, Spearfish. Black Hills State in Spearfish, makes that community more progressive than most of the rest of the state. (about an hour from Rapid). Small but active Peace & Justice group. Ditto bi and gay rights group. Black HIlls runners club--has a website even! 6 hour drive to Denver, local aiarport--flights to Denver frequent, under an hour. grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        I'm surprised I'm saying this but Indianapolis is developing into a good place to run. Many races scattered throughout the year (tuxbro.com) and a variety of places to run--paved bike paths, gravel canal tow paths and several parks with nice trails. Despite being in the heart (attack) of biscuit and gravy country, there is a healthy sub-culture evolving here. Safe and shockingly (for the "Coasters") inexpensive, it's worth a look. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Amos, I never even considered S. Dakota. Just the sound of it makes me freeze. But if its warmer than new england I can handle it. I think I will check it out. Especially if its affordable. Sometimes I feel like I am asking for too much...afordable, healthy, arts, progressively forward. But I know there is somewhere I can feel at home. AA717driver, and they have a basketball team too! Laurie