Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 2.8.14 (Read 37 times)

I didn't realize Avenger Doggie was a poet too, the talent that talking dog has!

Well, it sounds really like an all round sucky winter for you folks out East.  Rant away!

Today it was about 32F in the morning.  Ran Cougar Mtn as usual, 5.1 miles.  There was a light dusting of snow up there.  Very beautiful actually.  Remi got a lot of stones frozen to the pads of his feet via his wet/frozen fur around them.

Came home and had a big fight with DD.  I think we are friends again.

Going to replace the bake element in my stove this afternoon.  Hopefully it won't take long.  Then I can bake some brownies, this time, without beets.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hudson waves a paw to Avenger Dog and Honey! Most excellent and good question from Claire too.

Just back home after 24 hours on the Cape with Iron J (her house) including 20 miles of running at 8:10 pace and mostly on the clear and plowed bike path. It was bit warmer there in the high teens and the roads leading to the bike path were pretty free of traffic. Girls night sleepover gabbing and then a 20 miler after some coffee this morning. Ocean views, bright sun for most of the run and a little pick-up of pace in the end imagining we were in view of the Citgo sign and the last mile at Boston, roar.

Good runs and activities all whether inside or out.

I am guessing Riblet aced both the SAT and the ACT.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Against my better judgment, I joined some friends in the lounge of our men's dorm at the UW at 8pm Sunday night 50 years ago to watch Ed Dullivan (as we called him) introduce on his reeeeeeealy beeeg shew a British group with the stupid name of the Beatles which was the name of stupid, pretend car in those days too. . Without any femines allowed in the premises in those days, it was unanimous that they were a bunch of sissies because of long hair over their ears. However, for some reason, I didn't get another haircut until fall quarter.

I love steve's doggie's pictures.  Did they cover steve in snow somewhere.

However, I do not like henrun's new avatar. From barefoot beach to snowshoes?  ugh.

just another reason not to like the ancient one too for his thinking that 5:16 is slow for a 50K, especially when I thought his only ultra was some slow trail run last year. Hard to figure him out.

Cowtown ultra on 2/23, a 50K on the streets of Ft. Worth. Ugh, but it is what it is.  Last year I did this race for my first and so far only ultra and although I ran it slowly (5:16), I won my AG by 23 minutes.

Last week he took the SAT and when I asked him how he did he said "I think I missed one on the math part."  Hard to figure him out.

like father, like son

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Tet, I was very covered in snow. Sorry , no pictures. I took two shovels and a gravel rake. Then attacked one of the snow banks in our driveway. Now there is a tunnel at least 12ft long. Then we called Noah and told him we chased a creature out and he needed to investigate. His guess is a ground hog

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yeah, me too steve.  I loved piling the snow up to make igloos and tunnels in those days, especially on the north side of some shade to see how long they'd last into the spring.  Kids (and dogs) loved 'em.

Two million inch run fizzled to one million.,

Missed the early start for today 2-Million Inch 50K (31.56 miles) as I got totally lost* for 4,800 seconds before spotting a bunch of runners running out of a parking lot onto a nearby bike path at 25,800 seconds a.m. so switched to the one million inch option (as did two of the three other runners who were even more lost and showed up even later). The one million inch out-and-back only took 14,100 seconds (0.014 seconds/inch pace), slightly within the 0.015 s/i allowed for the 25,800 second cut off in the upcoming Tokyo 4,219,500,000 cm run the end of the month (if it works out).                                                                     
            Ps - I hope wildchild doesn’t check my math ‘cause when one’s be¥come so slow one doesn’t even know what slow means anymore, being even slower doesn’t matter.

*DIRECTIONS:

Start is at the intersection of W Marginal Pl S & S 102nd St, Tukwila, WA 98168.
            McDonald's near by - 9610 DES MOINES MEMORIAL DR, Seattle, WA 98108.
            4. Merge onto I-90 W via the ramp on the left toward Seattle.   3.4 mi
            5. Merge onto I-5 S via EXIT 2B on the left toward Tacoma/Portland.   2.6 mi
            6. Take the Corson Ave exit, EXIT 162, toward Michigan St.   0.7 mi
            7. Stay straight to go onto Corson Ave S.   0.1 mi
            8. Take the 1st right onto S Michigan St.   0.5 mi
            S Michigan St is just past S Harney St   SHELL is on the corner
            If you reach S Eddy St you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
             9. Merge onto WA-99 S/1st Ave Bridge S/WA-509 S.  0.7 mi
            10. Take the exit toward WA-99/W Marginal Way/South Park.  0.2 mi
            11. Keep right to take the ramp toward WA-99 S/W. Marginal Wy./Highland Park Wy.   0.1 mi
            12. Turn slight right onto 2nd Ave SW.   0.3 mi
            13. Turn slight right toward South Park/WA-99 S/1st Ave S. Bridge.   0.08 mi
            14. Turn slight right onto W Marginal Way S.   0.4 mi
            15. Stay straight to go onto WA-99 S.   1.0 mi
            16. Take the Des Moines Dr. exit toward 14th Ave. So.  0.1 mi
            17. Take the Des Moines Dr. exit. 0.3 mi
            18. Turn slight right onto Des Moines Memorial Dr.  0.2 mi
            19. 9610 DES MOINES MEMORIAL DR is on the left. Your destination 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Came home and had a big fight with DD.  I think we are friends again.

This is a regular occurrence in my house...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Against my better judgment, I joined some friends in the lounge of our men's dorm at the UW at 8pm Sunday night 50 years ago to watch Ed Dullivan (as we called him) introduce on his reeeeeeealy beeeg shew a British group with the stupid name of the Beatles which was the name of stupid, pretend car in those days too. . Without any femines allowed in the premises in those days, it was unanimous that they were a bunch of sissies because of long hair over their ears. However, for some reason, I didn't get another haircut until fall quarter.

I love this!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

My youngest took the ACT test today and said he didn't think he did well.  Last week he took the SAT and when I asked him how he did he said "I think I missed one on the math part."  Hard to figure him out.   Spareribs

My DS took the ACT today as well.  His feeling was that he didn't manage his time well enough and ended up rushing to answer the last few questions of each section.  However, he felt he did a good job on the writing portion.  Ah well, they will be able to take it again more than once if they like - the next opportunity here is 4/12. He will take the SAT on 3/8.

C-R

Busy place in here.

Just so people know. Ribs might be king of photoshop but I am king of the typo. Often some very funny ones too. "lick" heh that was good.

14.6 in 2 hours today (all the time I had) but fun.

Took DD out for her first drive yesterday so she could be prepared for drivers ed today. I was very impressed by her ability to put up with me as a teacher. Actually, she was very cautious which makes me worry a little less. Too many bad drivers out there for my little princess to be driving among them.

Well off to watch Cool Runnings for movie night. Olympic inspired.

Love the pics Avenger Doggie.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

NHLA

10 miles  1 hr 27min.  All around the mountain.

Good job dealing with all the snow ya'll.

evanflein

Nice pics, Avenger Doggie. You have a lovely mom!

7.1 miles on the TM today, after shopping and before vacuuming the house. With two cats, I really should be vacuuming the house more often, but it is what it is. Today was so nice and sunny, I was thinking of running outside, but when you think of dressing up in all the layers, being cold for the first 1-2 miles, then undressing and warming up, I just couldn't deal with it. Even though the temps were above zero this afternoon. Oh well, I got to listen to my podcasts and not spend 10 minutes dressing in layers and undressing....

So--I skipped my run last night.  Eric called the day before and said he wanted to "hang out".  Well...it's not every day that Eric wants to spend time with me, so...I skipped my run and hung out with Eric.  We had a great time.  He texted me after and said he had fun and hopes we can do it again soon.  I didn't need to run.

Post of the Day!  Love it.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong