Masters Running

4.11.13 Thursday's Daily (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of interesting talk yesterday about life as a kid, socks, TV, wicked weather, and contentment. Wow!

DW likes to tell folks that she and her folks and her 13 brothers and sisters grew up in a very small 3-bedroom home; kept handing down clothes to each other year after year; and went barefoot most of the summer because it was fun and it helped shoes last longer. They didn't know what they were missing because they never thought that they were missing anything, and didn't waste time looking around to see if they were.

One of DW's younger sisters has two daughters who are now in their teens. They grew up in a house without TV - not because it wasn't affordable, but by parental choice. So, instead of watching things, they did things. They are great girls, and they learned many valuable lessons by doing so much as they grew up that will serve them well as they go through life.

To my way of thinking, it isn't a matter of what you have or what you don't, or what your family's economic status was when you were growing up: There are likely as many privileged kids as poor kids who grew up screwed up. It is a matter of the values we each learned as we were growing up, and that has much more to do with ethics than economics.

Starr, we had an ice storm up this way in '98 that looked like some of your photos, and folks are still talking about it. I hope things warm up so the power crews can get their work done safely and quickly.

5.5 racewalking miles at 4:10 - 44F with a breeze from the NW, and a heavy mist that would have been rain had the drops been bigger. I wanted to do a combination of maintaining a quick turnover rate and staying relaxed. Seems they could be opposites, but they needn't be. I can't be fluid if I'm tense, and tension is wasted energy, so keeping the body relaxed is kind of a good thing to do.

Have a tenseless Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Jay and everyone else this morning.

Even the mist was gone when I started at 5:30 this morning--can't say I missed it.  The rain all came last night while DW and I were sitting at the REd Sox game.  It will probably be our only trip this year and turned out to be the first game that wasn't a sellout since 2003.  After sitting through an hour or so delay, it was a great game right up unitl the closer let up 5 runs in the top of the 9th Roll eyes  Getting home at midnight made 5:30 SO much fun.  But 7.5 miles to expand my mid-week long run by a little.  My schedule hits 10 a couple of times, which will probably mean a 9pm bedtime.

Amazing ice storm pictures.  Still see a lot of broken trees in western MA from one a few years back--does not look anywhere as bad as Starr's, though.

Head down to Richmond tonight for 10K and vacation.  Also the chance to sleep in on Friday.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

The big wind and rain let up so I went out for a run.  5.4 miles.  32.9°, windy, light rain.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Starr's storm is moving through my area, now.  No where near the amount of ice that she had but a whole lot of snow on top of the ice that we did get.  A couple of our guys headed out to a job site about 45 minutes away and were still not there 2 hours later.  I had an apointment with somebody on a different site but, luckily, he cancelled and I've just stayed in the office all morning.  Hopefully, I'll be able to stay here until it's time to go home.

I'm not sure what this means for my run, tonight.  I'm supposed to go 12 miles and the thought of doing it on the treadmill is not very appealing...but it is, probably, better than being run over by a snow plow...we'll see.

Anybody hear how the weather's supposed to be for Boston, yet?

Okay--that's it, for now.

TammyinGP

I have several highschool friends on FB and all I'm seeing from them is either pics or rants about MN weather.  yuck!

Since my coworker is flying out to Boston tomorrow, we've been weather watching and it looks pretty ideal. mid/upper 50's, minimal chance of rain, light winds.

will run after work tonight. 5 miles is the plan.

Tammy

rhoon, great pictures.  Tammy, it sounds like your son had a fantastic track meet.  Congrats to him.  deez, my condolences to your family on the loss of your cousin's daughter.  starr, those are scary pictures of the ice storm.  The spring before I got married, we had one that looked like yours.  We were out of electricity for about a week and a half.  It makes good stories now but wasn't fun then.  Good luck on getting back to normal as soon as possible.

Nice long runs for Mike and Holly.

Yesterday was a walking day.  Due to wind and a lot of rain, I decided to use the TM.  When I got to the basement, I found that a good portion of the floor was covered with water.  Instead of walking, I spent about an hour and a half cleaning up the problem.  The rest of the day, however, went well.  It was my wife's birthday and we went to Cracker Barrel for our favorite, greasy, tasty, unhealty, breakfast.  From there we went to Flint and had lunch with our daughter on her lunch break.

