Masters Running

Sunday Daily, 1.31.16 (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Yesterday was a testament to perseverance.  23 miles of flooded paths, mud, slipping, and sliding, and over 2900 feet of elevation gain.  But I got it done AND went to church in the evening and didn't fall asleep. 

You are Tough!!  I would likely have fallen asleep BEFORE church on the sofa and then missed it.

Econe - we are not counting here, just glad to have you posting again....

What a great picture of Todd, and again, so sad.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

This morning we're in full party-prep mode for our afternoon get-together that starts at 1:57 and goes to 6:03. So I have to get to the clean up and set up, and get out lots 'o wine glasses.

Is there a story behind the start and end times, Jay?

Posie, how are you feeling today after that fall you took yesterday?

Holly, happy bday to your DS!    And nice long run in shorts.  I was happy I got my long run done yesterday, also in shorts, because it's snowing today.   I just ran 4.1 miles to end the month on a prime number.

Barb, happy training for Casper!  And have fun with your wimpy roads!    I'll try to make it up there to see you, but I'm not planning to do a pavement marathon - sorry!  Maybe I'll do the half with you?

Tammy, I love the picture of Todd - he sounds like quite a guy, and he'll be missed for sure.

I don't always tell someone where/when I'm going running.  My DH is away on a climbing trip now, so there's really no one to tell except the dogs, and they came with me.  And I don't carry a phone because there's not very good cell service here, but I suppose maybe I should take it along anyway.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Is there a story behind the start and end times, Jay?

Barb, happy training for Casper!  And have fun with your wimpy roads!    I'll try to make it up there to see you, but I'm not planning to do a pavement marathon - sorry!  Maybe I'll do the half with you?

Yes! I am thinking half or relay?  Would you like to run together or on a team? But remember: I am a sea level sissy!

And I was wondering the same thing, Jay?

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the terrific eta Todd photo tammy.
          ps tsunami - I liked the weight/pace formula when it meant not having to lift more than ten tons of shoe weight in the 46,000 steps in a marathon. Still working on the waist part though.

Sounds like jay’s meetings must be aligned with the Shinkansen Bullet Train schedules starting from the northernmost terminal in Shin-Aomori in the morning and finishing in southern Kyushu in the afternoon..
          ps twocat - maybe you can all combine your palates and do a combined 100 tasty New Orleans oyster treats, to say nothing of Pampano en Papillote and the local gumbo. Who needs a marathon when you can eat?

ps somebody - except for the fact I’ve been doing it all my life ever since m parents let me go grouse/ptarmigan hunting on my own, maybe it’s just an older person peculiarity but I’m surprised, shocked, stunned, disbelieving, etc. about anyone running anywhere in this day and age not at least without leaving a flight-plan note on the kitchen table, just in case, to say nothing of an emergency phone number contact tag in your pocket with the paramedics’ favorite acronym: NKA (no known allergies)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the terrific eta Todd photo tammy.
            ps tsunami - I liked the weight/pace formula when it meant not having to lift more than ten tons of shoe weight in the 46,000 steps in a marathon. Still working on the waist part though.

Sounds like jay’s meetings must be aligned with the Shinkansen Bullet Train schedules starting from the northernmost terminal in Shin-Aomori in the morning and finishing in southern Kyushu in the afternoon..
            ps twocat - maybe you can all combine your palates and do a combined 100 tasty New Orleans oyster treats, to say nothing of Pampano en Papillote and the local gumbo. Who needs a marathon when you can eat?

ps somebody - except for the fact I’ve been doing it all my life ever since m parents let me go grouse/ptarmigan hunting on my own, maybe it’s just an older person peculiarity but I’m surprised, shocked, stunned, disbelieving, etc. about anyone running anywhere in this day and age not at least without leaving a flight-plan note on the kitchen table, just in case, to say nothing of an emergency phone number contact tag in your pocket with the paramedics’ favorite acronym: NKA (no known allergies)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I never made it in to work, again, today...I'm sure I'll be kicking myself, tomorrow.

I went to church...ran 8 miles...went to Molly's championship basketball game--they won--went to an Eagle Scout ceremony...went over to my daughter's house and completed my other GD's (Megan) school project with her...packed up all my tools, and came home.

Okay--I should, probably, go up and see how Debbie's doing.  See ya!

moebo

MikeE, you sure are a good grandpa!

So sad about Todd. He looks like he must have been a lot of fun; I am sure he will be missed by many.

Happy birthday to Holly's DS!

Leslie, you are one tough cookie! Nice job toughing it out on that super-long run.

Mariposai, I hope you are feeling okay today.

It was just a little below freezing when I went out, but with no wind to speak of--IRC for me. Saw a bunch of ice fishermen out on the lake but it didn't look like the fish were biting. It was so interesting to watch that I went a little longer than planned, and ended up with 10  miles total (at a 9:57 pace). I didn't feel great, but too bad, either, so I am happy with it.

tetsujin209 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

2Kitty - I'm sorry you're having to give up your marathon, but happy you're being smart.

Carolyn - I wear a SPOT when I'm out running alone.

Yes, Jay, what's with the weird times on the party?  How'd everybody like the wall?

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

I just tried to sign up for the Portland Marathon. I entered everything in, including my credit card information, and got kicked out.  I haven't received a confirmation notice, or anything, so I don't think it went through, but I'm afraid to go back in and register, again, because I don't want to be charged twice.  I knew I shouldn't have tried doing it on my iPad.  I'll give it a day and see what happens....it will probably go up another $5.00.

Mariposai

I just registered for the Porltand, OR marathon. I am so happy to hear that you will join us MikeE.

Maebo, I felt fine today. I was not feeling too hot last night, but I woke up just fine.

Well, in looking at my schedule for February, I decided that today was the day for a 22 miler. I left the house not knowing what to expect but to just put a few hours on my feet and then evaluate the situation. Four hours letter, I did get a 22 miler in and felt pretty good the whole way. I was surprised that I was able to run for that long of a time after 3 hours of X-Country skiing yesterday.

Carolyn, I think you should carry your cell phone with you, just in case.

Fatozzig, you ran 23 hard miles, went to church and did not fall asleep. You are inspirational.

Well, off to wash the dishes. The Easy Pacer had a yummie stew waiting for me after my run (he ran 9miles on the TM since he will be doing the half at New Orleans together with Mr. Twocat and other friends).

Enkie, the gathering at New Orleans is outside RA family, not that if anyone from here who is running the marathon there could not join us.

Here is to a great week for all. As for me, yet another auditor will be showing up at my office. We administer so many housing programs that all of them are audited at one time or another.

Cheers to all,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sorry to hear about Todd. I am sure he will be greatly missed.

Sorry to hear about mariposai's fall - scary, and being audited sounds even scarier.

That was a lot of grandpa duties this weekend Mike, but I am sure you enjoyed them all.

I cycled with Gigi and my sweetheart today - 20 miles, including the loop around Mercer Island - the last time I had seen it was during my PR half marathon, oh so long ago, 2008 I believe.  Legs were a bit toast after running that 10 miles yesterday.

Tet - are you doing Chilly Hilly?  I may need someone slower than Mr. Blue Eyes keep me company, if I decide to do it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - are you doing Chilly Hilly?  I may need someone slower than Mr. Blue Eyes keep me company, if I decide to do it.

enks - I almost did the Mercer Island Loop on The Blue Baron this afternoon but was too far behind in household stuff after a month away. The Chilly Hilly used to be the start of the IM training season in those days but haven’t done it for four or five years with DaveChief on his bianca but could probably keep up with you to the first hill which I’m sure I can't ride up to the top any more without walking with all the people I used to feel so sorry for. l still shuss the downhill sides though.

ps twocat - gotta love my new ASUS touch-screen that has the “modify/reply” options too close together for fat fingers.

pps Mike - me too. I got about half way through and it jumped back to the start with instructions to close the tab and keep going but every time I close the new tab, it does it all over again so I”ll try again tomorrow. Glad you’re coming out.
                            .'ll

ppps aamos - I can hardly wait until tomorrow when you'll be able to tell us

who the featured Google caricature is  Moses?

<center>

Celebrating Frederick Douglass

</center>