Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 4.22.15 (oops!) (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the return of winter, Jlynne. Indoor cross training was a good plan for yesterday.

Slo, that is the first time I've heard of a doctor threatening to take someone off their roster because that person is too healthy to need to come in on a regular basis! I guess you're not doing enough to help them make money.

What an adventure getting to the start in Hopkinton on Monday, Aamos! I can understand how that took your minds off the weather, and made for a great bonding experience for everyone on the bus. Yikes! And then to read that Holly had a similar experience in '08. It makes one wonder how often things like that happen but most people never hear about it?

I'm glad Ribs and the Saint found a place to hide from the hail yesterday. That could'a hurt!

Nice 14 in the sunshine, Twocat!

Deeze, I'm sure your help was appreciated around the finish area after you did your stint at the start. I'm not surprised that so many racers were cramping and feeling the effects of hypothermia with that rain and wind. I'm sure your teammates appreciated your help on the ride home as well.

It was great to see CNY and meet her friends from the other Portland at Robin's par-tay. Please congratulate Lee on his terrific run on Monday - pretty good for only his 3rd marathon! Sounds like CNY and Ultra Amy had a great time racing together.

I got up a little late this morning, but still had time to squeeze in 4.3 quick RW miles. It was in the upper 30s, and you could hear the roaring surf from more than half a mile away - a remnant from yesterday's early rain as it moved up the coast into Maine. My pace ranged from the low 11s to the upper 10s - probably faster than I should have gone, but it felt terrific. It was so nice to get back on the roads after a couple of days off.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Still in race mode, Jay?  It was nice this morning.  Almost sunrise by the time I get out at 5:45 and 39°F.  Without the rain and wind, it's perfect.  3.8 miles at a somewhat unknown pace, as I apparently stuttered when I pushed the start button--a little ways in, I looked and had gone 8 ft . It was at a 3:19 pace, however.   So I know the distance and I'll figure out the time when I download.  Whatever it was, it felt good to be out.

Wait--isn't it Wednesday?  I may have to move.

eta:  I went back and confirmed--it is the 22nd, but not Tuesday.  I feel better.

Happy Hump Day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Morning Jay and Stumpy (and all to come).

I managed a 5k on some very sore legs. Haven't felt that in a while. I gave an honest effort on Monday.

Deex - the volunteers and fans make Boston something special. I know the race itself is a great course with lots of history. But guys like you out there doing what you do to help keep people moving is awesome. I actually had a lady in Nattik thank me for coming out as I coasted past. Just reminds me that I need to spend more time at water stops helping rather than running.

So many good stories lately and sorry about the snow Jlynne. It will be gone for a few months soon enough.

Hail is no fun when you run. Glad you found a place to be safe with your wife Ribs.

Off to Nashville so no rest for the weary.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Good morning Jay, Stumpy and C-R. Glad to hear that both of you had a great weather for your runs.

I agree, the volunteers and the crowd gives Boston the crown. I was so amazed at their non stop cheering and smiles even when they must have felt miserable with the rain and wind

Speedy Stacey  and I arrived back home last night just ontime for me to cook a delicious Chinese neal for my sweetie and then both of us put an honest 3 hours of work for Orchards in Bloom.  No running for me today nor the rest of the week. Just too much to do for the race and besides I feel pretty sore right now, which means I gave my best in Boston.

ohhh, did I tell you guys that my arns still hurt from giving so many high fives to the kids?

Cheers and Carpae Diem, my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Happy Earth Day!

Man - O - Man is the wind kicking my butt. I can't seem to catch a break on my commute. 24 mph head winds...bleh. I should accept it as a good workout though.

Another meeting for some walking trails in unused property belonging to the school district. Sitting in the meeting listening to the fantastic idea's that were being put forth it dawned on me...the bureaucrat sees first the reasons why these idea's won't work. The next thing they want to do is hire an "expert" to make it completely unafforadable.

It took me nine weeks to lose 16 lbs and only 2 to gain back 5.

Enjoy the day!

Dave59

It was snowing pretty hard during my 5 mile run this morning, but the snow doesn't last long. It'll snow for 5-10 minutes, then the sun will come out for 5-10 minutes, then snow, then sun.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks,

Fly-by just to say 4 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning, not wishing to go out into the steady rain....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I've been loving the Boston stories, both from the runners and the volunteers.  Keep 'em coming!

Aamos, your lost bus story was amazing, and like Jay said, it might happen more often than we hear about!

Karin, I'm not surprised you were cold - I saw your pictures on FB, and you were just in a singlet!  Brrr!  I  hear you about trying to change out of a wet sports bra when your hands aren't working right!

It's been snowing off and on here for the past several days, but that's normal for this time of year.  Still, I think I'll drive down to lower elevations today to do a trail run on bare dirt!

Happy Earth Day!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning' all,

O Holly, I was thinking I knew someone else had a bus mishap in the past, I just couldn't remember it was you!  I'm sure it happens every year; the BAA has to depend on buses and drivers from all over the state.  Sunday evening, we saw a Chicopee bus heading downtown, and you know that's out in the boonies............ CNY--just checking to  see if you're out there!

Speaking of, if your Boston was just running, I am really looking forward to your Chicago time.  You had an extremely solid race.  And glad to hear Lee had a 3:15.  Hope to see your chums next year.

Say Robin, your Melanoma folks were at the entrance of the Village when I got there being all supportive and welcoming despite the weather.

Dave, snow?  really?

Thanks again Kevin, for getting the Sunday Somerville run party going.  That was truly fun.  And Deez, you have to post about your triathlete son doing the Quebec  Ironman...keep us up on his progress training (and will he learn French, too?)

Mari, cooking as soon as you got back, really?  We managed to rustle up some soup and salads last night.  Simon seemed very happy to be home in his own "house" and didn't chase the cats around at all.  The vet assistant where we board him said he was talking a lot while he was there.  I think he takes after my people.  (DH is more of a stoic Midwesterner.)

......so stoic that he actually stood by at our hotel at the after race reception, where another runner was doing her best to convince me that once in my life, I need to go do the Comrades Ultra in South Africa (and my colleague at work has lived there; he's married to a woman from S.A.).

It was at that reception last year that I learned about the Boston to Big Sur deal that I'm in the midst of.

so 7 for me this morning in the warm.....unlike all the singletted folks Monday, I ran in layers of a long sleeve shirt with a singlet over it, topped by a rain jacket.....ball cap and ear band around it.......tights under shorts......and felt it was all good and necessary.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I'm loving reading all the Boston stories - runners, volunteers, and mishaps.

Still just stationary biking and core/ST for me.  The only good thing about the stationary biking is I'm getting to watch all the episodes of Downton Abbey.  My friend, Kate, sent all the DVDs to me at just the right time.  I'm hooked!  . . . Oh, and I guess I'm staying in relatively good physical shape, too.

I'm asking for prayers and positive vibes for our dept. secretary, Amy.  She had a PET scan yesterday, has another scan of some type today, as well as a biopsy of a lymph node, and tomorrow she finds out the results of everything.  The big concern is that her cancer has gotten into her lymph system.  Apparently, this is a very aggressive cancer.  The other paralegal in our dept - who is like a mother to her - is going with her to the doctor appt.  Things are about to get tough.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

So the national TV news is now spotlighting the weather headed into TX tonight and we're all excited here to watch the havoc once again, but this morning it was bright and beautiful as it often is before a storm moves in.

I ran solo this morning and got in 8.2 miles but on tired legs.

Got conference calls and writing to do rest of this week, no travel.   Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It looks like Boston wore everybody out.

I did 4 miles in another very windy day...29:52.  I'm just trying to maintain a little fitness for when I start back up next week.

Okay--that's all I got--see ya.

evanflein

Got a fun message from Orange Mat that she ran into a gal from Fairbanks while on a dinner cruise in Aruba! How funny is that? Apparently this person will call me when she gets home. It was good to hear from Esther. I told her she might've been on the same Aruba dinner cruise that DH and I were on some years ago! Wouldn't that be cool? Hmmm....

Our nice-but-not-"perfect" weather continues. Today got up to around 48° with just enough of a breeze to add a chill. The sun was warm though, and it was fun to see the beginnings of a shorts tan line on my legs! I think that's the earliest ever! I wanted to get out earlier for my run, but couldn't leave till 5. I've really got to do better at that because I'm working too much. 9 to 10 hour days don't really make you more productive, they just make you worn out. So... it was cool to get out and find my planned GA run was actually going to be more like a tempo run, with several 7:5x miles in the mix. Probably the slower end of tempo, and the miles weren't consistent (hard to do with traffic and overpass-hills), but good enough for tempo for me. 11.2 miles @ 8:02 avg pace. Quads got a little tired but overall felt good.