This morning, as Dave reported, it was cold, windy, and rainy.  I got in 5 miles on the TM at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Yowsa, quite a collection of ice pics yesterday.  It's hard to wrap my head around those, given that it was 93 here yesterday!  It's cooled off to "just" the upper 80s today; I don't think we quite hit 90.  Fortunately, things will cool down even further in time for Stumpy's 10K.

Whatever the temp, it was a hot and--dare I say it?--humid run for an EZ 5 today.

Be safe. Be kind.

After this past winter all I can say is that I am glad a late season ice storm was not part of the menu.

My penultimate pre-Boston run was today.  Off for 6 miles.  Next and last pre-race run will be 4 on Saturday.  Now I just have to get my race and starting area hang around for hours supplies together.

Menu, that reminds me this morning I baked one of my favorite breads a multigrain loaf.  Last time I followed the recipe to a tee and it came out too dense.  This time I used a bit more yeast and swapped out the recipe's all purpose flour for bread flour.  I also added flax seeds.  A perfect loaf!  You can find the recipe on my Allrecipes page if you want to see it.  Just look for the link to Multigrain Seeded Bread.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

aka FlyingFinn

Those ice storm photos were incredible. I hope everyone stays safe and life returns to normal soon. In contrast to that weather, it's very humid and warm here. I ran 50 minutes on pavement, with 6 x strides and a "you've got to be kidding me" response from my legs on the strides.

Fun find of the day: an armful of skeins of yarn at a rummage sale. I have a friend in a nursing home who knits for Project Linus. I think she is going to like the variegated colors.

The bread sounds delicious Twocat.

Have a good afternoon all.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - how did the ribs come out?

No run for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core watching Justified.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went ahead and ran outside, today.  It was pretty sloppy and going into the wind it was a little tough just because of the sleet pelting my eyeballs.  But I ended up with 12.1 miles in 1:33:11.  My legs are still not completely recovered from my long run last Sunday, which concerns me a little bit.  I think I'll be okay, though.

I sold my old truck, the other day.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get along without it.  Wow...that was kind of a random statement...who cares about my stupid truck....sorry...

Okay--I guess I really don't have anything else to say, since nobody seems to really care about my truck...that I've had since 1997...it was a Dodge Dakota (it still is, actually)....4 wheel drive...extended cab...V8...red...man I loved that truck.  I actually tried to give it to Tammy...but she didn't want it...now some old guy has it...he and his kid wanted a "project" to work on, together.  Oh, well...it's just a truck...that nobody really cares about...

A moment of silence for Mike, please.

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .

Thank you.

Wow - those are some pics, Starr.  Unbelievable.  Glad you and yours are safe.

Jay - Perfectly said.

Since I can't run and I did core/ST last night, I slept in this morning.  The best I can report is lots of icing today and a deep self-massage of yea ole calves tonight.  My right AT actually feels worse today than it did yesterday, and there some swelling on the inside near the heel.  This may be what she was looking at yesterday.

Okay - Nothing else to report, so I'm going to bed.  Nite ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

only Mike could make me want to read about a 16 year old truck, when he's out having fun running in the ice and sluch,  and then make me read even more. However, it will be hard to beat truck lady.  In fact, I bet a truck lady t--shirt would get a lot of people out of her way.  If enke thinks wearing dress pants, a white dress shirt, a tie, .........and a blue and yellow Boston marathon jacket!  is odd, I know someone who did it in an Ironman jacket for a long time, . . okay, still does. Somehow,  sounds like something Mike would do too.

I've only had one experience with the kind of sheet ice starr's having.

Put on ice skates and skated all over town on the clear and open streets.

here's one for ziggy, ilene and any other cat ladies (and guys)..

It's supposed to be a cat meowing a perfect "no, no" to an impending bath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2d_dkHlAY&NR=1&feature=endscreen

I never wanted to do a penultimate anything but now, if I ever have a second-to-last run for anything, maybe I will too, ...if it's okay on the West Coast too. :Smile

November rhoon five six. do you read?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh that poor cat.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Breger - how did the ribs come out?

Fantastic!  Just as good as they sounded.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong