Masters Running

Wednesday Where's Waldo - and Jay? 4/29 (Read 32 times)

Good morning good people! I thought I'd give Norm a break today   Jay must be up to his eyeballs in stuff but don't expect a most excellent recap like he always provides.

Steve - congrats on the new job! And an office. Wow. Pretty cool.

Nice picture Mariposai!

Mike - I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Cellcom. We'll have to plan a meet-up with Slo that weekend. I always do a pasta party at my house, though I know some people are sticklers for not breaking out of their routines right before a race. If you have any interest, I'll give you the details. And bring your whole crew. The more the merrier

I went to the Y to run with the girls this morning and no one showed up. So, off solo - 5 miles in a comfortable 41° and no wind. Then 20 minutes of core work.

I have a question:  the training program that I'm following for the half had the longest run at only 11 miles. It seems like this isn't enough and there should be at least a 12 miler in there, maybe longer. The race is May 17 and I've been averaging around 25-30 miles a week. What do y'all think?  I'm not going for a PR, just want to finish strong.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Slo

Mike, Jlynne...  I cancelled my hotel reservation last night. Sadly, my occupation has stolen that weekend from me. The project list for that weekend just got to large to where I could no longer just ask one of my counter parts to cover my jobs with out over burdening them.

Green Bay remains one of my favorites.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning, Jlynne and Slo and all to follow.....

Mariposai - great picture!

Steve - congrats on your new job!

Mike - you will rock the Senior Games!

Thanks for all the great advice yesterday, folks, and for letting me vent.  I had a long discussion with her last night and I think it went well.  I just need to try to stay consistent.

6.1 miles for me today in 42 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Watch out for aliens messing with the bluetooth frequencies.

I ran 3 easy today. When I got back, the Garmin (910) got stuck on the transferring data screen.  I went on line to find out how to turn it off.  When I turned it back on it took a long time to get past the start-up screen, and then it started transferring data, but the usual 10-15 seconds it took 10 minutes.

And then, totally on it's own, my tablet started playing a Pandora country music station through my mini bluetooth speaker.  I was listening to that station earlier today but I had stopped over an hour ago.

I shut off the bluetooth speaker and bluetooth on the tablet for now.  I'll wait for the alien encounter to complete before trying anything.

C-R

Thanks Jlynne. I couldn't handle the pressure of a 3rd day. Not sure how Jay manages it.

Good to hear Holly.

Bummer Slo. Work is a four letter word you know. Come run Sunburst with us in South Bend.

Very nice Steve and an office. Cool.

That is a great pic Mariposai

Dave - sounds like you need a technology exorcism. I know a guy if ya need.

Got my usual recovery run this morning and will run again this evening since I have customer lunch and meetings this afternoon. I did talk them into going to Shapiro's Deli. One of the best Deli's in the Midwest with classic NY style food. I really enjoy going there but oh the calories.

Have a great day. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

Congrats on making the decision to enter the Senior Games, Mike! You'll make us proud I know. . . I am worried about the jelly beans though - you do know that jelly beans are the gateway drug to the more highly addictive sugary treats . . . like Ike & Mike's, right? 

no run last night, like the Coach expected me to do. I packed up more boxes of stuff and moved more items from upstairs to downstairs. Carpet is being laid on Friday, so the entire upstairs has to be emptied. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in closets.  As we unpack and put things away after the carpet is done, this will be a major purging of "stuff" we really have no use for. 

leaving work 1/2 day early today for a dental appt and heading home to do more work. I think I'll also get my carrot and beet bed prepped and planted. Will get in 5 miles this afternoon though, for sure. If I skip another day of running, Coach won't be pleased and will give me "that look". . . 

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I enjoyed tselbs' comments yesterday on the child rearing issue.  He was a great teacher and a good, kind man.  We should listen to him.

jlynne, miles aside, I believe a few two-hour runs are great prep for a half.  You're on the right track.

Congrats on the job Steve.  They are getting a good man.

Glad of your decision to sign up Mike E.  That was the right thing.

Great ink for our Mariposai!

Cool, clear day at the park and I ran 8 solo at about 10:10 pace. Felt like I could have done way more but that was the plan.  Happy about it.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Good afternoon.....Mike will be dubbed "the Kenyan" at the Senior games, is my prediction.

Congrats Steve!  They know you're nuts and you get an office.  Way cool.

greta picture and story, mari

I enjoyed all the kid advice.  very interesting.  and funny...tselbs, what is worse than a 13 year old girl?

Poor Slo.....and Jlynne, run on!

Thinking of signing up for the Baltimore Marathon as a sign of support.  I'm doing Key west the weekend before, but it just seems like something I could do.

Florida has lost its humidity for a while!  Another relatively peppy 6 for me this am.  Recovery mode continues.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Today was a no running day for me.  I was actually going to skip posting but the daily is so thin today that I wanted to help out.  But posting pretty much about nothing is not all that helpful I now realize.    Maybe I should just go to bed.  On a side note, I agree Mike E good call to go to the senior games.  Few people can compete in something like that.  I suspect you will be quite happy you took advantage of an opportunity few of us will ever get.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Today was a no running day for me.  I was actually going to skip posting but the daily is so thin today that I wanted to help out.  But posting pretty much about nothing is not all that helpful I now realize.    Maybe I should just go to bed.  On a side note, I agree Mike E good call to go to the senior games.  Few people can compete in something like that.  I suspect you will be quite happy you took advantage of an opportunity few of us will ever get.

I'll try to help as well TwoCat even tho it was a no running day for me as well (as most days are right now )

Holly - glad to hear you had a good chat with your DD last night. This parenting stuff is not easy!! My 20yr old was badgering me the other night about he "deserves" to be able to buy a motorcycle and how he is responsible and blah blah blah --- told him no so many times over the past 6 months and I am not changing my mind --- he can buy a motorcycle when he has a new address!!

Slo - sorry work is cancelling your Cellcom plans

MikeE - good luck at the games!

Posai - great photo for your newspaper!

Had a nice run Monday morning along Boylston and past the Boston finish line, walked to work - heel felt fine until I started walking around the labor floor -- maybe I need to run more and work less!!  Yesterday had a great coached swim workout then went to a spin and muscle class - loved it!!

Today - Day 2 of ALL DAY computer training for our new Epic system --- I am so not going to like working when this thing goes live!!  Walked about 2 miles each way from my garage at Fenway to the training center.

Nite all!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dang, Slo, that stinks.

Yes, Jeanne, we will have to get together...but, unfortunately, it will have to be after the race.  Remember, I double booked my weekend...man, that ticks me off.  I think we're just going to drive over, right after the concert and rest in the car before the race...it should be fun.

I was going to make this an easy week until I realized that dang race is so close, so I did an easy 2 miles in 14:41, then a 6.3 mile tempo run in 40:25, and a 2 mile easy run in 15:18 for a total of 10.3 miles in 1:10:24.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, the Senior Games do seem awfully pricey for such short distances!  But I agree with everyone else that you might as well sign up, since you qualified, and they're close to home.

Slo, bummer that work is getting in the way of running and RA meet-ups!

Jeanne, if you think 11 miles doesn't sound like long enough for your long runs, by all means run more!

I did my long run today to make up for stopping after 5 miles Saturday with a rolled ankle.  21 miles, which was tough, because not only is that my longest run in a while, but it was also very steep and high altitude.  Pretty day to  be out, though!

Hey - I just wanted to post a handy table of prime numbers so you can all plan your runs tomorrow!    It seems like whenever I post this at the end of the month, I get more folks getting prime number awards!

2      3      5      7     11     13     17     19     23     29
                               31     37     41     43     47     53     59     61     67     71
                               73     79     83     89     97    101    103    107    109    113
                              127    131    137    139    149    151    157    163    167    173
                              179    181    191    193    197    199    211    223    227    229
                              233    239    241    251    257    263    269    271    277    281
                              283    293    307    311    313    317    331    337    347    349

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike, the Senior Games do seem awfully pricey for such short distances!

mike - lot's of incentive in that kind of dollar-per-mile event.

Worse than the Rock'n'Rolls.

however, I would have signed you up if you didn't.

what a great experience.

have fun.

Problem with being in Japan for most of the last four months is coming back and finding out that “slowpoke” has come to mean 4:10:19 in Boston.  yikes.  Where’s selbs when I need him?

Good thing I finally came back though where’s there’s not so many culinary temptations. Just when I was overcoming the craving for those banana lattes and banana mini-gel packs, they came out with individually packaged banana chocolate chips cookies that are so soo sooo good.  And I thought I liked the American-soft green tea ones.

ps wildchild - is "0" a prime number, . . . if it's even a number?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

TOn a side note, I agree Mike E good call to go to the senior games.  Few people can compete in something like that.  I suspect you will be quite happy you took advantage of an opportunity few of us will ever get.

Agree,

No running report either,

But MikeE will be our idol at the Senior Games!!!

Go MikeE goooooooooo

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

they came out with individually packaged banana chocolate chips cookies that are so soo sooo good.  And I thought I liked the American-soft green tea ones.

Soft green tea chocolate chip cookies?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."