Masters Running

Mon Boomaster Runs 01/07 (Read 661 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, you're an engineer like me! Was your dad an engineer? I always ask women engineers that, because that's the case about 8 times out of 10. My dad is still an engineering professor - I had him for two classes in college. I was happy that he was an excellent teacher and well-liked! I made sure I worked very hard in his classes.
    Teresa, yes my dad's an engineer! He's a semi-retired engineering professor, but he's a metallurgist and I'm a chemical engineer, so I didn't have to take any of his classes. I did get a free ride through college as a "faculty brat" - did you?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow..it's 5:52...and this thread has 45 replies already..... Today...was supposed to be a rest day...I decoded to run Tuesday's run today instead... 75 degrees....strong south wind...5 miles on very dead legs...someone please give me some fresh legs.... Tomorrow.....rest... Wednesday...last run until Saturday....day before Houston...

Manchild

Good evening Gang! Tall, keep that head up and never look back. This is easier said than done, I've been through divorce and I like recovery a whole lot more than the fall. Dark Noggin, You have a bad luck streak goin' and I like your attitude, ignore it and it will go away. For me, I met my running friend over at his place at 4:00pm and we ran his trail route through the state forest beside the airport. Googled it at 4.6 miles. It felt like we ran hard but 40:45 only gave us an 8:51 pace. I'll take it! Oh and the temps were nearly 50!! I like Holly and Erika's long run theory of smaller loops. I've never tried this, always taken hydration and carbs with me in a goofy belt. I may have to try this to fully appreciate it. Thanks for the idea. Have a great rest of your evenings... Chris
          Hey boomers - I have a question to ask. Tried to run again tonight after only getting in 4.5 this morning but my right foot is killing me! I've never had planter fascitis (how do you spell it anyway!), but the pain starts at the top of my foot near the ankle and goes into the ankle area. When I try to stretch it out (with a towel, pulling the foot back towards me) the pain gets worse. Does anyone know what this is? I was getting by on Aleve the first couple of days, but I'm afraid there's something else going on. Appreciate any advice you could spare. Tall - I always say "take the high road." Divorces can get so messy, and it's real easy to try and get back at your ex (believe me, I've been there). But, for the sake of your lovely kids, try to stay calm and rational. I know that's easier said than done, but a few years from now, your kids will be happy and better adjusted to their new situation. Good luck!
            Hey guys Thank you so much for all the great support and advice. I am very very lucky to have had so much support over the last few months from you great Boomers. I had calls of support today from my cousin, one of my best friends, topdown who use to post on CR and is now a great friend, my former marriage counsellor (what a swell lady), my sister, my kids (tonight was the night I was to talk to them about my new lady friend, they are looking forward to meeting her on Saturday) and then from my new lovely lady herself who sent me a really great story to keep me up and positive. I am truly blessed. You guys are the greatest Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly and Steve, its great that you can run loops from your house to make up a long run. When you stop at home are you ever tempted to cut the run short, though? One nice thing about a long loop or out-and-back is you're committed to the distance.
              I've never really had that problem. I'm usually pretty committed to the distance, no matter how many stops I have to make to complete it. Stubborn, I guess. And I hate to have to carry water. Plus, a 2-3 minute potty/hydration stop makes me set out again with renewed vigor, sort of like a short walking break. Tall, you know we all want the best for you. {{{Tall and family}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I don't make the loops back to the house. Like Wildchild, I'd probably never leave again! I just don't carry water, have never found a method that works for me. Ok, take that back. I have carried a bottle, left it in the mail box at my folks' house, gone on for another 5-7 miles, and pick it up on the way back (refill it there, too!). I live in the hills and once I do that 2+ mile grind back up to the house, I'm not goin' out again! This day won't end.
                Mariposai

Tall...of course you deserve the best and we are here for you. I am glad to hear that the kids took it well. How old are they? Soundie...how lucky that lady was to have you in the bus to translate for her!!!. Good taper week sisstahhh. I also am one of those who do loops...just to make it safe in the early mornings or late night runs. I enjoy the distance away from home as much as I can...but I don't mind going loops especially if I am going to hit my nemesis. 6 miles on the mill after work today. Just eze, low HR miles. I visited the local high school gym for the first time tonight (the school got a grant to buy equipments) and the public is welcome to use the gym before and after school. It was fun to have company while running (something new to me), but I got tired of hearing over and over again that I do not need to be there...that I am skinny enough. One guy said...wow...look at them legs (I hope that was a positive comment) Angry

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I'm sure it was, dear! Think of the comments Holly gets; I'm sure all those comments are meant in the best way...! 60 minutes on the stationary bike tonight, 15.1 miles. Used the Interval program for the first time and I've had this thing for over two years! I usually just do hills, random or manual. Funny how you get in a rut like that... I really wanted to run today, but need to get at least one day of cross training to keep things somewhat balanced... Treadmill tomorrow... high temps forecast to be -10 most of this week!
                      late posting of what may be my fastest training run ever - time was short, and DH is sick, so i gave myself one hour - ran out for 30 minutes with music at 156 bpm; headed back and the last mile instead of slowing down, the music picked up to 160 bpm - i came back in 27 minutes! the numbers: 4.8 miles in 57.55, pace 12:03 (only the warmup was over 13, all the rest averaged below 12!). i would have made the 5 miles in 1 hour (DH didnt want me to go for 5 miles, thought i'd be gone too long (we had to chop wood in daylight when i got home). oh, i forgot the HRMSmile this penguin is speeding up... time to work, susan

Marathon Maniac #957

Think of the comments Holly gets
                        Wha?... Big grin Susan - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tag

Tall, I think I posted before you yesterday so didn't see yours until now. Sorry about the pending divorce. Having been through two of them, I'm an unfortunate "expert" with these. The key is to work at being cordial with each other for the kid's sake and to try settling everything without having to fight it out in a courtroom, if possible. Both parties can usually learn from what went wrong the previous time. Jen and I have now been married over 12 years which exceeds the length of the previous two added together. The difference this time has been we listen to each other and work on the inevitable problems that arise before they become major stumbling blocks. It also helps to have a few things in common you like to do together. It doesn't have to be running, although that's certainly a plus. Good Luck